found cause of oil leak! dealership wont warranty!

sckcobra

Established Member
well the dealsership called me back today and told me that they finally discovered the where my oil leak was coming from. apparently it is leaking from the oil filter housing adapter. they the proceeded to tell me that ford wouldn't cover it under warranty because of the modifications on the car. i proceeded to tell him that they have to prove by law that the modifications were the direct cause of the failure. the sevice tech told me that that was not true and that any aftermarket part on the car would void the whole warranty. :fm: so i asked if i had just an exhaust on there and the air conditioner went out that they couldnt repair it under warranty? he prceeded to tell me that was infact the case. i told him he was full of shit and chewed him out a little on the phone. this car has been a nightmare thus far. hopefully it will all get better someday! anyhow does anyone know of any mod friendly dealers in the southern california area?

fr03cobra

Established Member
They may write notes on you vin in the computer that you are voided for warranty work. sorry to here that. I have two mod friendly dealers over here in my area. Maybe some will chime in on a mod friendly dealer in your area. They give you an estimate on how much it would cost to repair it?

03COBRASILVER

Established Member
Magnusson-Moss Act of 1976 (I think) says your dealership is full of shit. You need to talk to the service manager/director let him/her know that you aren't some ignorant customer. If that doesn't work, then you need to talk to the GM or owner of the dealership. If THAT doesn't work, you need to get in contact with Ford on their customer service line. What the service writer is telling you is a blatant lie. The dealership/manufacturer must prove that any aftermarket additions to the car directly caused a failure to a certain part to deny a warranty claim on that part. I know, I used to write service at an SVT authorized dealership.

sckcobra

Established Member
yep that is what i thought. they said that it would cost only a cople hunderd bucks to fix, labor included. he then told me they wouldnt do the work even if i payed for it, because of liability issues

DitchTehFish

Established Member
sckcobra said:
yep that is what i thought. they said that it would cost only a cople hunderd bucks to fix, labor included. he then told me they wouldnt do the work even if i payed for it, because of liability issues
What dealership? PM me if you want to..

Tranzlucent

Invade and Terminate!
Established Member
If it is the adapter that holds the oil filter on, then stick a large allen wrench in the adapter and tighten it up. No way if it is this it should cost you more than $25 for anyone to do that if you are unable to do so.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Tranzlucent said:
If it is the adapter that holds the oil filter on, then stick a large allen wrench in the adapter and tighten it up. No way if it is this it should cost you more than $25 for anyone to do that if you are unable to do so.

good point, but the aluminum casting might be cracked...

it has been reported here at least twice that I can think of (MJCHIP was one)

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
i believe that dealer is P----N .... they are not a mod friendly dealer ... one of our members (socal svota) was told that if he changed the size of his tires that they would void his warranty, but they have a used lightning still under warranty with 22's on it ..... when i was looking for a cobra they had a used one ..... full exhaust, cai, ported blower, tb and a few other items but i don't remeber now .... with factory warranty .... was the owner of the dealership ... they can mod the vehicles but you can't .... just follow 03cobrasilver's advice

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
Drew Ford is pretty mod friendly. Home of SoCal SVTOA as well. I'd love to go back but my warranty is up :(

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Just dont raise anymore hell with the dealerships until you get that thing fixed! I am sure there is some mod friendly dealership out there. Wonder why the problem seems to be there sometimes, and gone the next? Or is it leaking all the time now?

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
03COBRASILVER said:
Magnusson-Moss Act of 1976 (I think) says your dealership is full of shit. You need to talk to the service manager/director let him/her know that you aren't some ignorant customer. If that doesn't work, then you need to talk to the GM or owner of the dealership. If THAT doesn't work, you need to get in contact with Ford on their customer service line. What the service writer is telling you is a blatant lie. The dealership/manufacturer must prove that any aftermarket additions to the car directly caused a failure to a certain part to deny a warranty claim on that part. I know, I used to write service at an SVT authorized dealership.

you're in the ball park, it was 1975. If its states in the owners manual that ALL aftermarket parts will void the warranty then it will. So i guess we need to check the "not covered under warranty" section of the SVT owners guide to be sure.

