Ford Sales fall 21.3% for May 2009

SupaNOVA

Is Not Amused.
Established Member
STRONG NEW PRODUCTS DRIVE FORD SALES, SHARE IN MAY

* Ford Fusion, Ford Flex and hybrids sets sales records
* MKS and MKZ sedans help Lincoln brand post sales increase
* Ford, Lincoln and Mercury market share grows to highest level since 2006
* Ford sales totaled 155,954, up 20 percent versus April, and the highest sales for any month since July 2008
* Stronger sales reduce inventories, prompting Ford to announce production increases for second, third quarter
* Ford kicks off summer with "Drive the Ford Difference" promotion

DEARBORN, Mich., June 2, 2009 – New products helped Ford Motor Company achieve its highest market share in three years, even as Ford decreased incentive spending in May. Ford, Lincoln and Mercury sales totaled 155,954, up 20 percent versus April and the highest sales for any month since July 2008.

Sales of the Ford Fusion were 19,786, Ford Flex sales were 4,305 and sales of the company's hybrid vehicles totaled 3,906 – setting three new sales records. In addition, Lincoln's new sedans, the MKZ and MKS, helped the luxury brand post a 2 percent sales increase.

"Consideration for our new products is increasing," said Ken Czubay, Ford vice president, Sales and Marketing. "Even as the competitive environment intensifies, Ford's relentless pursuit of quality, fuel efficiency, smart technology and appealing designs is winning new customers."

The previous Fusion record was set last month with 18,321 cars when Fusion cracked the foreign stranglehold on the mid-size sedan market. It was the first time since July 2002 that a domestic car was one of the top three mid-size cars selling to retail customers. Recent independent studies rate Fusion and the Mercury Milan as having the best predicted reliability among all mid-size sedans. In addition, both models are rated the most fuel-efficient sedans in America.

Combined sales for the Fusion and Milan hybrids and the Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner hybrids totaled 3,906 – a new company record for hybrid sales in a single month. The previous record was set in April 2006, with 3,420 hybrids.

The previous Flex record also was set last month with 3,190 vehicles. Combined sales for all crossover utilities were 35,582, Ford's strongest crossover sales month since last May.

May marked the first full sales month of the 2010 Ford Mustang. Mustang sales totaled 8,812, the highest sales month since last July. This year marks the 45th anniversary of America's legendary pony car.

Lincoln was one of the few brands in the U.S. to achieve a sales increase in May. Lincoln sales totaled 8,566, up 2 percent versus a year ago. Lincoln's sedans, the all-new MKS, redesigned MKZ and venerable Town Car paced Lincoln's sales increase. A new Lincoln full-size crossover, the MKT, will debut later this year.

Inventories and Production
At the end of May, Ford vehicle inventories totaled 350,000 (equivalent to 56 days' supply). This level was 41,000 vehicles lower than at the end of April and 210,000 vehicles lower than a year ago.

Given tightly controlled inventories and the strength of its new products in the market, Ford is increasing second quarter North American production by 10,000 vehicles (to 445,000). Ford also announced it plans to build 460,000 vehicles in the third quarter, an increase of 42,000 vehicles compared with third quarter 2008.

"At Ford, the future is now," said Czubay. "New products account for 50 percent of our sales, and demand for these products is driving our market share gains. We encourage customers who are in the market for a new vehicle to 'Drive the Ford Difference.' "

To provide added incentive, Ford is announcing a new summer merchandising program, Drive the Ford Difference. From June 2 through June 30, Ford will cover up to three months' worth of payments up to $2,100, and Ford Credit will offer 0 percent financing on select Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles.

picture1wpr.png

picture2xhe.png

picture3dch.png

picture4bfp.png

Edit: ok so looking around it seems that it was actually 24% and I am slightly retarted.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Fords-May-sales-fall-24-apf-15414341.html?.v=3

Will be interesting to see how the other car companies do.

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
There appears to be some silver lining in all that.

The big question is, are they making any money off their car sales? Their big profit makers are way down year over year. That's been the problem all along, making money on car sales. Not the big fat margins that the truck's & SUV's bring.

Last edited:

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
Very good data. Considering the market and the industry, those #'s appear to be very good if not strong.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Very good data. Considering the market and the industry, those #'s appear to be very good if not strong.

I would say strong is a bit of a stretch. As I said above, their big money makers are still waaaay down. They, along with the other domestics need to demonstrate that they can actually make money selling cars.

Still too early to say they are out of the woods, but things look hopeful.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
The sales declines seem to be holding steady at ~20% for each month if Im understanding that right. With it holding like that they can better prepare for future for when the market hopefully picks up again.

I'm curious to see what Toyota posts.

I wonder how many sales Ford will pick up from loyal American buyers that won't buy from a bankrupt, government run GM and Chrysler anymore.

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I wonder how many sales Ford will pick up from loyal American buyers that won't buy from a bankrupt, government run GM and Chrysler anymore.

I think that's very hard to tell as most domestic buyers are very loyal to one particular manufacturer, i.e. Ford people only buy Ford products and GM only GM products. Unfortunately, a lot of people still don't realize that Ford is not in the same boat as the other two. The just see it as the all the U.S. makers are going bankrupt.

No matter what, we can't afford to lose any of these sales to the foreign makers.

Fenah

Crazy Greek Man
Established Member
They will have to continue to cut back until they become profitable again. Their sales may have fallen from last year but I don't think that's something id worry about since pretty much all auto companies are falling down % wise. i see the light at the end of the Tunnel for Ford, may be early though. I hope the best for Ford as well as Gm, and Chrysler. Tis good to be a Ford junkie.

2003 Silver

Banned
Sales aren't a reliable indicator in this market as everyone's sales are declining...so in the realm of things they are doing ok.

LaFlavor

Established Member
Sales fell and thats a good news?

Sales aren't a reliable indicator in this market as everyone's sales are declining...so in the realm of things they are doing ok.

We'll just have to wait until the other manufacturers (especially Toyota and Honda) report to get a better idea how they fared. If Ford only fell 21% and Toyota fell 45%, it's decent news for Ford. Not very good news for the auto industry as a whole, but a gain in market share is certainly good.

2003 Silver

Banned
We'll just have to wait until the other manufacturers (especially Toyota and Honda) report to get a better idea how they fared. If Ford only fell 21% and Toyota fell 45%, it's decent news for Ford. Not very good news for the auto industry as a whole, but a gain in market share is certainly good.

Exactly...more a matter of who's bleeding less. Plus the vehicles they plan to bring to market over the next few years look promising and in touch with reality.

SupaNOVA

Is Not Amused.
Established Member
Gm down 30%
Chrysler down 30%
Honda down 39.2%
Toyota down 38.4%
Nissan down 33%
BMW down 28%

Common

Established Member

I didnt even look at the charts or take into consideration how much are the other losing.

<<<<<<Is not very smart today.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Glad to see Ford is bleeding the least. Toyota and Honda must really be doing some head scratching to be in the worst positions.

Users who are viewing this thread