Freedom From Religion sues US Treasury for stamping "In God We Trust" on currency.

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
As it appears on our currency, God refers to Yahweh. There are probably well over a billion people on this planet that would take offense over your claiming that Allah is Yahweh. A greater portion of them would verbally confront you. A good portion of them would physically assault you. And another portion would leave you dead.

e31.jpg

And an even fewer portion that know who God in our currency refers to. God is God is God. It's another word for God.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
Liberalism is destroying this country... Half of them don't have a braincell working and only care about themselves and what they can get for free. That's all this is, idiots looking for free money. They could care less either about what's printed on the money, otherwise they'd just be suing for that change...

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
charba951 said:
And an even fewer portion that know who God in our currency refers to.

I put this honest request out to Christian members:

If you feel that the god of Christianity is *not* specifically referenced on our currency, please speak up and explain, if you will.

charba951 said:
God is God is God. It's another word for God.

The billion people I referenced disagree and would stay their course of retaliation as described. I personally don't care what god is referenced on our currency. They're all equally unlikely to be real.

vortecd

Established Member
Very interesting read:

Religion in Colonial America

This is the last paragraph:

"With those ideas as background, Adams, Madison, Jefferson and others sought to ensure the American government would never be allowed to use religion as a device to ensure political control. Thus the separation of church and state, embedded in the Bill of Rights, was seen as yet another safeguard against tyranny."

vortecd

Established Member
Maybe it's just me, but I just don't care to go around raising a stink about everything I don't agree with. Atheists and Christians alike (and everyone in between) need to just STFU and move about their business without infringing on the other(s).

I think that about sums it up. There was a South Park episode where they were going to put on a Christmas play. By the time they took out every that offended someone, there was nothing left

I also don't understand why 1 person has more rights then 500 people if the 1 person is offended by something so they can't do it. What has happened to our once great country?

I put this honest request out to Christian members:

If you feel that the god of Christianity is *not* specifically referenced on our currency, please speak up and explain, if you will.

The problem with the "In God We trust" phrase is which God?

The God of Our Lord Jesus Christ?

Or is it a just a general phrase to attempt to appease certain people?

I mean we talk about the "In God we trust" phrase, yet we overlook all the pagan and esoteric symbols on the money.

Is the "In God we trust" phrase really that big of a deal? I'm not sure it really is. Especially when we have so many Christians embarrassed and even reluctant to talk about Jesus or mention Him in public because they are so concerned about being labeled as "one of those guys."

blacksheep-1

Established Member
It doesn't affect me because I don't care what is printed on my money. But I want the government to remain neutral in matters of religion. Religious verbiage printed on our currency is in violation of that policy whether it's trivial or petty.

I am for removing the verbiage, not because I am offended, but because I want the government to stick to its policies, especially those that relate to the Constitutional separation of church and state as championed by Thomas Jefferson and James Madison.

Srsly the part about how are rights are given to us by our creator? That Madison and Jefferson?
Because if they are not given to us by our creator then I guess they were given to us by..the government?..the president?...whoever it is I guess they can take them away whenever they want.
I'll take my unalienable rights from the Creator, thanks for playing.

SS EATR

Established Member

I mean we talk about the "In God we trust" phrase, yet we overlook all the pagan and esoteric symbols on the money.

Is the "In God we trust" phrase really that big of a deal? I'm not sure it really is. Especially when we have so many Christians embarrassed and even reluctant to talk about Jesus or mention Him in public because they are so concerned about being labeled as "one of those guys."

Exactly, you hit the nail on the head with that. People just absolutely have to have something to complain about these days.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
blacksheep-1 said:
Srsly the part about how are rights are given to us by our creator? That Madison and Jefferson?
Because if they are not given to us by our creator then I guess they were given to us by..the government?..the president?...whoever it is I guess they can take them away whenever they want.
I'll take my unalienable rights from the Creator, thanks for playing.

The history of the world I live in shows that Thomas Jefferson and James Madison both fought to keep the government neutral in matters of religion. Perhaps you can present a legit source of information to the contrary?

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
You know what I love? Mothers of America trying to get us at 3/1 to take down the approximately 12' cross that was CARRIED!! up by Marines to Horno hill in Camp Pendleton as a memorial for our fallen Marines and Corpsman because they said they could see it from I5 and that it was in violation of church and state.

I just buried a friend and we set up a memorial for him up there among all the others, and somehow this is offensive? If any of you walked up on this memorial you would start crying regardless of what symbol marks its presence, so I have only two words for any group or person that attempts to attack these symbols... **** off!

