FTBR Front Brembo Review

snakeraper11b

Established Member
The lighter rotor assembly weighs 16.5#. The HD road race rotor assemblies are approximately 20.2# each. This puts our lighter rotor assembly at 8.7# weight savings over the one pc GT 500 rotor which equates to a total weight savings of 17.4# for the pair.

Bruce, does this use a different rotor than the GT500 design? On the FTBR page the GT500 2 piece rotors are advertised as 19.8 lbs for the street version and 23.8 lbs for the HD version. Whats the difference between the 14" rotors?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Bruce, does this use a different rotor than the GT500 design? On the FTBR page the GT500 2 piece rotors are advertised as 19.8 lbs for the street version and 23.8 lbs for the HD version. Whats the difference between the 14" rotors?

Garrett:

This is a completely different rotor than the GT 500 rotor. The GT 500 rotor has a very tall braking surface which is what adds to the incredible mass (i.e. weight) of the GT 500 rotor. This rotor has a shorter braking surface which is why it's so much lighter. That and the fact it has an aluminum floating hat. 14" braking leverage is 14" braking leverage and that additional braking face on the GT 500 just adds unecessary weight IMHO. And unecessary weight, particularly rotating mass and unsprung weight, is a downgrade in performance, especially when it's on the heavy front end of a Mustang.

Hope that helps.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Garrett:

This is a completely different rotor than the GT 500 rotor. The GT 500 rotor has a very tall braking surface which is what adds to the incredible mass (i.e. weight) of the GT 500 rotor. This rotor has a shorter braking surface which is why it's so much lighter. That and the fact it has an aluminum floating hat. 14" braking leverage is 14" braking leverage and that additional braking face on the GT 500 just adds unecessary weight IMHO. And unecessary weight, particularly rotating mass and unsprung weight, is a downgrade in performance, especially when it's on the heavy front end of a Mustang.

Hope that helps.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

That clears it all right up. I was originally going to go with the vintage venom kit, but since they pretty much f****d me recently with a case of, "we tell you this price, but it's different when you go to buy by $400 for no reason", I'm going to save a few hundred more and go with the FTBR kit. That, and I like the fact of being able to go with the heavy duty 14" rotor and it weighing the same amount as the oem 13" rotor :rockon:

weaselp1

Established Member
That clears it all right up. I was originally going to go with the vintage venom kit, but since they pretty much f****d me recently with a case of, "we tell you this price, but it's different when you go to buy by $400 for no reason", I'm going to save a few hundred more and go with the FTBR kit. That, and I like the fact of being able to go with the heavy duty 14" rotor and it weighing the same amount as the oem 13" rotor :rockon:

You can't go wrong with the FTBR kit....it is an amazing kit and also at a great price! :banana:

I have been driving around my cobra for about a week now with the kit and it is simply amazing! I should have done a brake upgrade sooner! Thanks Bruce for making a quality kit!

weaselp1

Established Member
OP, What was the final price for the kit?

Taken from post #17:

It's pretty much the same as the 355x32mm Brembo Gran Turismo kit seen here at Tire-Rack:

Brembo GT 355mm Big Brake Kit

I'm sure you can find the profile for the kit on line to determine if your wheels are going to fit.

The kit will come two ways, with a lightweight rotor for street/strip use and a HD road race rotor for the track. Both floating rotors utilize the same floating hat and are interchangeable. The lighter rotor assembly weighs 16.5#. The HD road race rotor assemblies are approximately 20.2# each. This puts our lighter rotor assembly at 8.7# weight savings over the one pc GT 500 rotor which equates to a total weight savings of 17.4# for the pair. That is the type of weight savings you find with wheels that cost $500 a piece. Even the HD road race rotors will save you a handsome 10# of rotating mass and unsprung weight for a pair! Rotating mass and unsprung weight are the performance insiders secret to going fast.

The street/strip kit will run $2,500.00 and the HD kit will run $2,600.00. The HD rotors cost us significantly more unfortunately.

We hope to have the kits available towards the end of May.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
OP or Bruce, what is the dimensions of the Brembo lettering on the caliper in inches or mm, doesn't matter? I just ordered my new F50's on ebay but I want them red and those are harder than hell to find. I'm going to strip them when I get back, bead blast, high temp red paint, new high temp decal and powder clear them. Only problem is, I want the same size lettering and I won't have access to the calipers for 6 1/2 more months. Thanks for your help.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
The vintage venom brembo caliper is a once piece versus other calipers which are a two piece caliper.

Check there site for the tech details on why a one piece is "better" than a two piece.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
OP or Bruce, what is the dimensions of the Brembo lettering on the caliper in inches or mm, doesn't matter? I just ordered my new F50's on ebay but I want them red and those are harder than hell to find. I'm going to strip them when I get back, bead blast, high temp red paint, new high temp decal and powder clear them. Only problem is, I want the same size lettering and I won't have access to the calipers for 6 1/2 more months. Thanks for your help.

The brembo lettering is 12.5mm high by 58mm long.

0302Cobra

Established Member
Just to clarify the FTBR kit is a 4 piston two peice caliper with two piece light weight rotors. Is this correct? Thanks.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
The vintage venom brembo caliper is a once piece versus other calipers which are a two piece caliper.

Check there site for the tech details on why a one piece is "better" than a two piece.

Unless you're a professional driver, using your vehicle at it's absolute limits, you won't be able to tell the difference. Hell, you probably still won't notice it. Ford uses the same caliper on it's FR500C race car that dominates....Besides, FTBR is miles ahead of vintage venom.

Last edited:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Unless you're a professional driver, using your vehicle at it's absolute limits, you won't be able to tell the difference. Hell, you probably still won't notice it. Ford uses the same caliper on it's FR500C race car that dominates....Besides, FTBR is miles ahead of vintage venom.

I put "better" in quotations for a reason...... The difference was mentioned and I simply posted it :beer:

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

Troy:

Brembo "Racing" calipers are two pc. Racing calipers are used buy all types of people from professional to amateur racers. Saying a one pc caliper is better than a two pc caliper is what some people like to use as a sales tool.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Troy:

Brembo "Racing" calipers are two pc. Racing calipers are used buy all types of people from professional to amateur racers. Saying a one pc caliper is better than a two pc caliper is what some people like to use as a sales tool.

Bruce,

I'm with you brother, im not arguing or even slightly disagreeing with you.

There was sarcasm in my original post where I put "better" in quotations. I was merely mocking this guy:

I would go with the Venom kit, simply for the fact of better caliper.

in his reply to this guy:

I did not see the kit on the website yet, just the rotors. How does this kit stack up to the Vintage Venom kit? What are the key differences and which Brembo caliper is used here? I am in the market for big brakes right now. I run the VV F14 kit on my '98GT, but am interested in possibilities for my 04 Cobra.

At the time I just did a poor job at displaying my sarcasm. Maybe I should have taken a few more seconds and posted this smiley: :rollseyes

SVT_Troy

Established Member
It's all good Troy. You are correct, I somehow missd it! :(

No prob!

Now my real question for you is how do you think this caliper stacks up against the ever so popular (and cheaper) Baer caliper.

Of course where excluding the weight savings on your rotors

Users who are viewing this thread