Friggin' Pulleys!!!

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
I've battled belt chirp since installing a Metco Lower Pulley kit a couple of years ago. It's come and gone with nothing in particular making it stop. A few hundred miles ago, it shredded a belt. I put a new one on and it shredded within a 100 miles. I think I've been through 3 or 4 in the past 500 miles. Last week I decided enough was enough and started taking things apart. I took the lower kit off, cleaned everything and reinstalled it per Metco's instructions. I retorqued all idlers and replaced the bearing in the one closest to the crank pulley. I took off my Thump RRR tensioner, inspected it and reinstalled it. I even got a Gates Laser Pulley Alignment tool and checked alignment as well as the runout of the supercharger, tensioner, and alternator pulleys. Everything looks aligned and spins true. I fired the car up and the belt is still walking forward on the crank pulley while under load! Ughhhh!!! What the hell is going on? I've got a 100mm Metco idler next to the crank pulley and there is barely enough room to get the belt through there...is it too close? Should I switch to a 90mm pulley? I'm running a Gates Green Stripe 78.5" belt...according to the Billetflow website, this is the correct length for my pulley setup...2.7" upper, 3 x 100mm idlers, 1 x 90mm idler, 3.2" alternator pulley, and a 4 pound lower. Should I switch to a longer belt? What else can I try?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Move the idler into the second hole further away from the crank pulley. I know that sounds counter intuitive but it fixes it. I could shred a new belt in less than 5 minutes just ripping some WOT pulls. Moved the idler to the second further away hole and installed a thump tensioner and never shredded another belt.

TRBO VNM

The alternator could be off a little as well. When running larger crank pulleys it compounds the issue that didn't appear to be an issue with the stock lower. I went back and forth with Metco about this.

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
I decided to drive the car to work this morning and was rewarded with the melodious sound of chirping coming from what seemed like every pulley. I drove it this past weekend and not one peep! I don't get it!

I'll try moving the idler up to the second hole as was mentioned, but if that doesn't work, I think I'm going back to the stock lower pulley assembly.

Users who are viewing this thread