Front Tires: BFG KDW 2's or Nitto 555's?

Which Front Tire? (Keeping Stock Rims for now)

• Total voters

Moody03SVT

Hear2Learn@Teach
Established Member
Also in NC and listening in, not daily driver but could be and 641rwhp.

When my set is up I am thinking R888 in the back (although they are not recommended for highway use or when roads are wet) but not sure in the front. Heard good things about Michelin pilot super sport tires but $$$

Rygy04

SVT
Established Member
The "which tire" debate is a tough one, and it drives me nuts.

Size is also a factor.

I understand the KDW's can be loud but I am not really concerned about that; my car is not a DD; I will have an O/R x barking; and if they are loud, atleast i know they are making good contact, right...? http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/images/smilies/shrug.gif

Considering I am only lowering the rear of my car 1.5 inches, the front will be the same as it sits.

Unless someone can talk me out of it... I am going this route:

FRONT: 255/45/18 BFG KDW's (Fair pricing, easily accessible, badass looking)

REAR: 285/40/18 NITTO NT05R's (Fit's nicely on my stock rim, Grabs better then the 555R's, badass looking) - a little skinny then what I want but I am not going to widen my rims ($380 a pot) or get a whole new rim setup. I am used to 315's on my Terminator. I guess the 285 will do!

Thanks for the poll's fella's! Don't be affraid to try and steer me in a different direction for those who have swapped tires on these cars. I just got my GT500 2 months ago with 2k miles on it....

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
Also in NC and listening in, not daily driver but could be and 641rwhp.

When my set is up I am thinking R888 in the back (although they are not recommended for highway use or when roads are wet) but not sure in the front. Heard good things about Michelin pilot super sport tires but $$$
Here is a thread that touches on the r888 vs 555r question.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/suspension-modifications-211/753831-nitto-555rs-toyo-r888s.html

I get the impression that while the r888 may not hook quite like the 555r, it is a better choice for wet and cornering. I actually have about 12,000 miles on my 555r rears (street driving) and expect 14-15K from them. I've found they corner decent and handle light rain acceptably.

Many advise running them on all 4 corners. Not sure how they'd do with the 555 up front, that I have now.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
315 R888 on the rear with Conti DW up front for me.

gtwo

Established Member
I switched from bfg radial ta to a maxxis Bravo ht-760 tire and it made a huge difference. Would definitely recommend them, made my 5.4 much easier to drive on the street.

Last edited:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Ya I am widening my rear rims to slap on the Nitto05R 315/40/18's

I am just determining what I want up front. The BFG tread pattern is awesome though!

they look good and thats about it imo. and my tire guy. not a great tire and overpriced imo.

Thanks Fellas.

I think I am going to get the KDW 2's. My best friend is running them on the front of his C5 and loves them. Plus they are reasonably priced which means if they don't work out I won't hate myself for years to come. Plus they look mean as hell.

i think theyre overpriced. nittos are the best bang for the buck tires out there. nittos and hankook ventus evo v12. thats a good choice for front tire.

unless you're worried about rain, why not run the matching nt05 up front? not the DR version but the regular version.

Users who are viewing this thread