Found an abandoned missile silo..

Camaro99SS

Established Member
A little while ago, I logged on to see any of the latest and greatest 03/04 Cobra race videos only to find this thread. I haven't been anywhere else since save for a few phone calls.

That's definitely a cool find! If that site was shut down in 1960 and received several different layers of concrete in areas with radiation, I don't think you'll get enough radiation exposure to have any problems. Then again, I'm no expert on this stuff. Either way, you never can be too careful around places like those. ;-)

Jason

Last edited:

4camwonder

Established Member
01_OXFORD_SVT said:
You sir, have the right idea.. Im forreal, let me know and this can happen.. :banana:

yea, im all about this... and i just watched that damn movie "the hills have eyes".

a road trip may deffinatly be in the plans.

Last edited:

team23jordan

Subaru Legacy GT
Established Member
some crazy shit

I just learned about Love canal and Hooker Chemical Company in school

so this shit is very interesting to me

phen0m

mustang addict...
Established Member
we have got a site no more than 3 miles from our house. I'd say less than a mile to closer local residents. I've been itching to see whats down there in the valley. When you drive by it all you see is an old guard post and fence with a road that leads down to the valley. I'm in the army and getting deployed apr 19 so maybe one night I will put on my mopp (army chemical gear) and take a basic look around. If I did find somthing like an enterance I would not go it alone so don't worry, esp at night. Will take a picture of the guard post by the road so you can see what Im talking about.

Last edited:

03_gt_fo_me

Established Member
You guys are missing something big here.....look at this picture again

missilesilo.gif

see it yet? If I read right the place was left sometime in the 1960's ? lets say 1966 just for shits, thats 40 years correct? See it now? This place is in NJ. in a forest or woods type area ? WHY is it the entire area that is fenced in, aka "the base" has no growth? you see the area surrounding "the base" covered with trees, shrubs and other green growth. Anyone still think ANY part of that facility is safe?

GH1086

Established Member
03_gt_fo_me said:
see it yet? If I read right the place was left sometime in the 1960's ? lets say 1966 just for shits, thats 40 years correct? See it now? This place is in NJ. in a forest or woods type area ? WHY is it the entire area that is fenced in, aka "the base" has no growth? you see the area surrounding "the base" covered with trees, shrubs and other green growth. Anyone still think ANY part of that facility is safe?

It's covered in concrete, I'm sure there is some small shrub growth but nothing big enough to be picked up by that satellite, that satellite can barely pick up cars.

Constable

Established Member
I go to alot of abandoned places,but I'd stay far away from that site... I don't want three dicks.

Some of you were talking as if the air base (Lakehurst, Maguire, or Fort Dix) were closed up as well. THEY ARE COMPLETELY ACTIVE. Lots of my friends and coworkers serve there right now. Hope you don't get caught in there ;)

Danger Dude

Established Member
Blown408 86GT said:
Google it...Mk 40s are small rockets launched by the Apache helicopter. I agree the last pic is some sort of missile "rail set". However, its very doubtful its an ICBM missile silo site. As I said, they are underground and are spread out many miles apart. You probably found an old Nike maintenance and storage dump. I think New Jersey had a ton of them back in the day.

What you are talking about is the Mk 40 rocket motor it is used on many small missiles like the Hydra and predator missile. The company I work for makes them. They are way to small to use that Bomb Dolly

That bomb Dolly in the picture is also way to small for a Nuclear warhead missile.

What the Mk 40 described on the mobile bomb racks or dolly is a Mk 40 Iron bomb commonly called a dumb bomb now. Those bombs were made in the late 40's all the way to the vietnam war. That is a old weapons armory and bunker. The country is dotted with those. I am not totally suprised they left the bomb dolly's there. I have seen case after case where the military closes a site leaves stuff behind. But usually they dig a big ass pit and bury stuff. Where I work now use to be a Airforce Base and they will go to build something out here and find burried pick up trucks and whole tool boxes with tools in them. As far as radiation goes they might have at one time stored nuclear warheads there and there could be trace elements but the best thing to do is either get a rad badge or take a geiger counter with you.

Last edited:

JJPMach1

Red 2003 Mach 1
Established Member
I've actually been inside the Lakehurst Naval Base that is pictured to the right of the site.

The large runway is inactive, the base uses the smaller one to the right. The 4 smaller strips above the large inactive runway is the testing facility for Air Carrier Arresting Systems. They push a preweighted sled (2 tons I think) down a track with 4 Jet engines and use the hook on the sled to catch the cable. Sometimes it misses and the sled goes a few hundred yards into the woods.

Google Earth Location

the one thing that really sucks is that inactive runway is an awesome straight, THe temptation to open up down the strip is killer, But the Freakin' MP's always sit on there, The stupid speed limit is 30 MPH :mj:

I've been in a few military sites, The coolest is where they stored Nuclear warheads (of course it was inactive bunkers) but none the less it was pretty cool. You need military clearance to get out there, the next time I go out I'll take the Mach & get some Pics.

poneypower

They call me Shipwreck!
Established Member
Well I just spent a decent chunk of my morning reading this and I'm glad I did. My buddy lives in NJ and I'd love to hit this place up. Gives new meaning to the phrase "dirty Jersey". j/k. I'd have to say you have very large grapefruits to be wandering around in there. Not only in case some random security patrol is in there, (like they patrol every other first Tuesday or some crap) but even the slightest possibility of contact with radioactive material would make me think twice. we have the Seneca Army Depot here in Western NY and they used to stockpile weapons and nuclear materials from the Manhatten Project there. It has been shutdown since then and much of the base is in use by the town or village offices and such. I've driven in there and seen the "igloos" where they used to store the stuff. It's cool just to be in there knowing what they used to do there. They even have this deer there that is completely white and I am not talking albino or piebald. These are only found at that deopt. They were supposedly fenced in when they originally set up the depot and the gene to cause that all white coat was able to come out due to breeding. I think they ate some grass around the igloos myself...

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/seneca.htm

http://senecawhitedeer.org/history/deer.htm

Danger Dude

Established Member
JJPMach1 said:
the one thing that really sucks is that inactive runway is an awesome straight, THe temptation to open up down the strip is killer, But the Freakin' MP's always sit on there, The stupid speed limit is 30 MPH :mj:

We have a closed runway were I work. It is a great place to do high speed runs. WOO HOO!!!!

ndfrspd03cobra

poneypower said:
Well I just spent a decent chunk of my morning reading this and I'm glad I did. My buddy lives in NJ and I'd love to hit this place up. Gives new meaning to the phrase "dirty Jersey". j/k. I'd have to say you have very large grapefruits to be wandering around in there. Not only in case some random security patrol is in there, (like they patrol every other first Tuesday or some crap) but even the slightest possibility of contact with radioactive material would make me think twice. we have the Seneca Army Depot here in Western NY and they used to stockpile weapons and nuclear materials from the Manhatten Project there. It has been shutdown since then and much of the base is in use by the town or village offices and such. I've driven in there and seen the "igloos" where they used to store the stuff. It's cool just to be in there knowing what they used to do there. They even have this deer there that is completely white and I am not talking albino or piebald. These are only found at that deopt. They were supposedly fenced in when they originally set up the depot and the gene to cause that all white coat was able to come out due to breeding. I think they ate some grass around the igloos myself...

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/seneca.htm

http://senecawhitedeer.org/history/deer.htm

Do you know why New Jersey has the most hazardous waste sites and California has the most lawyers

Cause Jersey got first choice. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread