Front License Plate?

Do you have a Front License Plate?

• Yes, it is req'd in my state and I obey every law.

Votes: 120 13.2%
  • Yes, I like to deface automotive art even though its not req'd in my state.

Votes: 9 1.0%
  • No, its not req'd in my state.

Votes: 165 18.2%
  • ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!... Although it is req'd in my state, I'll take the risk.

Votes: 615 67.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm using a stealth license plate so I'm safe. It's there. You just can't see it. :)

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
I said I'd never do it until that fateful day. Unfortunately the local Dyno is down the street from the Lancaster PD. While parked out front, I got a friendly reminder to put the plate on. No ticket mind you he took my promice to comply as enough. I'm kind of getting used to it now. NOT!

Goldy

Established Member
Petzuk,

Thanks for the info on the front plate braket (www.kustomkruzr.com). It appears that this braket was made for the PT Cruiser. Were there any issues installing it on your car? Also, what are your thoughts on the quality of the bracket?

Thx.

Howard

Xplicit

Su Corazón
Established Member
I never did drill..i actually took it off and have been driving around for about 1 month now. I've passed a bunch of cops over that period with no prob..i even have 20% tint, still no prob. I guess as long as u drive responsibly they won't bother you? :shrug:

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
Originally posted by Goldy
Petzuk,

Thanks for the info on the front plate braket (www.kustomkruzr.com). It appears that this braket was made for the PT Cruiser. Were there any issues installing it on your car? Also, what are your thoughts on the quality of the bracket?

Thx.

Howard

Howard,

Very easy to install right through the plastic bumper (2 holes). All the hardware is provided. The quality is very good too.

This setup is a lot neater than the factory holder, and it's also easy to remove on a whim.

Peter
:beer:

Cavallo

Established Member
My brother has not put his on yet.

We put velcro on the plate and bracket.

For the times at the Court House!! LOL

NMRAcer

Aviator & Terminator
Established Member
even if it was required i woildn't comply. Damn a front licence plate. I've goten tickets for it before when i lived in Texas when driving my 88 GT. It's not a moving violation so no worries about insurance. I did wonder all the time about all those Corvetts without front license plates NOT getting pulled over around me. Even when I go back to TX I wont put one on my Cobra. Just don't seem right.

mds370

Established Member
I bought my 96 Cobra new. It took 18 months before I got pulled over(tint,no front plate and headlight covers).
I was prepared for the day. I had the bodyshop of the dealership I worked,paint my factory plate bracket the color of the car. I't didn't stand out as much and kept me from getting pulled over.

just a thought.

Last edited:

JWC

Established Member
I can't pick any of your options. Yes, I have a front plate because it is the law and around here they would pull and write you daily. But I don't always obey every law. At least with this car, It won't let me.

03_Sonic Blur

Wanna Talk? PM Me
Established Member
No,

I work at a company that repairs high tech, and sometimes we need to make parts. The mechanical engineer sits in the office next to mine. We came up with a couple of pieces of plastic and some small aluminum brackets. Check the link http://sonicblur.net/images/dsc00620.jpg

We did this over a lunch hour. If we make units for sale, we'll polish all the edges and make it pretty.

I have run the car at 140+ mph with no ill effect. The little rubber feet protect the paint, and though it flexes, I have seen no cracks. I have been driving it daily since I installed it late August of 2002. I designed it with airflow to the intercooler heat exchanger in mind.

If I get enough interest, I'll build some. What's a fair price for not having to drill holes in your car?

John

Last edited:

BlownCobra

Established Member
IN NY they give you an equipment falure ticket. ANyway they give you the chance to repair what's wrong, within a certain amount of time, before the tickets' point go on your lisence. I say stick the front plate on with scotch tape temporally, take a picture, mail it in....

DayTrade03Cobra

Established Member
Just got pulled over today in SoCal by motorcycle cop with laser. Have the speeding ticket for 14 over and he didn't care about no license plate in front. All he cared about was adding to his pension fund and getting back to the speed trap. I'm off to traffic school.

silvercoffin

Established Member
no plate!

I have been surprised that I have not been pulled over. I have never mounted the front plate and dont plan on ever drilling holes. I figured I would wait and see if I got a ticket since its no points ticket. I'm a teacher so when Im off in the summer I drive the car for two months but the rest of the year I just take it out occasionally and for an occasional trip to etown.

The same police in town saw me all the time. One followed me home once...It was funny I got out of my car to take a picture of it and through the camera I see the cop car slowy drive by! BUt they never say anything. IM hoping that if I keep behaving myself in town they will let it slide.

4YRIONY

Established Member
Wouldn't it be safer to mount the front plate on the bumper? If somebody backs into your front plate while parking with this set-up, it would bend the bracket to the intercooler. Any thoughts on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread