?? Ford Racing Trac Loc vs. Eaton LSD ??

CobraTerritory

Merica
Established Member
So i'm in the process of ordering up parts for my solid axle swap while the housing is at powdercoat. Kinda at a cross roads with which 31 spline diff to order. The Eaton LSD is double the price of the FRPP Trac Loc. The car is a weekend car and this season i'm planning to hit the local drag strip more often. So is the Eaton LSD really worth the extra cash or not??

Ford Racing

Ford Racing 8.8 in 31 Spline Traction - LOK Mustang Limited Slip Differential w/ Carbon Discs M-4204-F318C (86-14 V8; 11-14 V6) - Free Shipping

Eaton

Eaton 8.8in 31 Spline Mustang Limited Slip Differential 19588-1 (86-14 V8; 11-14 V6) - Free Shipping

Eaton Detroit Truetrac

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtl-913a561/overview/

Thanks for all the help.

J.R.

Last edited:

sam92lx

SVTP Style Consultant.
Established Member
I like the Detroit true-trac bc it doesn't use clutches and doesn't need rebuilding.

CobraTerritory

Merica
Established Member
Thanks Scott. I guess i'm comparing 3 now.

actually a buddy of mine ran the TrueTrac on his car and got a lot of rearend noise. probably installation error though

Last edited:

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
Since your car is not a true dedicated track car, I'd personally go with the FRPP for the price! Bang for the buck....I also believe that's the same carrier that came stock in our IRS Cobra's!

...If I wasn't building a 33-spline SRA, I would go with the FRPP!

GL :)

03TopDown

Slither
Established Member
Since your car is not a true dedicated track car, I'd personally go with the FRPP for the price! Bang for the buck....I also believe that's the same carrier that came stock in our IRS Cobra's!

...If I wasn't building a 33-spline SRA, I would go with the FRPP!

GL :)

Your right. That does come factory in our irs cobras.

03TopDown

Slither
Established Member
I replaced the ford differential with the true trac and have no regrets so far. +no clutch discs to replace

May93

Established Member
Go with the Ford unit. 31 spline will be the perfect track and road setup. The money you save can go towards the axles needed.

BLK_03

Established Member
Can't help ya bud. I'd put a spool in it and never touch the rear again. But I only drive on nice days and consider tires a 3-5k mile maintenance item regardless.

gabe1530

Banned
i have a true trac in the 9 inch on my 66 coupe. i love it but for what your after i would go with the frpp.

03TopDown

Slither
Established Member
Detroit True Trac here and notice nothing different than OE, other than I never have to go back in to service it.

that is worth the lil bit of extra money to me. thats why i did it. dont have to service it unless something horrible goes wrong. but i doubt it with this unit

Tractionless1

Established Member
that is worth the lil bit of extra money to me. thats why i did it. dont have to service it unless something horrible goes wrong. but i doubt it with this unit

I asked around ALOT before buying mine and never heard of any issues on cars with north of 1k hp and tq. including launching on slicks. That's good enough for me, especially for $420.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I run the DL Truetrac 33 spline.
It is quiet as stock, holds big power and plants both rear tires for drag strip usage.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i'm not one to talk since i have a tendancy to piss money away unecessarily and run expensive diffs in both my cars, but to answer the op's actual question... for a weekend street and occasional strip car, probably not.

nice, but not really necessary.

best of luck with it :beer:

Last edited:

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
I just ordered a true trac for my truck. From what I hear you cant go wrong with them, service free and they always lock up

shurur

Established Member
Detroit Truetrac is a torque sensing diffy. It senses wheelspin before it happens. It gives 75% power to the wheel that has better traction. It will hold you to the inside corners....unlike the OEM "peg-leg" diffy that gives more to the weaker slipping wheel. Even drag racing folks are using it and it's stronger than it's rated for. All it takes, at most, is a tap of the brake or jog of the steering wheel. Don't oversteer!!

Last edited:

Steve@Tasca

If you (or anyone) do want go with the Track-Lok I can do it at least $15.00 cheaper than A/M and that is including shipping. :)

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread