front plates

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
I am not putting holes in my virgin front bumper.....Mass. requires a front plate.....is the plate in the windshield sufficient? What are my other options? :shrug:

TTA89

Established Member
This is what I would never do because its not legal. :dw:

Step 1. Pull into parking lot across from inspection place.

Step 2. Get 4 Zip Ties, Put 2 together and wrap them around the front of the bumper where the intercooler opening is. Zip Tie plate to bumper.

Step 3. Drive into Inspection and get sticker.

Step 4. Drive back across the street, take cutters and cut zip ties. Put Front plate back on the floor behind the drivers seat and wait for next year.

Rinse, Recycle, Repeat.

I'm going on I dunno how many years of not doing this now. :coolman:

EastCoast5.0

Established Member
TTA89 said:

Step 2. Get 4 Zip Ties, Put 2 together and wrap them around the front of the bumper where the intercooler opening is. Zip Tie plate to bumper.

Step 4. Drive back across the street, take cutters and cut zip ties. Put Front plate back on the floor behind the drivers seat and wait for next year.

Rinse, Recycle, Repeat.

This may work....though I can tell you at the shop I used to work at that wouldn't fly. It might take a few shops to pass doing that. I hate the frontplate, it sucks.

Davesnake

you wanna go!
Established Member
TTA89 said:

Rinse, Recycle, Repeat.

LOL your killing me.....you might as well put a bullseye on your car if you don't have a front plate on in my town....

Dave

v8musclecobra

Established Member
i saw some guy with a hide-away on his front. Tucked in under his bumper and came out with the push of a button. Pretty sick and could wither be visible or not.

No Such Luck

GMR Performance
Established Member
NJ requires front plates too, but I would smoke crack before I ever put holes in my bumper. When inspection time comes around, refer to post 4!!!

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Interesting Idea ... I would make sure to put some paddding between the plate and the bumper cover.

Texas requires a front plate as well but it is apparently NOT part of the inspection process. I have my front plate velcro'd to the passenger side visor ... when I drive the visor is down .... sometimes ....It seems to work ...

I would NOT lay it in the windshield .. in a accident it can become a flying guillotine (sp?). Better to batten it down with something and keep your head ...

stangkid

Established Member
TTA89 said:

Rinse, Recycle, Repeat.

I think two sided tape would be a better idea than this. :shrug:

luv2hiss

Transplanted again...
Established Member
I'm with you...two sided tape it is for me...unless I can locate my friendly inspector who doesn't seem to pay attention to small details such as no front plate, no cats, etc...

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
luv2hiss said:
I'm with you...two sided tape it is for me...unless I can locate my friendly inspector who doesn't seem to pay attention to small details such as no front plate, no cats, etc...

Frankly I would be worried that double sided tape would leave marks on the bumper and mar the paint if left there for a long time ... :shrug: not something I would want to chance but that is just me ....

whitecobra98

Established Member
luv2hiss said:
It's not the inspection you have to worry about, its the attention that car will get from l.e. Not worth getting pulled over and them finding everything else wrong with the car.

TTA89

Established Member
Man you guys are way too Anal. It takes all of about 30 seconds to tip tie it to the bottom of the front bumper. It doesn't scratch anything, your driving a total of about 500 feet across the street and back.

I got pulled over at 1am for having tint that 4% darker than whats legal, said nothing about not having a front plate.

Nothing looks more lame than a front plate on Mustang, Vette, or F-body.

Last edited:

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
If you get caught in Mass without a front plate, it's a moving violation, 2 points are added onto your insurance premium for 6 years. I got pulled over when I owned a 99 Firebird WS6 and also with my 01 Vette. The cop in 1999 gave me a break with the Firebird, but the asshole cop wrote me up on the vette. Had to hire a lawyer who knew the clerk of court, and got it squashed. I purchased one of these from Hermann. Front bumper stays, VIRGIN, and NO hassle from cops. ;-)

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/...50.html?highlight=front+license+plate+bracket

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
I've been running without a front plate forever. I just keep the otherone in the car and cook up the front brackets for that bumper are on back order excuse.

Maybe I should just swap the green plate from my saturn over to the Cobra. the green plates only require one.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
I haven't had a problem in the 3 1/2 years I have had the car either being pulled over or inspection.
I also have a green plate on my Bronco. Someday I'll swap.

einzatgroupen

03 cobra
Established Member
NHRACobra said:
If you get caught in Mass without a front plate, it's a moving violation, 2 points are added onto your insurance premium for 6 years. I got pulled over when I owned a 99 Firebird WS6 and also with my 01 Vette. The cop in 1999 gave me a break with the Firebird, but the asshole cop wrote me up on the vette. Had to hire a lawyer who knew the clerk of court, and got it squashed. I purchased one of these from Hermann. Front bumper stays, VIRGIN, and NO hassle from cops. ;-

Did they just change it to a moving violation? I never had one on my SS camaro. Three years ago, I was stopped twice. Both times the officer gave me a $25 ticket. No points added on my insurance.

No Such Luck

GMR Performance
Established Member
NHRACobra said:
If you get caught in Mass without a front plate, it's a moving violation, 2 points are added onto your insurance premium for 6 years. I got pulled over when I owned a 99 Firebird WS6 and also with my 01 Vette. The cop in 1999 gave me a break with the Firebird, but the asshole cop wrote me up on the vette. Had to hire a lawyer who knew the clerk of court, and got it squashed. I purchased one of these from Hermann. Front bumper stays, VIRGIN, and NO hassle from cops. ;-)

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/...50.html?highlight=front+license+plate+bracket
WOW!!! it's like a 45 dollar ticket here. Had my plate off for about a year now, and knock on wood no problems, but if I do get caught, 45 bucks isn't that bad.

TTA89

Established Member
If your going to put on a front plate whats the difference if you drill into the bumper or not? I mean tape or holes you can't see them behind the ugly license plate anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread