FRPP Supercharger Upgrade Problem

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
I thiink you can install your own SC and still have a warranty on it. Problem that you don't understand is most of the times when something happens they will find a way to not warranty it. Will say you did this or you did that. I have no idea why everyone thinks they can boost the HP beyone factory specs and think they dealer is going to say sure no problem. You broke an axle, snapped the U joints, ripped teeth off the trans gear, blew a hole through 2 pistons, and snapped a rod. Don't worry it's all covered just come on back in a few weeks.

For all the money you waste paying the dealer you could save. Read the instructions that come with most aftermarket parts. Install yourself and use the money you save to buy more mods, or just pocket. Only way to know it is done right is to do it yourself. Then you never have to question did he do this or was that bold put back right.

kens88gt

Established Member
So here's what I found. I checked the in line fuse figuring that it should be blown after the long drive yesterday but it was not. So I take the car for a drive to get it good and hot. Come back home and get it up on the race ramps and only driver side fan is working but no blown fuse for the non-working one. After removing a few things to gain access to the heat exchanger, I saw the one white connector was not connected so I connected it. Started it up and nothing....fan still inoperative. Started to go thru the wiring and the yellow wire from te relay for the non-working fan comes out fo the wire loom in my hand (sign of a quality wiring job). I open up the wire loom and the crimp connector must not have been done properly plus it is an ordinary crimp connector and not a waterproof one. Normally I solder and use heat shrink tubing. I redo the connection and ran it about 10 minutes or so, both fans running and no blown fuse. Will need to take it our for a ride but might be OK now. Dealer told me as soon as it got hot and fans came on it blew a fuse; this is contrary to what I am seeing. If this solves the problem then I will need to go thru all of their wiring and redo.

mgmustang1

Established Member
sounds like you solved that problem. What did they say about the loss of power? Was it just a tune issue?

breoland

Established Member
what dealership did you goto? would like to know so i never end up there
obviously the did not recheck their work

kens88gt

Established Member
If I believe what I was told by the shop, the problem was in the tune from Ford. Like said, as soon as I get the time it goes to a mod shop and onto the dyno, It would be interesting to see how much power it is making.
I wonder how much it could make to the rear wheels with a custom tune. Everyone says the FRPP tune is really conservative.
As far as the dealer, I don't want to drag their name thru the mud on a forum but after what I was told yesterdya and what I found today, needless to say I will not be going there again.

kens88gt

Established Member
Just took that car for a ride and checked everything when I got back......both intercooler fans are running and no blown fuse. Also forgot to mention that the intercooler pump apparently wasn't working before and now it has good flow.
+1 on doing it yourself!

ctozzi

Established Member
good job man, plus now you know how to fix any issues in the future. Sounds like you still need a top notch dyno tune. I've heard from alot of guys on here that the FRPP tune leaves alot to be desired. Not sure where you live but maybe a solid dyno tune will wake up your blower and put that smile back on your face.
Chris

kens88gt

Established Member
There's a good one not all that far from where I live. I want to watch the car for a couple of weeks, but it will undoubdtedly end up there.

breoland

Established Member
If I believe what I was told by the shop, the problem was in the tune from Ford. Like said, as soon as I get the time it goes to a mod shop and onto the dyno, It would be interesting to see how much power it is making.
I wonder how much it could make to the rear wheels with a custom tune. Everyone says the FRPP tune is really conservative.
As far as the dealer, I don't want to drag their name thru the mud on a forum but after what I was told yesterdya and what I found today, needless to say I will not be going there again.

I live in the tri state area and have friends with mustangs...Forums like this are suppose to help each other.
Email me the name of the dealership so i know in the future not to go there. Im sure others would want to know as well
[email protected]

what is the other mod shop that you will be going to in the future? is it a big secrete.
Id like to know as well to see my options

F8L SN8K

Established Member
After reading so many people having drivability and durability issues with their cars after some aftermarket companies have laid their hands on a car it would be an extremely slim chance I'd take the risk. To me it's not worth the 15-25 additional HP on a street car that a person won't really notice. The 605hp installed by a Ford dealer gives you the 605+HP and retains a factory warranty. Either one or both of those was important to the OP and to some others. Otherwise they would have taken it to some shop or installed themselves and/or used a aftermarket pieced together kit. For me I'm not concerned about warranties but I am concerned about drivability and durability. I know I would want more power then the 605hp so for me I like the FRPP 750hp package and install it myself. I'd rather make 15-25 less HP and have less issues and Im in a culture in racing where we spend thousands of dollars to find 2-5hp and .05 ET. However on street cars it's just not worth it as they can't use everything they have anyways without making them worse on the livability scale. JMO if 605+HP isn't enough 640 won't be either.

mullens

Established Member
I've had custom tunes from about every vendor and FRPP tunes and honestly I can't tell the SOTP difference. I'm really not concerned with the BS 12/12 warranty it's just the piece of mind of having a 50 state tune developed by Ford Racing.

I think our reputable tuners are very skilled and take pride in providing a safe product. Those who choose to go that route have nothing to worry about. Now, if I had a 5.0 I wouldn't tune it with a 10ft pole until they get that #8 debacle figured out. These motors however, are a different story.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread