Ford Pickup Rant

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Im stubborn, im in 2wd until theres literally no chance of moving forward. Auto 4x4 is for soccer moms and soccer mons only

Then you just got T boned turning right onto the 4 lane highway. My gripe isn't with how it works off roading, it's icy road driving. I have driven both systems for years, I know which one I like for that.

If I buy a used transfer case, won't even be that spendy.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I saw your post on F150 forum too. I kinda agree with you. If I'm pulling out onto a dry street but the corner I'm on is ice I have two choices. Leave a huge gap so I can get up to speed or put it in 4x4 and have the truck buck and jump in the turn.

I turn it off again once I'm up to speed if I put it on. Annoying but not a big enough deal to me to swap transfer cases. Looks like we have pretty much the same truck and similar driving conditions.

blk02edge

Established Member
Then you just got T boned turning right onto the 4 lane highway. My gripe isn't with how it works off roading, it's icy road driving. I have driven both systems for years, I know which one I like for that.

If I buy a used transfer case, won't even be that spendy.
I do not like 4wd on icy roads, only to get moving, unpredictable loss of front end lateral grip in 4x4's is one of the reasons trucks seem to be in the ditch the most.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I do not like 4wd on icy roads, only to get moving, unpredictable loss of front end lateral grip in 4x4's is one of the reasons trucks seem to be in the ditch the most.

It's that getting out of the ice on the intersection and onto the dry road where you can accelerate up to speed that auto 4x4 really shines.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
auto 4wd will not save you on slick ice. Driving on fresh snow in 4wd is one thing but a slick coat of ice can ruin your day in a hurry. Even a proper advancetrac AWD with center diff and torque vectoring can spin out on ice.

If you're going to drive around like an idiot on a slick road at least use dedicated winter tires and if necessary studs. But again, even this won't stop someone from plowing into you at a redlight cause they hit an ice patch. People wil never learn and ill just sit back with popcorn watching those 40 car pileups on icy roads cause they just had to make a taco bell run.

ford doesn't care about auto 4wd. They know its just a gimmick that few buyers actually care about.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I saw your post on F150 forum too. I kinda agree with you. If I'm pulling out onto a dry street but the corner I'm on is ice I have two choices. Leave a huge gap so I can get up to speed or put it in 4x4 and have the truck buck and jump in the turn.

I turn it off again once I'm up to speed if I put it on. Annoying but not a big enough deal to me to swap transfer cases. Looks like we have pretty much the same truck and similar driving conditions.

If my 4x4 shop says he can do it, I will post up the invoice. I think a used transfer case would be fine.

blk02edge

Established Member
It's that getting out of the ice on the intersection and onto the dry road where you can accelerate up to speed that auto 4x4 really shines.
Yea for sure, thats the scenario id just click it on to get rolling and then turn it off. My last work truck was a 4x4 silverado with auto 4x4 and thought it worked horrible. Clunky and the old computer controlling shit. Not for me. Ive been getting around fine in my 1 ton 2wd van in this overly snowy winter we are having lol

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
You are wrong, people who live down South don't care, nor should they.

4A wasnt even offered on an f150 until like 2012 or something. How did the other 50 million f150s manage to get around without it? (^_^) Lets be real here, its a gimmick option and deceptively advertised as being equivalent to AWD, which it isnt.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
4A wasnt even offered on an f150 until like 2012 or something. How did the other 50 million f150s manage to get around without it? (^_^) Lets be real here, its a gimmick option and deceptively advertised as being equivalent to AWD, which it isnt.

GM has had it forever and sold a lot of trucks up North as a result. I used it for years, you literally don't understand how nice it is. Can anyone get around without it, of course! Is it really nice having it with a winter like we currently have? Hell yes!

It matters enough that a guy figured out how to make the swap happen.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
lots of weight in the back and blizzaks should solve the issues. I think Ford made the trucks too light anyway. Truck needs a little weight to keep your ass end in line.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
You are wrong, people who live down South don't care, nor should they.
I live in a state that sees plenty of snow and ice, including mountain regions that have been getting hammered. Oddly enough I don't see XLT's in ditches all over the place. So odd...

On Ford truck #6, none have had an auto function, yet I have managed to survive every winter as have the thousands of Ford trucks I see all over. Seems like the want for nannies is to cover for lack of attention when driving.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I live in a state that sees plenty of snow and ice, including mountain regions that have been getting hammered. Oddly enough I don't see XLT's in ditches all over the place. So odd...

On Ford truck #6, none have had an auto function, yet I have managed to survive every winter as have the thousands of Ford trucks I see all over. Seems like the want for nannies is to cover for lack of attention when driving.

More like you don't know what your missing, I've driven both on snow and ice, I know what I like. This is a strong preference issue for me, everyone is free to make their own decisions.

Based on what it takes to make the swap, Ford is turning easy money away by not letting it be an option.

Maybe @SID297 could check his Ford peeps and do a little piece on it. I am really curious as to why, in fact, they don't?

mat50ho

Established Member
Buy the parts, spend 6 hrs in the garage and report back if the swap was worth the money and effort.

Users who are viewing this thread