ford yet again betrays its most loyal customers

Bert5.0

blah
Established Member
You know technically Ford engaged in trademark infringement when they got the names Lightning and Mustang from the WW2 fighter planes.

CleanCobra

The Anti-Bling
Established Member
Bert5.0 said:
You know technically Ford engaged in trademark infringement when they got the names Lightning and Mustang from the WW2 fighter planes.

But lightning and mustang were common words long before WWII and long before Henry Ford was born.

Scotts Elle

Yup. Still don't care.
Established Member
I wonder if it applies to sub product lines like Lightning or Cobra?

This is almost as dumb as the time Donald Trump tried to trademark the phase "your fired".

CO9B3RA

Established Member
:fm: To my way of thinking, why doesn't the German company who forced Ford to
rename Germany bound Mustangs T-5 take action against Ford for stealing
their "Mustang" tractor(?) name? That is present-day history compared to
WWII P-38 Lightnings and P-51 Mustangs: the last new L/M's were made more than 5 decades ago and those co's couldn't hang on to those names
w/o using them.

How else is Ford going to make up for their late, astronomical losses and still
pay the "ceo" his outrageous "salary" & retirement benefits? And we thot our
parts were just getting a "bit" expensive of late.....the markups we could be
seeing soon at the parts warehouses paying Ford for the use of "Mustang" in their business titles, etc. could knock some of us out of the hobby.
:fm: :fm: :fm: :fm: :fm: :fm: :fm: :fm: :fm: :fm: :fm: :fm: :fm:

And SVT is now a nonentity/toothless organization however, I'll just bet Ford
legally quashes any use of it thereof outside their "hallowed halls!" :fm:

I am so tempted to send Ford a few of the "MUSTANG" emblems left over from some of my early restorations and tell them where to "stick it."
:kaboom:
Not so :coolman: :rockon:

(is there a way to take one of rockon's fingers off.....?)

taronis

Banned
00 Aggie said:
Umm, what if Toyota came out with a Mustang, is that different?

Japanese have very, very tiny-a penwis, cann-a make-a mustang...........only Rexbox and a-Camry........... mustang noisier than gozilra! You want-a sake Daniel-san?

Bert5.0

blah
Established Member
You know, "5.0" is synonymous with Mustangs too. Is it time for Ford to take on Silicon Valley?

wvmystichrome

Established Member
ScareCrow said:
So are they going to come after SVT perfromance also for using their " SVT " title ?
This is so stupid in my opinion. At the moment , Ford doesnt need any more bad press or setbacks.

Let's just change it to SID297Performance.com. HA HA. At least we know where our bread is buttered.

svtdriven

Established Member
classic mustang shops should change "mustang" to "rustang". then we'd have "rustangs unlimited" and "classic rustang restoration parts". how would that look for ford?

LogiWorld123

Established Member
All of you-

Read up on copyright law (pertaining to trademark defense) and then come back and tell me what you think.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
Not that Ford doesn't have the legal right to do so, but I don't see how alienating your most loyal consumer base is doing any good. Mustangs and their aftermarket have carved out a name for Ford, attacking it is not smart.

BM1

Established Member
Ford knows there's money to be made in lawsuits, and they don't give a god damn what John Q. Public thinks. You're just another customer whether you bought a brand new Taurus in 1994 or a Mystichrome Cobra in 2004.

Ford knows that they've got a firm grasp on a market of people that don't give a shit. The people that do actually care represent a very small portion of Ford's customer base. Remember that Ford sells vehicles in other countries and we're not their only source of revenue. That makes our significance dwindle that much more in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I saw this report in another thread last week or so. It is also affecting a few forums. I guess Ford is desperate for cash and instead of producing a better product and providing better customer service they're going after "tradmark infringements" that haven't been an issue for years. Just for kicks I did search on "mustang ranch" to see if any horse ranches are going to get sued (LOL!) and was surprised to find the infamous Mustang Ranch brothel. Guess they're next! :eek:

I've fast losing respect for Ford. This could have been handled more better IMO. This goes under the heading 'How to Win Friends & Influence People!"!

00 Aggie

Its just a slow vert...
Established Member
Its not about money, its about copyright and trademark laws. If Ford does not "attempt" to control thier copyrights and trademarks, they lose them to public domain. So what does this mean? Every so often they will go after a business that isnt using a license for trademarked names such as "Ford" or "Mustang" (Mustang as in cars or parts, not the airplane or horse) and send them a letter (and $100k is nothing to a corporation, especially if they want something to stop), that way they appear to be protecting their rights.

This is no different than is Toyota came out with a car and called it a Mustang and Ford told htem to stop (even though I can gauruntee that suit would be a lot more than $100k).

sunburst six

Established Member
What is Ford's contact info? I just want to know who I can tell FUCK YOU to. If they keep this up, I won't be buying anything from them....ever again. Pieces of shit.

BetterthanU

Banned
00 Aggie said:
This is no different than is Toyota came out with a car and called it a Mustang and Ford told htem to stop (even though I can gauruntee that suit would be a lot more than $100k).

actually, it's MUCH different than that. :poke:

Users who are viewing this thread