Front end "tink" or "pop"

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
Recently I've been hearing a tink or pop when backing or turning at low speeds. I've searched the database but can't find anything and I remember this being discussed before. Any Help is appreciated. Thanks

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Mine 'tinks' or 'pops' or 'groans' when I turn to the right. It's been doing this since I bought the car in '06. Hasn't gotten better or worse even after spending several days on various road courses. The sound is the same whether standing still or moving at any speed. I just received some MM aluminum rack bushings that will be going in likely tomorrow morning. Maybe these will fix it up.

Last edited:

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
Hate to tell you this but I too put the aluminum steering rack bushings in and I still have it. Hope you have better luck .

TermiN8er

Corn Fed Beast
Established Member
I had a popping noise in my front end at slow speeds on the uneaven pavement and after hours on this forum and checking all the suspension I simply rocked the car one day back and forth in the garage and was able to re-create the noise.... it was my Stock Caster camber plates at the top of my strut towers. They had worn out and were rattling an popping. I replaced them with MM CC plates and some new shocks and all is well. Hope this helps! Good luck

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
There is a high probability that those those aluminum rack bushing just need to be re-torqued.
Better yet would be to put a little grease on them and then re-torque them.

Mine did that too and I was quite surprised when the typical rack creak has come back, but I was able to make it go away with that method.

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
Great info. I'll get them greased and retorqued. I'll also rock the car to see if the caster plates are causing it. I'm thinking about the MM caster /camber plates as well.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Well, I got my MM Al rack bushings in this morning and for the first time in 5 years it is quiet while turning! I took Jimmy's advice and applied a light coat of grease on the rack bore prior to slipping in the bushings. Personally I would suggest a retorque of everything after ~100 miles or so. I think that spacer may move around and seat better after some vibration, and the torque on those bolts will fade.

Overall Ford's design of the rack mounting method is crap and very barnyard IMO. Or maybe the sheetmetal K-member is crap. Or maybe both. That crazy spacer/bushing thing is just a bad idea. It's easy to see why this rack creaks, pops, tinks, and groans so much and on so many cars.

However MM's rack bushings are an elegant solution to the variations of the stock K-member. Well done MM.

Last edited:

Shanesstang

Established Member
Thanks for posting this topic. I can't wait to get home from work and fix that damn popping sound I have had for 2 years!

hyelife2

Established Member
I tried re-torquing and greasing the bushings idea, it helped for a few miles but the poping came back.
I spoke with MM and they said the poping could be from either bad inner
tie rods of from bad ball joints.
Either way I am going to check both out.

toxic03cobra

Established Member
Ok i basically started having the same thing i finally got under my car a few week's ago and figured out what mine is. The hydro-Bushing on the driver side front control arm is shot basically. I just got the replacement ones from MM sitting in my garage waiting to go in.

Users who are viewing this thread