FS - 2000 Cobra R #21/300, no mods, no race, 650 original miles...................

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Robert,

I was trying to be funny seeing how there were minimal miles on car. :beer:

Yes, one would "assume" that with so little miles there would be no issues, but let me tell a brief story.................

After selling my 1995 Cobra R I went Challenger SRT-8 shopping, I know it's a Dodge, but I like the look!! Anyway, I wanted an 09 model, something built before the "bailout", something built before "Fiat", etc. I knew exactly what I wanted, a 425 horse Trak Pak optioned, 6spd. 3.92 gear SRT-8 in TorRed that was fully optioned, so I went shopping for one about 3 months ago (very late in the model year). I found two east of the Mississippi that were exactly what I was looking for, one in N.C., one in WI. The one in N.C. had 13 original miles, the one in WI had 135 original miles, both had been kept in the dealer showroom since they arrived on the transporter. Of course the N.C. car is much closer to me so it was a no brainer, BUT after a deposit was given and the paperwork was started the sales person said that he had something to "mention"............I said what is that? He said the car has had the rear bumper cover replaced, I said "What.......Why"!?!?!? It seems that when the car was being unloaded from the rail car in VA. before being loaded on the truck transporter for the trip to N.C., the car had backed into something and the rubber bumper cover had gotten creased. I told the salesman that I wanted to see the pictures that were taken to claim the damage back to the transport company, no pictures could be produced. I wanted to see the removed/creased bumper cover, it was gone. After I further discussed this car directly with the body shop, it ended up that the car had a bumper cover replaced, the bumper bar under the rubber cover, the two brackets the attach the cover to the ends of the 1/4 panels left and right and a tail light lens. I said "a tail light lens"?!?!?!? I know that the rear bumper on this car is far away from the tail light lens, I knew that the damage was much more than a small crease in the rubber cover. You would never have thought that a brand new car at a dealership would have had this kind of damage, it only had 13 miles on it. I bought the car in WI and had it shipped to Fla.

Even with the previous/repaired damage, the N.C. SRT-8 was still at MSRP and they would not come off of the price at all. The damage on the N.C. car was not major, but the documentation will follow it all of its life in the Dodge system and anyone who knows these cars and looks for repaint, incorrect overspray, etc. will know that the N.C. car has had "issues" in the rear area and then the nagging questions........what happened and how bad was it?!?!

As shown in the picture below, it would take quite a hit to get all the way to a tail light lens on one of these cars.

Picture1650.jpg

Moral to the story, ultra miles "usually" means no issues, past or current, but sometimes............

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
i still have yet to play with an srt8 challanger :(

It is a heavy car, no question about that. The GT500 is in the 3850-3900 range, the SRT-8 is around 4000. For its weight, the 425 h.p. is much lower power to weight ratio than the GT500's 500 or 540, but..........it is what it is.

The thing that amazed me is that a current American Muscle car would be factory equipped with a 3.92 ratio rear axle!! Those 3.92's and the Viper 6spd. help to get the 4K pounds up and going. The auto. trans Challengers have a 3.06 gear, at 4K pounds, Yuck!! 3.92 and 3.06 is a world of difference when you are talking about moving 4K pounds from a stand still start.

R

Last edited:

mike1284

mcdougal
Established Member
It is a heavy car, no question about that. The GT500 is in the 3850-3900 range, the SRT-8 is around 4000. For its weight, the 425 h.p. is much lower power to weight ratio than the GT500's 500 or 540, but..........it is what it is.

The thing that amazed me is that a current American Muscle car would be factory equipped with a 3.92 ratio rear axle!! Those 3.92's and the Viper 6spd. help to get the 4K pounds up and going. The auto. trans Challengers have a 3.06 gear, at 4K pounds, Yuck!! 3.92 and 3.06 is a world of difference when you are talking about moving 4K pounds from a stand still start.

R

got to drive a 6spd r/t once. moved out decent for as big as these things are. i love the look of them, no doubt. the weight isnt a huge issue for me either. just too big of a car IMO, and i hate the hydraulic clutch.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
got to drive a 6spd r/t once. moved out decent for as big as these things are. i love the look of them, no doubt. the weight isnt a huge issue for me either. just too big of a car IMO, and i hate the hydraulic clutch.

I haven't driven a 5.7L 375 horse R/T, only the 6.1L 425 horse SRT-8. I would guess that the extra cubes and the 50 additional h.p. would make some difference in how a car of that size and weight gets moving. It is a bigger/larger car than my GT500.

I was thinking about the weight difference between the GT500 and the Challenger, the GT500 in the 3850 range (maybe 3900 w/Shaker 1000) and the Challenger in the 4000 range. WOW, a 150 friend of mine rides with me in the GT500 and suddenly I am at 4000 with a simple passenger addition!! Doesn't seem to be such a big difference when in reality it could be something as simple as someone riding with you that equalizes the comparable weights. Suddenly they don't seem so far apart, except when it comes to power.

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
what year shelby do you have?

I specifically bought an 08 for a couple of reasons, HID's and Sat. Radio delete. <<<No HID's in 2007, no option to delete Sat. Radio in 2009. I bought the car new to have the 725 Super Snake conversion.

R

Users who are viewing this thread