Foxbody Coupe Build

32icon321

Established Member
Hello SVT,

I have decided to start a build thread of my 1988 SSP Coupe. I have been a member on this forum since I was a teenager mostly reading or buying and selling a few things here and there. The time has come to share a little bit of my build as I have enjoyed checking out so many others on this site. This first post is a little wordy but the following posts will be more build oriented.
IMG_0703.JPG
IMG_1482 (1).PNG

History/Back Story:

I bought this car in 2013 off craigslist after being out of the mustang world for several years. I grew up around mustangs my whole life, my dad had a 428 cobra jet, a drag car, and a terminator at one point and he bought me a 04 Gt as my first car which I later totaled after a few years. I moved out at 18 and got away from mustangs doing assembly at a nearby factory and later fabrication for a couple years.

I decided to go back to school for engineering back in 2013 and wanted back in the mustang game, something simple. That was fast, easy to work on, etc, etc. Everything that is a foxbody. So I found the Coupe somewhat local and it was the right color with the right rims and had a “Fresh 306”. Looking back now I wouldn’t have bought the car because of all the mickey mouse stuff to it that I have had to undo over the years. But if I hadn’t I wouldn’t have learned as much as I have. Either way the car was a perfect platform. It had less than 90k original miles with zero rust.

I drove it for about a year then purchased a supercharger for it off craigslist. Ready to slap in on in a weekend. My father introduced me to a buddy of his who was a retired Ford mechanic for well longer than I have been alive. He owned a Dart Block Turbo Hatch at the time. He would later go on to be my “mentor” over the next 4 years building the car. I’m sure he would like to remain anonymous, so I will refer to him as Bill in this thread.

So I was ready to slap on the supercharger kit and started trying to fit it on and Bill walks in and the first thing he says was pull the motor. To which of course I objected because I know it all. That was the beginning of the learning curve which I am still riding graciously.

To fast forward, we finally got the motor installed and were going to take it to Blankenship for tuning and thought it would be a good idea to check the compression before making the trip. Motor had low compression on two cylinders.

Bill had an old 306 shortblock he pulled from where he went with a dart iron eagle he made me a deal on and I had to purchase some twisted wedge heads. Motor goes back in and we finally make it up to Blankenship.

We got the car tuned and it put down 400/400 at 6 lbs which is the goal that I had in mind when I went up there. I drove it like that for about 6 months. During this time Bill decided to swap all of his drivetrain out of his hatch into a 30k original mile 93 coupe. I sold my PITA daily driven Lincoln LS, purchased his hatch, and we swapped all the 93 coupe drivetrain into the hatch which is now my DD. I wasn’t very satisfied with the drivability of the coupe after the tune, nothing against Blankenship, but after riding in Bills coupe with the Haltech Standalone system and all the options and just everything about it is exactly where I wanted to head.

The car got parked October 2016, I purchased Bills AEM standalone that he ditched when he bought his new coupe and went with Haltech. My original intentions we to hook up the AEM over the winter and get her back on the road by the end of Decemberish

So to fast forward to today have a few semesters left to finish my EE degree. I have had less and less time to work on the car and started to loose interest this semester with my work load and only being able to maybe work on the car once a week for a few hours. This week is my spring break so I have really gotten back into the car and have made a tremendous amount of progress. So this thread is starting in the middle of this progress. Where I originally intended to hook up the AEM and be done, I have opened up and nearly finished multiple cans of worms.

Bill talked me into the GM coils. A lot of consideration went into where they would be mounted. Valvecovers was my original choice, but I like the OEM covers and don’t want to run a box-r or comparable intake for them to clear, because I wanted to run a stock hood. So we settled on the shock towers. Bill did all the wiring for these babies. I tried to watch and soak in as much as I could. He also suggest fire core wires, which one I will have to redo because it is a little to short. Excuse the intake, it is the last remaining junker on the car and will be getting replaced soon enough. SMH.

IMG_1465.JPG

IMG_1269.JPG

The cowl of the car is the only part of the body that is in rough shape. My plan was to remove the entire section and weld in a new one. That was the original plan for this winter before I decided to go stand alone. So instead I opted for a quicker temporary fix. I grinded as deep as a 1 ½ inches of bondo out of this thing. There were multiple layers. We bent and pried it up the best we could. I am going to satin black until I am ready to completely swap it with a new unit.

IMG_1466.JPG

I got a Aeromotive fuel system in the deal when I purchased bills old black hatch. I don’t remember why now but I decided to go ahead and put that on the car as well. Which meant new fuel rails, new lines, new tank, and pumps.

