From Timex to Rolex - Ford gave me good head

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
You're probably all familiar with the "tick". If not do a search and you will become enlightened. For those that already are aware of the problem, have the problem, and are wondering if the replacement head TSB will solve the problem, I'll give you my impressions here.

I had the "tick" from day one. I first heard it next to a concrete wall in a drive through. I took it in to the dealer when the first TSB (also known as the retorque cam ladders TSB) was issued. The service was performed, but the ticking persisted. At that time Ford was advising the service department to say this was normal for this motor.

The new TSB was issued May 23, 2003. COBRAJIM9999 posted it here and I also saw in here at Modularfords.com:

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2870

I put my car in the service department of Leif Johnson Ford last Monday June 9, 2003.

I picked up my car today. Here it is:

1. There is no tick now. None at all. Smooth baby smooth.
2. The power feels the same. I have not run it to redline just in case I need the valves to seat or anything like that, but boost was seen and everything feels fine.
3. Everything upon quick visual inspection appears to be tight and right. I will follow up this weekend with a thorough check as always.
4. I took it in with 13,372.3 miles and it was returned with approximately 13,380 miles. Completely acceptable mileage for the road testing of such a process in my opinion.

Conclusions:

First, I'd like to thank Lance Myhre and Michael "Thor" Preece, the service advisor and service tech (the only tech that touches my car when it's in) for their service and dedication to making my Cobra as perfect as it should be. Leif Johnson Ford in Austin, TX.

I have seen the service department more than I would like to, but these guys always try hard to resolve any issue I bring in. Ultimately, it was their dedication to service and attitudes when dealing with me that made me decide to allow this procedure to happen to my Cobra. Outstanding work guys. Thanks to both of you.

Other notes:

Be prepared to detail your engine when you get it back. A shop can be a messy place and you are bound to have some grease / grime on it from moving it around out of the car. I have no doubt they would have done it for me, but I prefer to do my own detailing.

Overall I'm extremely pleased to have this done. I am relieved that the problem is solved as it has bothered me from day 1.

I'll post a follow up in about a month to keep everyone aprised of ongoing condition, and I'll let you guys know if anything changes.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
thats awsome news sly. I am really glad everything went well. I think I will give this a try. Thanks for the update, it was a big help.

Snake Blood

Established Member
Time for that little pulley, chip and intake since she's all better now! You don't have any excuses now. Feel the Power of the dark side! ..and 14 psi of boost...!

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Do you guys have the TSB #? I didnt see it in the modularfords posting..

SVT4J

This isn't the autobahn?
Established Member
Sly,

Good info. I bought my car from Leif Johnson as well. I have the tick and have been patiently awaiting your response to this. Hope the car continues to run like a "Rolex" ;-) See ya on the road...

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by NickSVT03
So can we take it to any svt dealership and request this to be done?

Yes

The TSB describes a diagnosis procedure that they will perform first and then determine if the head should be swapped.

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
For all you austin 03 folks if you have the concern please call Lance at 407-3590.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This fix is for engines built prior to 11/1/02 that have the tick, right? Has anyone had the tick with an engine built AFTER 11/1/02?

thedutt

Established Member
From my limited understanding, the work to be performed is quite hardcore. Is for extending the warranty for the cars which have this problem similar to the issue that BMW had with thier m3s?

Goldy

Established Member
Sly,

Were both of your head replaced, or just the left (driver's side) one? My car is currently in for the head replacement (driver's side only) under the TSB. I went to the dealership yesterday... the engine was out of the car along with a bazillion other parts (this did not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling). With everying out and appart, now would definitly be the time to replace the right head as well is there is any doubt. I do however trust the dealership doing the work, and am confident all will be well with the car when I get it back.

Looking back, I wished I'd waited to buy my '03; better deals now and no more tick! Live and learn.

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
It says for cars built before 11/01/02. Doesn't this coincide with the stoppage at the Ford assembly plants around that same time of the month.

Users who are viewing this thread