Front License Plate?

Do you have a Front License Plate?

• Yes, it is req'd in my state and I obey every law.

Votes: 120 13.2%
  • Yes, I like to deface automotive art even though its not req'd in my state.

Votes: 9 1.0%
  • No, its not req'd in my state.

Votes: 165 18.2%
  • ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!... Although it is req'd in my state, I'll take the risk.

Votes: 615 67.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

coleman

Established Member
i'll take the risk. at least until i get my first citation specifically for it. then i may reconsider and finally finish my VintagePorscheG's removable front-license plate MOD :-D

Last edited:

donaisenbrey

Established Member
If it's required and you do not have it.........it's just another excuse for John law to pull you over...........Don

ssssnake

Established Member
You're right don. We have been pulled over just for that. I think the Trooper just wanted to look at the car. He gave us a warning, but we haven't put it on just yet. Don't know that we will. Unless we do get a ticket and I'll probably go with the mod coleman's talking about.

coleman

Established Member
YMMV, but not all areas actively enforce front license plates...
we had a little get together of fellow '03 cobra owners and ALL six of us did NOT have our front license plates.

but if you get an officer that's had a bad day -- it's just the excuse he/she may be looking for

i have been pulled over for no front license plate before but that was near austin and some 15 years ago...

Poison_S

Established Member
I hear what everyone is saying, but I have had five cars over the past seven years without front plates and had NO trouble/tickets for it. I have even been pulled over multiple times and it was never mentioned.

I think it really depends on how you handle yourself and what kind of attention you draw to your car.

For example, if you have your windows tinted beyond the legal limit, driving like a mad man around town and/or not being polite to the officer once pulled over. In other words, pushing every limit to see how far you can go.

Oh it depends on the local law enforement too. I have noticed that some of the smaller townships and smaller PDs that emphasize the front plate more than others will pull you over for just that reason.

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
When I lived in Texas for 11 years I didn't use a front plate... I don't think it was required.

When I moved to Minnesota and still had the TX plate (on rear only) I got one parking ticket from a meter maid because I didn't have a plate on the front... I never paid the ticket and that was 5 years ago. And when I did get MN plates I only put it on the rear.

If it were required where I live now in AZ (it isn't) I still wouldn't do it. I'd just pay the tickets (maybe) if I get written up. It's worth it not to have an ugly plate on the front.

Last edited:

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
No bracket, no plate. If I get a fix-it-ticket, I'll counter with the fact that the front valence does not allow for plate brackets. If they make me drill and mount, then so be it.

Friendchicken

Originally posted by ox03
No bracket, no plate. If I get a fix-it-ticket, I'll counter with the fact that the front valence does not allow for plate brackets. If they make me drill and mount, then so be it.

You are almost right on target. You will have to check with the DMV for their front plate rules/restrictions in the HTA. Do not ask a copper cause most of them "think" they know every little rule, but alot of traffic rules are ambiguous and can be argued either way.

Such is the law with regards to my area. Our HTA (Highway Traffic Act) states that a valid liscence plate must be visible from the front of the car and be registered to that car.

That means you need a valid plate on your front bumper right? Wrong. You can have a plate above your front windscreen for all it matters to the HTA. Couple that with where the DMV specifies where you affix a temp permit and a judge will dismiss any ticket a copper gives you.

Just because a copper gives you a ticket, doesn't mean it is valid. You miss your court date, then it's valid.

If the copper is cool and you weren't doing anything wrong or being a punk, then they will understand that it is a "Specialty Vehicle" and there is no factory liscence bracket to secure a plate to and that you carry the plate in the front window to abide by the rules of the road (This has worked for me once already).

I thank SVT designers for making a smooth front bumper for us.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
DON'T DO IT

Originally posted by ssssnake
You're right don. We have been pulled over just for that. I think the Trooper just wanted to look at the car. He gave us a warning, but we haven't put it on just yet. Don't know that we will. Unless we do get a ticket and I'll probably go with the mod coleman's talking about.