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
VictorySong said:
Can you explain how having In God We Trust on our currency is a violation of the 1st amendment?

The first amendment concerns the government remaining neutral in matters of religion such that the believer and nonbeliever are equal before the law (the history of Jefferson and Madison makes this clear). Printing religious verbiage on our currency is bringing religion into the political sphere where it does not belong.

How about a case in point?

The ruling by Federal Judge John E. Jones III on the Kitzmiller v. Dover case in 2005 was a landmark execution of the constitutional separation of church and state. He ruled that Intelligent Design was religious in nature and therefore could not be taught in the science classrooms, as doing so would be unconstitutional.

VictorySong

Established Member
The first amendment concerns the government remaining neutral in matters of religion such that the believer and nonbeliever are equal before the law (the history of Jefferson and Madison makes this clear). Printing religious verbiage on our currency is bringing religion into the political sphere where it does not belong.

How about a case in point?

The ruling by Federal Judge John E. Jones III on the Kitzmiller v. Dover case in 2005 was a landmark execution of the constitutional separation of church and state. He ruled that Intelligent Design was religious in nature and therefore could not be taught in the science classrooms, as doing so would be unconstitutional.

"Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Over 20 minutes and you give me some unrelated bullshit?

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
svtfocus2cobra said:
You know what I love? Mothers of America trying to get us at 3/1 to take down the approximately 12' cross that was CARRIED!! up by Marines to Horno hill in Camp Pendleton as a memorial for our fallen Marines and Corpsman because they said they could see it from I5 and that it was in violation of church and state.

I don't see how the cross is a violation of church and state.

Either way, I wouldn't want to see that cross come down because its meaning is not just religious. It's a memorial for the fallen troops but it's also a tribute considering that a portion of them (if not most) took to the cross for inspiration in the midst of a war that robbed them of life. It also took a lot of elbow grease to put it there.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
VictorySong said:
"Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Over 20 minutes and you give me some unrelated bullshit?

I appreciate you providing the text of the first amendment. If you think my post is bullshit, point out where, that you might demonstrate it. By the way, I do not wait for you to post. I'll take as much time to respond as I please.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life

But I could care less if they put, "In gawd most of us trust." either. It would be more honest real, but religion has an issue with reality.
Use some common sense on this one:

In God we trust - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 1956, the nation was at a particularly tense time in the Cold War. As a result, the 84th Congress passed a joint resolution to replace the existing motto with "In God we trust". The change was partly motivated by a desire to differentiate between communism, which promotes atheism, and Western capitalistic democracies, which were at least nominally Christian. The law was signed by President Eisenhower on July 30, 1956, and the motto was progressively added to paper money over a period from 1957 to 1966. (Public Law 84-851) The United States Code at 36 U.S.C. § 302, now states: "'In God we trust' is the national motto.

Last edited by a moderator:

VictorySong

Established Member
I appreciate you providing the text of the first amendment. If you think my post is bullshit, point out where, that you might demonstrate it. By the way, I do not wait for you to post. I'll take as much time to respond as I please.

I did point out what I thought was bullshit, that's why I quoted your entire post. You can take as much time as you want. You obviously have to pull random ass quotes about irrelevant shit instead of reading a ****ing paragraph and seeing that what your opinion on what the first amendment protects isn't included in the actual text.

I love the TJ parroting though, using him as a champion for your freedom from religion bullshit is hilarious.

Last edited:

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
VictorySong, the history I presented from Eddie Tabash about the framers of the Constitution supports my argument that the first amendment is there to ensure that the government remains neutral in religious affairs. Again, the history of Thomas Jefferson and James Madison demonstrates this.

Calling this bullshit does nothing to challenge it.

I then presented a case in point where a federal judge APPLIED the constitutional separation of church and state you are denying the existence of.

Calling this bullshit does nothing to challenge it.

BRNG ITT

Established Member
Rather than quote one professor out of tens of thousands with varying opinions, I will quote someone else. And with this, again, I say unto you that the out-of-context term "separation of church and state" is intended to keep the government out of religion, not religion out of the government.

"I shall need, too, the favor of that Being in whose hands we are, who led our fathers, as Israel of old, from their native land and planted them in a country flowing with all the necessaries and comforts of life; who has covered our infancy with His providence and our riper years with His wisdom and power, and to whose goodness I ask you to join in supplications with me that He will so enlighten the minds of your servants, guide their councils, and prosper their measures that whatsoever they do shall result in your good, and shall secure to you the peace, friendship, and approbation of all nations."

Thomas Jefferson
2nd Inaugural address
Monday, March 4, 1805

Class dismissed...

Users who are viewing this thread