Fuel pump cost and kb boost a pump

harrij081266

Established Member
Okay, so my 03 needs its first fuel pump and the shop quotes $2,300 and I nearly lose my religion. I have been debating the purchase of a kb and am now wondering if the boost a pump replaces the existing stock pumps. If anyone knows please advise. I can't see paying this much for a fuel pump if the kb assembly replaces it anyway. Thanks in advance for any info.

serper3

Established Member
the boost a pump just feeds more volts to the pumps. it "boosts" the amount your current pumps can flow. thats a loooot of money for a fuel pump? are you having an issue with yours or just looking for more fuel for future mods?
if you are planning on upgrading, i would just do this:
Lethal Performance 99-04 4V Budget Return Style Fuel System [LP-9904BUDGETRETURN-4V] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs
this is lethal's budget kit, this with injectors and you wouldnt need anything else if you are not interested in e85 and will make less then 700ish... might be able to push it a bit more, but basically on the stock short block you would be good.
downside is, if you get this now and convert to return, you must retune your car

Last edited:

itSSlow98

Established Member
You should do some serious searching. But just for starters a BAP only supplies extra voltage to the actual pumps it does not do anyhing else. A full return style fuel system shouldnt even cost $2300 lol

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
To run a KB you can get Twin GT Fuel Pumps, 60lb injectors, upgraded fuel lines and a BAP with upgraded wiring kit and you'll be fine. It won't cost a lot to get these parts either.

TRBO VNM

OP, do some searching. From what you posted it sounds like one of your pumps went out and just needs to be replaced. You can find stock used pumps for probably 50-75 bucks each and the job takes about 2hrs for someone doing it for the first time.

But at the same time, $2300 sounds like they are building you a whole new fuel system....I hope.

Bottom line, you need to be more clear with what you are talking about and explain the situation. $2300 to just replace a stock pump is crazy. $2300 for parts and labor for a fuel system to support over 1000rwhp isn't as crazy, but still a little on the high side.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
the boost a pump just feeds more volts to the pumps. it "boosts" the amount your current pumps can flow. thats a loooot of money for a fuel pump? are you having an issue with yours or just looking for more fuel for future mods?
Lethal Performance 99-04 4V Budget Return Style Fuel System [LP-9904BUDGETRETURN-4V] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs
this is lethal's budget kit, this with injectors and you wouldnt need anything else if you are not interested in e85 and will make less then 700ish... might be able to push it a bit more, but basically on the stock short block you would be good.
downside is, if you get this now and convert to return, you must retune your car

I like everything about lethals return style setup, EXCEPT the fuel lines. It's my understanding that the line supplied in the kit gives off a lot of gas smell. It would be nice if they changed the kit with a different fuel line.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member

This will be my recommendation as well. I think the price he probably got quoted is accurate because Ford wants like $1600+ just for the stock Cobra pump assembly. I don't know where they get that pricing from, but that's what Ford wants, it's ridiculous.

Our budget system will support quite a bit of power, and it gives you the ability to upgrade when you exceed the limit of the budget system. All you need to do is unscrew the stock line adapter and reinstall the flare fitting and run the larger hoses.

Lethal Performance 4V Budget Return Fuel System

I like everything about lethals return style setup, EXCEPT the fuel lines. It's my understanding that the line supplied in the kit gives off a lot of gas smell. It would be nice if they changed the kit with a different fuel line.

The budget kit DOES NOT give off a lot of fuel smell, there is hardly any fuel line used. We've had a few customers notify us about fuel smells with our complete systems, but this is not the usual. In our experience, we've had 0 smells from our fuel systems on our shop cars that spend a lot of time in the bays and we use the same fuel lines on those cars. However, we will be offering another option that comes with a teflon coating and precrimped fittings that will eliminate any fuel smell. I don't have pricing on it yet, but there will be a upcharge.

Hope that helps, let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
This will be my recommendation as well. I think the price he probably got quoted is accurate because Ford wants like $1600+ just for the stock Cobra pump assembly. I don't know where they get that pricing from, but that's what Ford wants, it's ridiculous.