IMG_1268.JPG

The American Muscle Saleen wheels I so loved when I first bought the car ended up being one of the biggest POS on the car next to the intake which will also be replaced soon. I will never purchase cheap aftermarket wheels. The holes for the lugs are nearly impossible to get a socket in and the castings are garbage. The wheels run true on the inside but wobble on the outside if that makes sense as a result of cheap casting. It is the wildest thing. Needless to say I have been in the market for a set of 03/04 cobra wheels since this past summer. A nice set is fairly elusive. Well, I found some local last night on craigslist. The center caps will be replaced with OEM SVT, but I got a killer deal on all 4 for $400. Now this was somewhat unexpected and unlocked the next stage of modifications, brembo brakes, 94/95 spindles, etc etc.

IMG_1469.JPG
IMG_1463.JPG

I went to hook up the wideband gauge this week and found a mess. Previous owners sourced ignition switch power and something else from the fuse panel which I did not discover until after wiring it twice. Bill did not appreciate that. So I ended up rewiring the gauges a few times and hooking into the correct wires. I also deleted the huge tach. This is how I left it last night to go get the wheels.

IMG_1468.JPG

Finished for this stage anyways. I plan to run race pak in the near future as soon as I get out of school and can afford it.

IMG_1473.JPG

Last edited:

32icon321

Established Member
Thanks, I am trying to fix it now. They worked in the preview post. I think it is the sizing.

flattrack53

Established Member
I like your thread... I just want to see the pictures so I'm subscribing. It really sounds like a cool build and Bill sounds like a good guy!

32icon321

Established Member
Pics appear to be working as I view this thread from my laptop but aren't showing up on the mobile phone app. Not sure what thats about.

32icon321

Established Member
Finally figured out the pictures. Its been a long time. The last time I uploaded to a forum you could just copy and paste the links directly into the text. Anyways heres the rest I got done today....

I also wrapped up the new battery box. It was a complete mess before that involved some shaddy cables and plywood. Here is the nearly finished product. I will probably redo a few things on it.
IMG_1472.JPG

IMG_1481.JPG

We also fixed the blower today. The thread for the tensioner pulley were stripped out. A trip to Fastenal and I also got a bunch of matching bolts for the bracket as well. It was the last thing I needed to do to fire the car up and start the tuning process with the AEM. I hit a road block when I went to put the alternator in, the pulley I had 2 days ago for it has vanished. Literally fell off the face of the earth. So tomorrow I will be picking one up from ford and putting it on.
IMG_1474.JPG

IMG_1478.JPG

So tomorrow I will be going by ford to pick up the pulley for the alternator. It bolts in then the blower on top of it. Then some tuning will begin!

32icon321

Established Member
Here are a few snap shots of Bills car. Original paint 30k mile coupe. Haltech, 9in Rear, Dart Iron Eagle, etc.

IMG_1485.JPG

IMG_1484.JPG

crazycarlo

Established Member
Looks good man. Keep up the good work. I have a 90 coupe that's my running project. Gotta love the fox bodies.

32icon321

Established Member
I wanted a different drain set up for the catch can as it was a pain and made a mess. I went with a ball valve and brass fitting.
IMG_1487.JPG

IMG_1489.JPG

IMG_1490.JPG

I picked up the alternator pulley from Ford this morning and thankfully it fit fine. Got it bolted back in along with the blower without to much trouble. You can see all the work we did to the blower mounting bracket in these pictures. I hated the way Vortech designed the smog pump delete so we had our local machinist drill and tap the plate and installed an idler pulley. Also cut the large lower section off that was not being used to clear the alternator and additional custom lower bracket for the alternator. I also had to run a new ground from the engine to the frame. I will be making a trip to napa to pick up a bunch of t-bolt clamps here soon.

IMG_1491.JPG

IMG_1492.JPG

IMG_1495.JPG

We did manage to get the car started today. Initially we werent getting power to the fuel pumps and found out we tucked the power wire to the ecu back into the harness. After that she started right up. Luckily Bill had his old tunes saved and we were able to use those as a starting point. We had the car running a while back and did a little work on the cold start.
Heres a pic of us troubleshooting that wire. I might stop by tomorrow to clean it back up.
IMG_1496.JPG

It is supposed to rain here tomorrow so I probably wont do much. I need to get the insurance and registration back on the car so will make a trip to the DMV and get that sorted. I will try to post a start up video tonight once I get back home

32icon321

Established Member
I decided to not take a break on Friday, couldnt stand it. I went and picked up some paint and a few other things from the auto parts store. I was about to start spraying before my dad ran out and insisted we skimmed the cowl a little bit. Initially I wasnt happy about it because I was in a hurry but now I am really glad we took the time to do it. This is my first experience with body work. Dad did some back in the 70s with his father. So by no means are we professionals, but it looks a lot better than it did. It was a full days work but I am really glad to have this section of the project behind me and buttoned up. Started by putting her back on the ground and cleaning up the garage some. First time since October.
IMG_1499.JPG
IMG_1501.JPG
IMG_1503.JPG
IMG_1506.JPG
IMG_1507.JPG

IMG_1508.JPG

IMG_1512.JPG
IMG_1511.JPG

As shown in the pictures I got the fuel pressure gauge mounted. I also grounded the ecu and a few other things to the battery box in the rear. Double checked a few things like oil and coolant and we were ready to go for the first test spin.

