Front Tires: BFG KDW 2's or Nitto 555's?

Which Front Tire? (Keeping Stock Rims for now)

• Total voters

Rygy04

SVT
Established Member
Simple,

Which tire would you run? I am getting rid of these crap F1's with only 2500 miles on them. Or would you recommend a different tire...?

What were they thinking when they put grooves in the sidewall of these F1's anyway?

einehund

Established Member
As soon as my goodyears are shot (which they soon are) I'll be switching to the BFG G-force Sport Comp 2's. I had the origional G-force Sports on my old mustang and those tires gripped like nothing else.

bull3441

Established Member
the Nitto's are very good. I just put a new front pair on. My last pair lasted over 27k miles. I had a lot more meat left but Ford screwed up my alignment and I had uneven tread wear. 555's in the front and NTO5R's in the back is a good combo.

Rygy04

SVT
Established Member
Ya I am widening my rear rims to slap on the Nitto05R 315/40/18's

I am just determining what I want up front. The BFG tread pattern is awesome though!

E.Marquez

Established Member
Im on my third set of 555's... never again.... they go off very quickly.... then last for months on end after but are hard as a rock, slide in the heat and cold, spin with ease and hydroplane with a hint of water.

They are fun for the first few 1000 miles, but after that.. not happy...

Daily driver? or weekend toy? Track fun of street only? It all makes a difference.

DD 3 season tire my new fav is the Conti Extrem Contact DW.

I dont run at the track so others can chime in there.

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
some of the newer Potenzas are absolutely sticky as glue for a DD...thats what im running on my 04 cobra.

Rygy04

SVT
Established Member
My car is mainly spirited weekend driving.

However I have done road courses with it before and ironically enough I was on MIS Nascar speedway with it last Friday. (Whole other story)

I really like the look of the KDW's. I will look into the Ps2's and the Potenzas.

Rygy04

SVT
Established Member
Thanks Fellas.

I think I am going to get the KDW 2's. My best friend is running them on the front of his C5 and loves them. Plus they are reasonably priced which means if they don't work out I won't hate myself for years to come. Plus they look mean as hell.

sedanman

Established Member
I had KDW2 on my 04 cobra and have put numerous sets on friends car. They look great, last reasonably long and perform well. My big complaint is they are VERY NOISY! So I probably won't run them again because of that.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I had the 555s at first and hated them, im currently running bridgestone potenza re760, I would recommend them, super nice ride.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
+1 on the Conti Extreme Contact DW.

Last edited:

white88lx

Established Member
The 555's are good initially but after you get some miles on them they get very hard and are worthless after that. It has happened with a few sets, I just recently purchased the invo's and hoping to see better results from those.

IA Shelby

Established Member
I had KDW2 on my 04 cobra and have put numerous sets on friends car. They look great, last reasonably long and perform well. My big complaint is they are VERY NOISY! So I probably won't run them again because of that.

Yep - these are very noisy!

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member

Yep - these are very noisy!

+1000

I had the KDW II's on my Cobra and the road noise drove me crazy.

I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Super Sports and could not be happier. Super quiet, great traction, smooth ride and high mileage. They are top rated by TireRack consumers.:thumbsup:
Consumer Survey Results By Category

69Mach1351w

Established Member
What size would you guys go with for a 2011 on stock 19" SVTPP front rims.

Stock rim size calls for: 265-40-19
The two main options for that exact size are: Goodyear Eagle (not ever putting these back on) or expensive Michelin.

I have heard good things about the
Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport, but sizes are either 245-40 or 275-35.
My father runs those on his FGT and it felt great during summer. How is it during these "colder months."

The Nitto Invo is about the same price, and offers a closer size. Just a touch less sidewall than stock: 265-30-19. They also have a 275.

I assume that going up from 265-275, or 10MM, would not have a dramatic effect on handling. This is my DD after all, im not a professional road racer.

Im in NC, and with cooler weather and the potential to get caught in a quick downpour, or maybe even a touch of snow( i avoid it like the plague if i can) i am hesitant to slap on the tires i have on my rear, but, I have also heard of people running the Nitto NT-05.
Although they seem to handle great during wet conditions. Would these be OK for front tires? Of the 3 tires mentioned in my post, which do you guys think would be best.

Goal is: Decent handling, decent treadwear/life, and good rain drive-ability. I dont want to replace front tires after 16K miles like im facing now. My alignment must have been off from factory as the outer 1/4 of the stock eagle's are worn dramatically. I have a steep driveway to road curb, which i take at an angle, but perhaps that is flexing my stock suspension out of alignment.

any comments would be appreciated!

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
Every one of these tire posts/polls confuses me worse.

Besides the type of driving (DD, road course, drag) the locale and weather conditions
play a heavy role. Would be neat if someone created a matrix showing the best tire choices for all these variables. I.e. I DD on dry days (three seasons in the north) where I face temp swings from 50 to 90 degrees and can occasionally get caught in the rain. When my 555r rears wear out (this fall) I want to get something that can handle 530 rwhp and not put me in a ditch if I hit an unexpected puddle. Right now I am leaning towards the r888s.

As it sits now, I can get loose rolling into it in 2nd on these 60 degree nights. Not comforting!

Users who are viewing this thread