Our budget system will support quite a bit of power, and it gives you the ability to upgrade when you exceed the limit of the budget system. All you need to do is unscrew the stock line adapter and reinstall the flare fitting and run the larger hoses.

Lethal Performance 4V Budget Return Fuel System

The budget kit DOES NOT give off a lot of fuel smell, there is hardly any fuel line used. We've had a few customers notify us about fuel smells with our complete systems, but this is not the usual. In our experience, we've had 0 smells from our fuel systems on our shop cars that spend a lot of time in the bays and we use the same fuel lines on those cars. However, we will be offering another option that comes with a teflon coating and precrimped fittings that will eliminate any fuel smell. I don't have pricing on it yet, but there will be a upcharge.

Hope that helps, let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks.

Thats good to know! I posted a thread in Lethals section regarding your return style setups, with some questions.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
The OP might have one bad stock bump and peeps are telling him to completely rip out his returnless system, NICE advice guys:nonono: And Fagolla line seeps serious fuel odor, it's been verified by NUMEROUS svtp members and I've witnessed it in person..

Last edited:

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
Been selling our systems with this hose for 5 years and there's 4 or 5 members that have said something about the smell. Again, it's not the usual for the systems to have a smell, but that's not to say a couple customers haven't experienced this. But like I said, we have another option coming soon that will eliminate any smell.

RichM1983

Established Member
I didn't read all of the posts but you can do a search on google for anchor room. That guy has stock pumps and can sell you both of them cheap.

The reason its 2300 quote is that from ford your getting the whole hat and assembly....oh and its a super huge rip off.

harrij081266

Established Member
Gents, I greatly appreciate the recommendations, but you better believe I have already researched this. Good Year is (was) doing the work and they quoted the $2300. I went to Ford to check the price and it was $2253.53! They report having to buy the full assembly to get it done, thats why its so expensive. If you search (google) you will see... Again thanks and I will check on that used unit. Truly appreciate info on kb boost system.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Gents, I greatly appreciate the recommendations, but you better believe I have already researched this. Good Year is (was) doing the work and they quoted the $2300. I went to Ford to check the price and it was $2253.53! They report having to buy the full assembly to get it done, thats why its so expensive. If you search (google) you will see... Again thanks and I will check on that used unit. Truly appreciate info on kb boost system.

Everyone on here is giving you good advice.
Thank God you checked before giving them the go ahead.

I have two -6 Fragola lines coming off a modified fuel hat.
On a rare occasion I will get a hint of a fuel smell in my enclosed garage.
It may not even be the fuel lines.

Lethal is a great company to deal will treat you right.
I have seen used low mileage fuel pumps for sale in the Market section recently if you are on a tight budget.
Where in the "Dirty South" are you?

Maverick-4

Established Member
I just did my fuel pump on my sixer mustang last week, got the pump used for $50 and $19 for a new grommet to seal the neck fuel filler plus a few hrs of labor. The job is very easy, just messy if u have fuel in ur gas tank...

TRBO VNM

We all know they are that expensive from the dealer. No need for us to search and why we are giving you the recommendations we are.

Maverick-4

Established Member

I think what we mean by "research this" is you need to look into what is required by a KB or Whipple install. :read:

There are no dumb questions but if you do some research on the main components needed for the install you'll understand better what each do and what the best option for you is since you have to replace a pump at this point anyways.

Lots of good info here in the forums on going twin screw. Also visit the Kene Bell website, there is good info on what a BAP is and what it does for you...

serper3

Established Member
The OP might have one bad stock bump and peeps are telling him to completely rip out his returnless system, NICE advice guys:nonono: And Fagolla line seeps serious fuel odor, it's been verified by NUMEROUS svtp members and I've witnessed it in person..

The op said he is thinking of getting a kb.
if it were me, it would not be about the money spent on buying the oem pump that might be replaced by bigger pumps in the future... it would be about not having to drop the tank again and messing with anything when its kb time.

2003snake

Established Member
Stock Fuel Pump (10) in stock - if you are ever looking for anything specific there is also a 'hidden' search feature at the bottom called 'advanced search' >> Anchor Room

Users who are viewing this thread