32icon321

Established Member

So we started in the neighborhood and worked our way out of town. The difference is unbelievable. It drives like a completely different car and we really havent even started the tuning process. Right now we are working on cruising around town and highway. We only got in about an hour before the laptop died and we had to head back home. I need to order and set up power inside the car.

Before I do all that I am going to try to set up a new laptop which is what I have been working on today. The one that came with the AEM from Bill is pretty aged. We arent sure if my newer one will work or not. Spring break is over so I am back to working on the car about once a week. We are going to try to get a few more tuning sessions in before I start driving it.

IMG_1514.JPG

IMG_1515.JPG

blecoupe89

Sprayin for 10's
Established Member
Love the progress! Had an S trim on my previous car which got me into the 10's a long time ago. Is the car painted Deep Impact Blue?

32icon321

Established Member
Thanks. Not sure of the color. It actually has a few different shades of blue on it. I think what happened is where it was originally a police car it was blue and white, and someone tried to paint the white areas of the car to make it a solid blue. Deep impact is the color I'll do in the future once I get everything else on the car sorted.

No picture updates today. I did get the new laptop up and running.

To do list for next week includes:
At least one more tuning cruise
Button up interior
Fix a vicious exhaust leak
Change oil
New plugs
Check tranny fluid

I also ordered a bunch of the suspension parts.

Bilstiens front and rear
Brembos for the front
Nitto NT05r 275 for rear and BFG up front
Oem center caps

I will probably order north race cars rear brake kit this week.

I was about to order the cobra R brake booster and master cylinder but Bill said he is having some trouble with his booster and questions the quality of it. So I am considering giving maximum motorsports a call to discuss their manual conversion kit. We'll see.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

32icon321

Established Member
Have made some forward progress on the car since the last post. We have taken it out a handful of times to work on the tune. It feels sort of like the whack a mole game trying to get things sorted out but I am really enjoying the learning process.
We got the exhaust leaked fixed and replaced all the hardware with grade 5 stuff. Dont have any pictures of the finished product but you can see how bad it was leaking. The h-pipe was hitting the flange of the header, so it had to be trimmed.
We made the laptop bracket which is something I have been looking forward to since we first started talking about going stand alone. We also got the ECU mounted.
This is my first real attempt at welding. Doesnt look pretty but its solid.
I also got in a bunch of packages: Brembo front brake kit, North Racecars rear kit, Bilstiens front and rear, tires mounted, and a few other odds and ends. It will all be staying boxed up until I can get to it this summer.
IMG_1532.JPG

IMG_1539.JPG
IMG_1540.JPG
IMG_1541.JPG

IMG_1544.JPG

IMG_1542.JPG
IMG_1543.JPG
IMG_1545.JPG
IMG_1547.JPG
IMG_1548.JPG

32icon321

Established Member
Here are a few pictures of the finished product. It still needs to be notched for the USB and charger. It also needs a little more bracing where it bolts to the floor but overall I am really pleased with it.
I need to wire the car charger in as right now I am limited to the laptops battery which only lasts about 2 hours. All of these little things I will try to tackle a day next weekend.
You can also see where we got the ECU mounted. It needs more work to fit all the other wires in there and to get the interior panel back on and looking correct.
IMG_1549.JPG

IMG_1551.JPG
IMG_1550.JPG

32icon321

Established Member
I do not have any significant updates over the last week as there really hasn't been a lot to do. Coil #7 went out so that was replaced yesterday. I felt comfortable enough with where the car was to finally blow the dust off her. Over the next couple of weeks I will try to take the car out once or twice a week to work on the fuel map for basic drivability around town. Parts are still trickling in for the suspension and brake work.

The new tires were mounted a few weeks ago. I threw them on to see what they looked like. This is the first car I have driven with a set of drag radials, so the rears stayed on because racecar. I am not going to replace the front with the matching wheels until I redo the front suspension this summer and get a new alignment.

I am getting really impatient wanting to start the suspension work, 99% of the parts are here. However, the last round of exams are coming up the week after next and then finals follow. So its just not a good time.

IMG_1567.JPG
IMG_1571.JPG
IMG_1572.JPG
IMG_1573.JPG
IMG_1570.JPG

Took her home for the night. Been a long time since it stayed the night in my garage.

IMG_1575.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread