Ford Racing Sparco Steering Wheel Installed

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Not sure that is true. The car is not throwing any advance trac/Traction control codes and I can turn it on and off as I please. It works for me. That's all I know lol. Only thing I still need to do is wire in a resistor for the airbag light.

When you figure out what resistor you need, post it up.

JSkwarek

BUY, MOD, SELL, REPEAT!
Established Member
Figured I'd add my two cents, as I'm currently ripping the interior out and installing this wheel.

I've given up on trying to eliminate the airbag light. There's a lot more to it than just the airbag. The airbag is simple. Add a 2.2 ohm resistor between the two airbag wires and that gets rid of that code. However, there is also a sensor that tracks where the seat is in relation to the steering wheel that needs to be bypassed. There is a set of wires that run to the seat belt buckle as well as the seat belt retracting mechanism that also need to be bypassed. I spent days ohming out things and couldn't get all codes to go away. Being that I have no airbags, I simply placed a sticker over the airbag bulb behind the gauge face. No more light to annoy me.

GPACLERO, What wires did you grab for the horn? Do you recall?

Jason

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
Figured I'd add my two cents, as I'm currently ripping the interior out and installing this wheel.

I've given up on trying to eliminate the airbag light. There's a lot more to it than just the airbag. The airbag is simple. Add a 2.2 ohm resistor between the two airbag wires and that gets rid of that code. However, there is also a sensor that tracks where the seat is in relation to the steering wheel that needs to be bypassed. There is a set of wires that run to the seat belt buckle as well as the seat belt retracting mechanism that also need to be bypassed. I spent days ohming out things and couldn't get all codes to go away. Being that I have no airbags, I simply placed a sticker over the airbag bulb behind the gauge face. No more light to annoy me.

GPACLERO, What wires did you grab for the horn? Do you recall?

Jason

Jason,

I can't remember exactly which wires it was. I followed the wiring from the OEM wheel and found where they hooked up to on the hub and tapped in to that.

I keep telling myself to figure out how to turn off the airbag light but it has been on for so long that it no longer bugs me. The sticker approach would work too I guess haha :whine:

80KM2E

Established Member
So the Sparco Hub doesn't fit over clock spring apparently?
Did the NRG one fit over clock spring or did you remove it ?

What year is you're car?

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member

What year is you're car?

It's a 2014. Not sure about the Sparco hub, but the NRG is what I use and it works pretty well.

Thalilbear02

Established Member

What year is you're car?

No, the sparco hub doesn't, you'll have to remove the clock spring. Only disadvantage to this is really just the fact that when you use your turn signal, it wont click OFF when you've made the turn. Other than that it doesn't make any difference since everyone knows already the buttons cannot really be attached to the wheel and have to be re-routed.

Mine:

F3230713-5E92-4602-B5CB-ECDE539D45A8.jpg

80KM2E

Established Member
Yes, I don't care about those as much. But removing the clock spring also means you lose advance Trac doesn't it? Because it relies on the clock spring for the steering angle inputs to work properly. Clock spring removal = advance trac faults.

This is why I was asking about traction control in earlier posts here.

Thalilbear02 can you confirm?

80KM2E

Established Member
Picked up an OMP Wheel hub.
Doesn't fit over clock spring - So I filed it down to fit over the top connection port.

0fd8QnJ.jpg

I'm curious if anyone knows what those two yellow pegs are for? I'll either have to drill holes in the hub to fit them through or cut the pegs off the clock spring. My concern is that they could be there for the steering wheel angle... However, If I cut them off & then bolt the hub down I think the clock spring will still be able to rotate with the wheel as it will be right up against the clock spring.

I've ordered the Sparco wheel & in the meantime my OEM wheel is now without the M18A1 and when the recall parts are available ill be dropping it off to Ford, the bag by itself - not my vehicle. :lol:

Thalilbear02

Established Member
Yes, I don't care about those as much. But removing the clock spring also means you lose advance Trac doesn't it? Because it relies on the clock spring for the steering angle inputs to work properly. Clock spring removal = advance trac faults.

Personally I didn't care if it did or not, traction control is off all the time anyway since it's not really a street vehicle anymore. Since I have the Vortech on, it's not like traction control really worked anyway, but I'll test it whenever I have time.

80KM2E

Established Member
Thats alright. I'm gonna have to get the boss module eventually because of advance trac causing me issues with big tires.

I'm gonna still see if I can retain the clock spring with the hub. I'll do a write up with photos soon and report back if anyone in the future is interested in this.

80KM2E

Established Member
Would be great if someone could do a photo / write up on how to wire the horn onto the button kit. I'll try figuring that out too but have never touched electronics

80KM2E

Established Member
I've managed to install it. Modified the OMP hub to fit over the clock spring and functioning. Traction Control / Advance Trac works and Turn signal cancel works.

2ms0iz7.jpg

s1kex2.jpg

Need to order a button kit and wire up the horn still.. before I get a VI or ticket.

2012 Boss 302

Established Member
Hello

I recently installed the same wheel.
Did you solve the problem with the airbag light?

Google it just to verify but, here we use two 1 ohm resistors in series to test airbag circuits. DO NOT USE A DVOM TO CHECK AIR BAG RESISTANCE. Just go buy a handful of resistors and keep adding until the light goes off. Shouldn't take more than 5 ohms.

2012 Boss 302

Established Member

From Alldata shop info:

• "Power Steering Control Module (PSCM) located in the steering gear, sends steering angle and rotation information to the ABS module."

ABS controls Advance Trac along with the PCM....

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
Would be great if someone could do a photo / write up on how to wire the horn onto the button kit. I'll try figuring that out too but have never touched electronics

Wiring up the horn kit is actually fairly simple. If you follow the original harness wires for the horn, you will see which two wires need to be connected. I will take a picture the next time I open it up.

I am probably going to be adding in some more resistors because the airbag light is still on. The two from RadioShack did not seem to work for me. I will probably add in another two to increase the resistance and see if that works. Car is currently in the shop due to a failed throw out bearing, McLeod RXT going in within the next week

80KM2E

Established Member
Got the two button kit from Sparco & wired both up to horn for now - Was extremely easy having zero wiring experience.
I took out the buttons from the oem steering wheel and plugged it into the clock spring running the sparco wires to the red horn cable and sandwiched the ground in-between the hub and wheel. Tucked away all the wires in the hub.

Hardest part was bolting up the sandwich (hub, metal plate, ground, two sparco horn brackets and the wheel itself) without one of them shifting around on you / lining it all up. I'm not using a quick release.

I need to figure out which wires go to which buttons so you could wire up any of the oem wheel buttons to function with a Sparco button. You could even buy x2 of the two button kits and have x4 buttons with the way the backing plate works. If anyone has a wiring diagram that would be cool otherwise it would be a long game of testing each wire and what it does.

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
Got the two button kit from Sparco & wired both up to horn for now - Was extremely easy having zero wiring experience.
I took out the buttons from the oem steering wheel and plugged it into the clock spring running the sparco wires to the red horn cable and sandwiched the ground in-between the hub and wheel. Tucked away all the wires in the hub.

Hardest part was bolting up the sandwich (hub, metal plate, ground, two sparco horn brackets and the wheel itself) without one of them shifting around on you / lining it all up. I'm not using a quick release.

I need to figure out which wires go to which buttons so you could wire up any of the oem wheel buttons to function with a Sparco button. You could even buy x2 of the two button kits and have x4 buttons with the way the backing plate works. If anyone has a wiring diagram that would be cool otherwise it would be a long game of testing each wire and what it does.

That's awesome, I told you it was easy! Let's see some installed pics

Users who are viewing this thread