Ford Pickup Rant

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
They really ****ed up a great motor. Lots of oil consumption complaints out there. Dual fuel systems just to clean the back of the valves.
I looked at a Silverado Trail Boss at the Auto show yesterday. Nice package. Never owned a Chevy my entire life, first time I've ever entertained the thought.

mat50ho

Established Member
They really ****ed up a great motor. Lots of oil consumption complaints out there. Dual fuel systems just to clean the back of the valves.
I looked at a Silverado Trail Boss at the Auto show yesterday. Nice package. Never owned a Chevy my entire life, first time I've ever entertained the thought.

Only reason to own a Cevy is if you want to watch your money rust into nothing before your eyes. The wax coating on the 14 and newer falls off the whole underside rusts.

_Snake_

Established Member
Standard practice on the powerstrokes for a while now. Once you've pulled the cab a few times it really becomes a cake walk. Its far faster and a better approach than doing it cab-on. We can have mine off in 45 mins. I see people bitch about shops pulling the cab all the time, but the truth is I'd avoid any shop that doesn't pull it!

I feel the opposite way for pre-2008 trucks.

Equalbracket

Established Member
Welp

I spoke to soon. My 18' Screw has 4k miles on it. Time for an oil change. Decided to check the oil out of curiosity before I drop it off tomorrow.

Not a single drop on the stick. 100% bone dry. Things gotta be 4 qts low.

Had oil in it about 1500 miles ago.

If it needs a motor, Ford or the dealer is buying it back. I will not keep it. Essentially ruins the trucks value at that point now since warranty work/engine repairs show up on the carfax/vin reports.

I’m at 15k miles on the factory oil in my 18” Silverado, lol

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

Actually is was a great idea to add dual injection. Added power and cleans the valves. I dont kniw what they changed to cause the oil consumption but it clearly wasn't tested well enough prior to release

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Actually is was a great idea to add dual injection. Added power and cleans the valves. I dont kniw what they changed to cause the oil consumption but it clearly wasn't tested well enough prior to release

Bingo, the composite/dual injection really is a must on any DI motor. Every mfr that has used only DI has had issues with carbon, crud buildup on intake valves. The port injection also helps with low speed power production in a DI motor. As for the oil consumption, think it’s somewhat normal for higher hp, compression motors to an extent. That has nothing to do with the motor being DI. If it really is excessive in these newer 5.0s, then ford may need to take a harder look at the pcv setup and ring control. Perhaps a smaller orfice in the pcv circuit.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member

I really like the GMC AT4 and it has the option of the 6.2

1wild-horse

Established Member
I disagree only because the 5.0 was a p.i. engine first. They are using dual injection on the 18's and forward, yeah maybe it cleans the valves but the engineers said it was mainly for efficiency not power. Which is fine, that is the way of the future, better fuel economy. From a technician standpoint, my comment, they ****ed up a good thing.. We have had several DI Ecoboost that will foul the plugs just from moving them around on the lot. Never a 5.0, until now. Had a 2018 that wouldn't start. Yep, fouled the goddamn plugs. Although an easy task, it has complicated a simple system. Now there are two systems you need to diagnose and it will most likely prove to be difficult to isolate a fuel issue. I'm also not trying to tie DI to the oil consumption issue. Probably unrelated, but again wasn't an issue when the 5.0 was first released so I think they regressing and not making the engine better.
In time though I'm sure they will work it out, this is growing pains.

1wild-horse

Established Member
I really like the GMC AT4 and it has the option of the 6.2
Saw those too, I just like the grille in the Silverado better.
I see GM does the same as Ford. Only certain options available under certain packages.. unless I'm mistaken, but I don't think the 6.2 is an option on the Trail Boss

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Saw those too, I just like the grille in the Silverado better.
I see GM does the same as Ford. Only certain options available under certain packages.. unless I'm mistaken, but I don't think the 6.2 is an option on the Trail Boss

6.2 is not a TB option unfortunately

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I disagree only because the 5.0 was a p.i. engine first. They are using dual injection on the 18's and forward, yeah maybe it cleans the valves but the engineers said it was mainly for efficiency not power. Which is fine, that is the way of the future, better fuel economy. From a technician standpoint, my comment, they ****ed up a good thing.. We have had several DI Ecoboost that will foul the plugs just from moving them around on the lot. Never a 5.0, until now. Had a 2018 that wouldn't start. Yep, fouled the goddamn plugs. Although an easy task, it has complicated a simple system. Now there are two systems you need to diagnose and it will most likely prove to be difficult to isolate a fuel issue. I'm also not trying to tie DI to the oil consumption issue. Probably unrelated, but again wasn't an issue when the 5.0 was first released so I think they regressing and not making the engine better.
In time though I'm sure they will work it out, this is growing pains.

It was definitely part of adding power for ford. Adding the DI allowed ford to bump up the power for the trucks and the mustangs. Sure there was efficiency along with that. Ford didnt mess up a good thing. They improved on a good thing. The oil consumption is something they will figure out and will be fixed. If anything ford added cost to the fuel system which is something most manufacturers dont do. But they saw all the added bonus of adding that cost.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
It was definitely part of adding power for ford. Adding the DI allowed ford to bump up the power for the trucks and the mustangs. Sure there was efficiency along with that. Ford didnt mess up a good thing. They improved on a good thing. The oil consumption is something they will figure out and will be fixed. If anything ford added cost to the fuel system which is something most manufacturers dont do. But they saw all the added bonus of adding that cost.

GM went thru those growing pains with early LS motors. They had to redesign the pcv system, piston and ring land changes as well. My 2014 coyote uses oil, not bad, but it’s between 1-1.5 qts every 3-4K miles. I suspect most is lost the pcv, intake tract was full of oil. I run a catch can, breather setup now.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Only reason to own a Cevy is if you want to watch your money rust into nothing before your eyes. The wax coating on the 14 and newer falls off the whole underside rusts.

I would argue but yeah i got some surface rust on mine.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Honestly if I hadn’t became such a pussy. I would crawl under the truck sand it down and spray rust prevention on it

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
GM went thru those growing pains with early LS motors. They had to redesign the pcv system, piston and ring land changes as well. My 2014 coyote uses oil, not bad, but it’s between 1-1.5 qts every 3-4K miles. I suspect most is lost the pcv, intake tract was full of oil. I run a catch can, breather setup now.

The high compression adds to oil consumption.
Gm also had issues with the DI systems in general with the LS motors

Users who are viewing this thread