FRPP Supercharger Upgrade Problem

kens88gt

Established Member
Had the 605hp kit installed. Car did not feel like it was running right on the way down to Myrtle Beach. Had the car on a dyno here and only put out 415 rwhp. When you get on it with boost it feels kind of jerky. When I first start out it has a long hesitation or bog until above 2k rpms.....almost like no power. Any ideas???

F8L SN8K

Established Member
The first place I would look is plugs and belt condition. If both check out ok I'd start looking at unplugged lines and vacuum leaks. Then diving deeper into checking fuses and fuel system items.

bull3441

Established Member
i'm sure you did this, but the procal doesn't come with a tune downloaded. you have to send Ford your VIN and then they email the tune. did you do this?

kens88gt

Established Member
Stock pulley
Yes to the VIN and the procal
This is the first real opportunity I had to drive the car since the mod; prior to this it was home from the shop.
Done by a Ford dealer.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
Stock pulley
Yes to the VIN and the procal
This is the first real opportunity I had to drive the car since the mod; prior to this it was home from the shop.
Done by a Ford dealer.

It's obviously not right. Since you paid for the install at a dealer I'd take it back to them and explain what it's doing. They need to make it right since it was a paid job.

With that being said, I'd have to agree with f8l. Check the basics, unplugged sensors, vacuum lines, etc. Probably something simple they forgot.

Did it throw the CEL?

kens88gt

Established Member
No codes or lights.
Already called the dealer on Wednesday and they told me it was a result of the heat....BS!

kens88gt

Established Member
Thanks...will check that as well.
Person who dyno'd my car noted that curves were a series a peaks and valleys (particularly the torque) and not smooth as you would expect. He suggested that the supercharger was blowing the spark out? and to change the plugs and gap at .032

Moody03SVT

Hear2Learn@Teach
Established Member
yea the plugs should definitely have been changed, probably to a lower heat level and gapped as suggested by tuner. This is really sad and frustrating to hear this is happening from a Ford Dealership who is supposed to be trained. Who did you speak with when you called to ask about it? if you spoke with customer service or a front desk service person then they are NOT the right people to speak to, often they are not very well educated on specifics for these cars. Definitely speak with technician who worked on your car and make sure you get this right because you don't want a headache on your hands if something goes wrong with the car.

mullens

Established Member
At the 11-12psi for the 605hp TVS the the stock plugs should be fine. (Ford Racing agrees). You wouldn't get that degree of spark blowout from that much boost. My 08 had the same set-up and ran great on stock plugs.

I'd go with a bad bypass, but doesn't a bad bypass throw a code? I beleive it's P0243 Supercharger wastegate solenoid.

Last edited:

mullens

Established Member
That's the only reason it's worth it to spend the money on a dealer install...they have to stand behund it.

kens88gt

Established Member
Yes, I agree with standing behind it but now I feel that if I went with one of the "name" mod shops, I may not have had this issue. The wasted time is an issue as I now need to take off from work, go to the shop, wait for them to diagnose, and then determine if I can wait for the fix or have to make another trip back. :(

kens88gt

Established Member
So talked to the dealer service counter person today and this is becoming a nightmare:
1. Told me the recall that was done by another dealer may have caused the problem by way of wiring something incorrectly which affected the chip. Does the 08C02-Reprogram Restraint Control Module involve any rewiring? She realy wasn't sure about this.
2. Had to order a new chip which won't come in until tomorrow, hopefully? Didn't know what chip they were referring to on the paperwork or what caused it to go bad.
3. Cleaned the boost gauge; what would that have to do with it? She couldn't answer.
4. Told me on my new C_R heat exchanger with dual fans that they installed that one of the fans keeps blowing a fuse and they don't know why.
She really couldn't answer any questions I asked.
Any suggestions or ideas other tahn take it to a real shop?

kens88gt

Established Member
Did a search on the recall and found "Dealers will reprogram the restraint control module free of charge."; so I need to give the shop the benefit of the doubt and assume the service counter person did not understand.

Users who are viewing this thread