Forged pistons MMR(manley) vs. Diamond

er22bball0302

Established Member
Which pistons would you guys use? Im leanning torward the diamond piston.
And what compression would you reccomend. Is a flattop to much for a centri-blown car?
The motor is 4.6 teksid 20over , oliver rods, Novi-2000, ported heads, comp blower cams. Looking for around 450-550 for now. Im wanting a tough bottom end in case im not satisfied.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
well, your post makes it hard to help.

For 450-550rwhp, you can run flat top pistons all day long, because with ported heads, and cams, it should only take about 10psi to get there.

You need to decide the maximum power you want, and what octane you want to use to make that power.

For just about any power level on 93 octane, I would go with 9cc CP pistons.

If you want to be extra careful and sacrifice some torque, the 17cc CP piston is also a beast.

From there, I would go with Diamond, and round out with manley.

P.S., you better be expecting over 850rwhp at some point, or else those Olivers are serious overkill.

er22bball0302

Established Member
About those olivers, i got them for free from my brothers build that he never finished, we just did a stock rebuild.

Im mostly limited to 91 most places here in OKC, but 91, 93, and 105 are available a couple of places at the pump.

As far as maximum power, i feel like im just throwing something out there. I can't imagine 700+. Im impressed with my bolt on car w/ 150 shot.

So, a 9cc CP piston would be a good piston, with a middle of the ronad compression.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
a 9cc CP piston is a great choice for a centrifugal car. It gives about 9.2 compression with a .020 overbore, and they are stout as hell. That would be my choice.

roush24

Established Member
yea def. either go with the 9cc so you can run a little more boost if needed or go flattop and keep your boost in check. also make sure you get a good tune. maybe a flip chip so you can run your normal 91 oct. and then you could flip the script on em when you get some 93 + in the tank.

no cigar

I want a $944 camera!
Established Member
I've been thinking about going with a flat top application with minimal centri s/c boost. That is one of the many options though. Reason being I don't want my car to be a slouch in the layover b/w rebuild and power adder, ALSO because even when I do get s/c'd I wouldn't want anything more than 500-550rwhp - or 600 with some race gas.

Are we saying that 450-500 is attainable with flat tops and lower boost, on race gas or with pump gas?

Nazman

Established Member
Ill second the -3cc piston. Diamond makes a killer piston as well. You could go for a special order and get an extra .030 on the top ring land....like this one!

med_gallery_1217_499_40646.jpg

These are -1.5cc:

med_gallery_1217_499_1788.jpg

Naz

Users who are viewing this thread