Tom

sckcobra

Established Member
seems to be leaking consistently now. the service guy told me that it only seems to happen when the car is cold. that makes sense cause i only see it when i pull it out of the garage after i havent driven it for a couple of days. then after i drvie it around a little bit wherever i park i always check for oil spots and i never see anything.??? i wonder why this is?

V8Mustang

Established Member
sambandit said:
Just dont raise anymore hell with the dealerships until you get that thing fixed! I am sure there is some mod friendly dealership out there. Wonder why the problem seems to be there sometimes, and gone the next? Or is it leaking all the time now?

Probably a good idea. Try another dealer and just keep quiet about it. If however, they tagged you in the national computer with a voided warranty, then it may be wise to pay an attorney $100 to review and sign a letter addressed to Ford's customer no-service in MI (Allso cc the local newspaper and news channel which Ford will see at the bottom of the letter). I did this once and made way more progress than what I was making with the local dishonest dealer.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Your toast. No if ands or butts about it. I'm sure they've noted it in the system too if you raised some hell. What they will do is void your drivetrain warranty. Things like a/c, windows, etc should still be covered. So in that sense, your advisor is FOS. But Ford has their bases covered here....even with the Magnussen Moss act. The rare exception would be if you could prove the part was defective from the factory and would have failed regardless of mods. But that will cost you more than fixing it yourself. I have heard of exactly one case here on this board where a modded engine was warrantied. He was an attorney...and he proved that Ford had left a bolt out of the engine which caused the failure. But it went to arbitration, etc and would have cost the layman a ton of money.

It has been said here many, many times. If you mod, you must be prepared to bear the costs of all drivetrain failures because unless you have a friendly dealer, you are on your own. You were even warned on one of your earlier threads when you were asked if you were going to de-mod. It's spilled milk at this point.

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
sckcobra said:
seems to be leaking consistently now. the service guy told me that it only seems to happen when the car is cold. that makes sense cause i only see it when i pull it out of the garage after i havent driven it for a couple of days. then after i drvie it around a little bit wherever i park i always check for oil spots and i never see anything.??? i wonder why this is?

You have a crack.... I had this EXACT problem on my 97 Cobra. Just a hairline crack, and when I would start it up cold, I'd have a nice size oil puddle under the car. When it warmed up, the crack would seal and there would be no leakage. Its an extremely easy piece to fix if you have the means. I think it cost me $200 to have a performance shop fix it along with some other things.

Now that winter is coming around, I'd get it fixed pretty quickly so you don't lose a whole lot more oil. :thumbsup:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
FireRed04Vert said:
Your toast. No if ands or butts about it. I'm sure they've noted it in the system too if you raised some hell. What they will do is void your drivetrain warranty. Things like a/c, windows, etc should still be covered. So in that sense, your advisor is FOS. But Ford has their bases covered here....even with the Magnussen Moss act. The rare exception would be if you could prove the part was defective from the factory and would have failed regardless of mods. But that will cost you more than fixing it yourself. I have heard of exactly one case here on this board where a modded engine was warrantied. He was an attorney...and he proved that Ford had left a bolt out of the engine which caused the failure. But it went to arbitration, etc and would have cost the layman a ton of money.

It has been said here many, many times. If you mod, you must be prepared to bear the costs of all drivetrain failures because unless you have a friendly dealer, you are on your own. You were even warned on one of your earlier threads when you were asked if you were going to de-mod. It's spilled milk at this point.
I totally agree with you.

How Ford handles warrantee issues varies from dealer to dealer, but there are those out there who will jump on you with both feet if they don't like the mods you've installed. It makes a lot of people really upset, but that's life once you decide to mod your car. I have always said that anytime you start modding your car be prepared for a warrantee issue. It's a risk we need to accept IMO. But the bottom line is that Ford won't lose if anyone fights the fact that their warrantee was voided due to mods.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
You should be able to find a replacement filter adapter assm used cheap enough, there have been quite a few guys who have gone to the evans inlet who I am sure wont mind selling theirs.

Users who are viewing this thread