FORScan mods

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Installed Anzo headlights and used Forscan to turn off the hyperflash and set the turns as the DRLs.
HL.jpg
HL2.jpg

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
What exactly is everyone buying, and where from?
Wife will be getting me this for Christmas.

I just got a $30 cabled OBD2 connector with the flip switch from amazon. I still havent messed with the wife's car. Forescan is still a free download isnt it?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
OK, got everything and installed the software/drivers. Now if I only get some time to play with it.
Did everyone save the stock values before you started?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
OK, got everything and installed the software/drivers. Now if I only get some time to play with it.

Yes you need to save a backup of the current settings in case you need to put it all back for whatever reason

Dip Dungles

Pew Pew
Established Member
Premium Member

Part that sucks is that you have to save each area individually so it takes some time. Make sure to back up to a external drive in case your HD shits it’s self or back up to two locations.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Yes you need to save a backup of the current settings in case you need to put it all back for whatever reason
Thanks Jerry.
Part that sucks is that you have to save each area individually so it takes some time. Make sure to back up to a external drive in case your HD shits it’s self or back up to two locations.
Yeah, I saw that.

Coiled03

Established Member
You can actually download your as-built configuration for each module from Ford service.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Everyone keeps raving about Forscan and to me it seems like it is just something to tinker with. The mod everyone does is bambi mode. I never use high beams and fog lights on with high beams isnt making much of a difference.

The only useful thing i see with it is disabling hyper flash if you put a LED bulb in so you don't have to run a resistor and if you're upgrading your sync system and do not have it pre programmed. You can also enable remote start and trailer brake controller without going to dealership, that is useful. Everything else just seems something to do.

For everyone with auto start/stop, can't you just press a button to turn this off on the actual vehicle?

Myusername

Established Member
Yes there is a button but I felt it was a pain every time to turn it off. I also used for scan to enable my trailer brake controller and to add the factory door buttons to my stx

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Coiled03

Established Member
Everyone keeps raving about Forscan and to me it seems like it is just something to tinker with. The mod everyone does is bambi mode. I never use high beams and fog lights on with high beams isnt making much of a difference.

The only useful thing i see with it is disabling hyper flash if you put a LED bulb in so you don't have to run a resistor and if you're upgrading your sync system and do not have it pre programmed. You can also enable remote start and trailer brake controller without going to dealership, that is useful. Everything else just seems something to do.

For everyone with auto start/stop, can't you just press a button to turn this off on the actual vehicle?

Ummm, yeah. It IS something to tinker with. Isn't that what the car hobby is all about?

Yes, you can turn off the auto start/stop manually. But you have to do it every time you cycle the ignition. It's a PITA if you never want it on.

Dusten

Established Member

Ive used it to change outlet timeout time, turned on secure idle, change sync screen.

Its great for diagnostics and if you add things(digital dash, blis, auto high beams) it allows you to turn them on in the abd

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Ummm, yeah. It IS something to tinker with. Isn't that what the car hobby is all about?

Yes, you can turn off the auto start/stop manually. But you have to do it every time you cycle the ignition. It's a PITA if you never want it on.

What I am saying is, all the things people are changing are not useful IMO. It's just something to say you did. I don't find a problem with pressing a button for auto start either. You have to hold traction control for what, 15 seconds every time you want to disable that too.

Coiled03

Established Member
What I am saying is, all the things people are changing are not useful IMO. It's just something to say you did. I don't find a problem with pressing a button for auto start either. You have to hold traction control for what, 15 seconds every time you want to disable that too.

The definition of "useful" varies from one person to another. A lot of it is people enabling things in lower trim vehicles that are only enabled from the factory on higher trim levels.

I never turn off traction control so I wouldn't know about that lol.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Something to note on the Auto Stop/Start feature

The way you disable it (like I did on my 18' Fseries) is by disabling the Battery Management System (BMS).

The BMS does a couple of things. Ford figured out if you ran a car battery at 12.5 ish volts versus 13-14, it saves some micro MPG. The alternators work less and it's more efficient. However, I noticed a ton of people reporting dead batteries on fairly new trucks. I'm talking like 40k miles and a few years of life. A far cry from the tradition 5 years most used to last. I believe it's due to the BMS/Auto stop start constantly starting the truck, not charging fully, and overall being rough on the systems.

Disabling the BMS lets the regulator charge the battery fully, doesn't demand the truck constantly start up/shut off, and ultimately cuts down on longterm wear.

It's a financial and longevity decision to disable it.

Coiled03

Established Member
I disabled it because, while unnoticeable at first, it was clearly becoming more and more noticeable. I didn't want to have to listen to, and feel the damn starter every time I stopped (yes, I realize it doesn't shut off at every stop).

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
The BMS has been around since either 09 or 11 and it is a little plug by the negative side of battery you can just unplug and forget about unless new trucks, 18 as you mention, throw a code.

Dusten

Established Member

Secure idle was nice it keeps my wife from shutting off her diesel at daycare and coffee shops.

Plus i disabled the ****ing horn honk that it does when you get out of the car without shutting it off. A 6 am, in my driveway or at daycare, its annoying as ****.

Users who are viewing this thread