Don't put the plate on! Texas state law says it needs to be viewable from the front. It is silent on the matter of HOW it is mounted. Here in Austin, I am a member of the Spokes Autocross Club and the members have done extensive research and have extensive experience with this. What most of us do to get around it is put in somewhere in the windshield so it can be seen from the front of the car. I have mine mounted to the back of the passenger seat visor ... I used velcro strips that wrap around the end of the plate and the visor so it is held on without the sticky mess :thumbsup: then when I drive I just put the visor down When I remember to do it LOL!

Some of the members carry a copy of the law in the car with them just in case the trooper that stops them is unaware of what the law actually states. There is case law to back it up ... they get tossed if you use the law when/if you get a ticket. email me if you got more questons .. but for gosh sake don't phuc up the phront of your Cobra with a phucin license plate.

Cheers, RDJ
Austin, Tx

dvarapala

SVT God... NOT!
Established Member
One of the many great things about living in Arizona: NO FRONT LICENSE PLATE REQUIRED! WOOHOO!! :)

Another one is the "drive 'til you're 65" deal they have - once you get a driver's licence, you don't need to renew it until you turn 65!

Jevans74

Established Member
Voted for no license plate even though it's required here in Texas and I'll be damned if I didn't get pulled over by a DPS Trooper for not having a front plate on the way home from work. Gave me a warning ticket, complimented my car and sent me on my way. Whoever started this thread I blame you. You completely screwed up my karma by luring me here. Any ideas on alternatives? Seems a plate on a visor would look kind of goofy. This really sucks. My 99 Cobra vert didn't have one, my 01 Lightning didn't have one and now this one gets nailed after just 2 months.

coleman

Established Member
does it have to be the official plates or just the license plate #s ... like an adhesive on the passenger's front window?

or a small sticky on the opposite side of the rear-view mirror?

Poison_S

Established Member
I know someone who found a license plate bracket that had the fastener holes mounting on the underside of the bumper. Then he used velcro tape to hold it against the front of the bumper.

The setup made for easy removal that ultimately did not show signs of drilling when taken off. He did it temporarily when he was stopped by a small township PO. He later removed it and it looks great again.

If you are really serious about it, I could look into it further for you.

Sorry bout your karma man :dw:

Friendchicken

Originally posted by Jevans74
Voted for no license plate even though it's required here in Texas and I'll be damned if I didn't get pulled over by a DPS Trooper for not having a front plate on the way home from work. Gave me a warning ticket, complimented my car and sent me on my way. Whoever started this thread I blame you. You completely screwed up my karma by luring me here. Any ideas on alternatives? Seems a plate on a visor would look kind of goofy. This really sucks. My 99 Cobra vert didn't have one, my 01 Lightning didn't have one and now this one gets nailed after just 2 months.

Keep the front plate under your seat or behind the pass seat pocket. Smell a cop..., put it in the front windsheild on the dash.

03OneEyedSnake

Established Member
I'm glad to live in Michigan, we don't have that dumb law:loser:
I've seen some outta state Mustangs with that plate on the front and I feel for them, because it takes away from the look of the front:cryying:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
What you have to have

Originally posted by coleman
does it have to be the official plates or just the license plate #s ... like an adhesive on the passenger's front window?

or a small sticky on the opposite side of the rear-view mirror?

You have to have the original PLATE. While I would agree that the plate on the back of the visor does not look the best. It is functional, I don't have to get out of the car to put it on, I don't have to fish around for it while the cop that is tailing, stopping, watching me watches and can give me a ticket anyway because when he stopped me it wasn't displayed. a casual flip of the visor and he thinks he just missed seeing it in the window.

cheers, RDJ
95Cobra

03SonicSnake

Member of 500/500 Club
Established Member
RDJ is there some document on the internet on Texas Law about the front license plate that I can download somewhere to have with me in case I need it or where can I get some proof of it only having to be on the "front" of the car?

chris03Cobra

Established Member
I just left the dealer plates in the back so that it looks like a new car. theres no way i want to mess up that front bumper. Had no problems and got the car in august

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread