Front License Plate?

Do you have a Front License Plate?

• Yes, it is req'd in my state and I obey every law.

Votes: 120 13.2%
  • Yes, I like to deface automotive art even though its not req'd in my state.

Votes: 9 1.0%
  • No, its not req'd in my state.

Votes: 165 18.2%
  • ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!... Although it is req'd in my state, I'll take the risk.

Votes: 615 67.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

skunkt-u

Established Member
tapout632 said:
How much will the ticket be if a cop tags you for not having a front license plate? Do you think if you tell him that you didn't know it was against the law he would let you go for the first offense? I currently have the plate on my front but it looks extremely ugly and I was planning on purchasing a new bumper to replace it.
for us in TEXAS if you get pulled over by a city cop its $95. and for the DALLAS SHERIFFS DEPT. its $105. I have gotten one each...

mustarrosa

Established Member
Well I live in the DAllas area and pulled over twice for no front tag so I got one now on my '03 Mustang and I figure that if I can avoid the second look and when I get pulled over for speeeding it will be one less thing to get me for. They are all looking for the money....

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
Voted for no plates, I had mine on when I bought it and had it on till I saw another Cobra without one. I knew then that the front plate had to go.

micksnip

Established Member
Bracket

2F2F said:
No bracket, no plate. If I get a fix-it-ticket, I'll counter with the fact that the front valence does not allow for plate brackets. If they make me drill and mount, then so be it.
No, dude, don't drill!!!!!!!!!!! HBH (horsepower by Herman here in MD has brackets that mount inside-to the bolts of the intercooler or something-I'll let him explain. We here in MD are required to have a ft plate, but I have an 04 and no holes or plate. I keep the plate inside, as there may be some validity to the "displayed in front" being interpretable as having it on a towel on yer ft dash. Show me your hands! Put that Makita drill/driver down! Oh, yes, be respectful to the officer-they have a difficult enough job-I teach em a 40 hr course on dealing with the mentally-ill-they're first and only responders for a lot of things other than bad guys and street machines w/o ft license plates. Micksnip

Robyn

Established Member
And help out the cops using laser, I don't think so.

I got the vert in NV and it didn't have the holes drilled for the plate and I just couldn't bring myself to put it on -- it looks so much better without it.

micksnip

Established Member
radar

Robyn said:
And help out the cops using laser, I don't think so.

I got the vert in NV and it didn't have the holes drilled for the plate and I just couldn't bring myself to put it on -- it looks so much better without it.
RIGHT-the radar (well, there are a number of types of radar, so it depends what kinds he's using) needs something metallic to bounce the ray from in order to get a reading, and the plate is the natural bouncer, so to speak. I don't think our horse or cobra emblem has enough surface area to give a conclusive reading. Possible "compliance" with the law is what I was referring to when I mentioned the tag on a towel on the dash as a way to "comply", that is, just walk one centimeter toward observing the law-if the aabsence of required plate is the sole issue. Notice I have no ft plate mounted on the nice smooth bumper-no holes either. That's full-blown non-compliance. I suggested the plate on dash as a middle of the road step that MAY get you no fine or another chance. Finally, the HBH plate holder that doesn't force you to drill the beautiful bumper for permanent mounting is my last step, if nothing else works. Somehow our thread traveled from plate-yes or no, to why or why not, to alternatives to drilling, to radar. Which is really what should happen-all the sides of multifaceted issues are explored. However, digressing into a radar facet of the discussion implies that we are now including exceeding the speed limit as a reason for no tag. So now, rather than the plate issue being an "end" in and of itself, in order to preserve esthetics, we've moved to the tag absence as a "means" issue, in order to prevent a radar-detected violation of the speed limit. I do see both sides of it-I have no ft tag and I do exceed the speed limit a bit. Micksnip

Cottonmouth

Established Member
Buckeye Plates

GETTEUP said:
i heard ohio is doing away with the front plate requirement as of the 1st of the year, can anyone verify?
The measure has passed the State House and is going to the State Senate. There is one of the leading reps pursuing this as it will save the state 2.5 million by only having one plate. The State Patrol was the key in defeating this the last time it was brought up citing the need to visually ID a vehicle from front and rear. However, with our surrounding states only using one plate and doing just fine for IDing vehicles plus the savings issue in these tough times, there appears to be a good chance of it getting passed!
:rockon:
BTW, I don't have a front plate on my Cobra.

Last edited:

lafave

Cop didn't see it....
Established Member
If I get pulled over, I plan on telling the cop that the car came that way and DMV verified it by sending me only one plate. ;-)

lafave

Cop didn't see it....
Established Member
20<Snake>03 said:
Have any of you guys taken plates off and patched those holes where it looks good?

Look for some 1/4 inch nylon plugs at Home Depot or Lowes. Paint them and then glue them in the holes. It doesn't look bad from far away, but when you get close, it doesn't look great either.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
20<Snake>03 said:
Have any of you guys taken plates off and patched those holes where it looks good?

PM me your address, I'll send you enough to do the job.

-edit- remove the rivets and leave a 1/4" hole, a dab of clear silicone caulk behind the plugs will make them permanent. They're black.

Last edited:

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
Is there a list anywhere of all 50 states and whether they require a front license plate?
If not, can we start a list?
I know the following states don't require a front license plate.
AL, AR, AZ, FL, GA, IN, KS, KY, LA, MI, MS, NC, OK, PA, SC, TN

Any others I missed?

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Sonic Blue 2003 said:
Is there a list anywhere of all 50 states and whether they require a front license plate?
If not, can we start a list?
I know the following states don't require a front license plate.
AL, AR, AZ, FL, GA, IN, KS, KY, LA, MI, MS, NC, OK, PA, SC, TN

Any others I missed?

I know TX requires it as well.

cobracory

Established Member
In Canada...
Alberta, Quebec, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Saskatchewan & P.E.I. are the provinces that don't have front plates. The three territories also only have one plate. (taken from an autonet.ca article).
So by process of elmination...
B.C., Manitoba, Ontario & New Brunswick require one.

I am in Ontario and I don't have a front plate.
I have it on my sunvisor (with a couple of elastics) and usually put it down when I am driving. I never had a problem until last September when I got pulled over - specifically for no front plate.

The Officer let me off with a warning cuz of my squeaky clean record. :)
I still have not put the plate on, and don't plan to, but I did get the bracket from the dealership.

Last edited:

99cobra66

Established Member
I got pulled over by a cop on a bicycle a few weeks ago :cuss:

he gave me a ticket for tinted windows (which are SOOO light) and no front plate.

The ticket says $10 each with correction, or something linke $230 if I dont. :cuss:

A BICYCLE COP (not a motorcycle!!!!!!)

:cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread