found out something about my car

1997SVTSNAKE

Established Member
I have all ways thought that my car had a 97 cobra motor. Today i had it at the shop and the guy tells me that it is an 01 cobra motor. It was stamped on the bottom of the block. It has the 97 upper intake i told him. He said that it is on there because the wiring harness would not fit on the 01 intake.

what do you guy's think. :shrug:

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Sounds like a 97 motor to me. If it was a 01 motor the intake wouldn't fit unless someone had swapped to B heads, therefore eliminating the advantage the 01 motor has. The bottom end is the same with the exception of the block casting.

In other words, that guy sounds like an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Last edited:

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
If you got a 01 Cobra lock with 97 Cobra parts (WTF?), that sucks for you. 96-98 Cobra blocks are the best blocks ever put in a Cobra.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
The block itself is widely regarded as the strongest ever put in a Mustang.

Search for Teksid block. There is a lot of information on it.

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
Tabres said:
The block itself is widely regarded as the strongest ever put in a Mustang.

Search for Teksid block. There is a lot of information on it.

strongest and it's all aluminum. Light as hell. The blocks on 96-98 cobra's are nothing short of amazing.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
I call :bs: on that. The entire top looks like a 96-98 to me. It's got the coil packs, upper intake, etc like a 97. Unless a prior owner cracked the block some how and found a used 01 block to replace.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Yes, it could be an 01 shortblock with a 96-98 top end.

The uppper intake from a 96-98 will not fit on any other intakes.

Also, the teskid blocks are the strongest but the WAP blocks are good for over 1000hp. In fact, VT has one that puts over 1400hp. BTW, Teskids also came in lincolns from 93-98.

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
the motor could be a remanufactured one like mine. I'm not sure what kind of block or if they stamp them when they send them back out. :shrug:

All I know is I BETTER have a Teskid block :cuss:

97CasperCobra said:
the motor could be a remanufactured one like mine. I'm not sure what kind of block or if they stamp them when they send them back out. :shrug:

All I know is I BETTER have a Teskid block :cuss:

Mike you probably have the WAP block, just b/c you aren't cool like the rest of us :D

matt888

Established Member
Hersheyman said:
I call :bs: on that. The entire top looks like a 96-98 to me. It's got the coil packs, upper intake, etc like a 97. Unless a prior owner cracked the block some how and found a used 01 block to replace.

What do coil packs have to do with it being a 97? :-D
img_0274.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread