Ford Lightning potential value.....

SVT Wylde

The Accountant
Established Member
I have a mint condition 2002 Ford Lightning with 24,000 miles on the clock and several thousand dollars in mods. I have been thinking about selling it for the past few months and I was wondering if I am about to make a huge mistake? I know its hard to predict the classic car market but will these trucks hold their value or keep going up in the future? Right now KBB.com lists mine at about $20,000 through a private seller which isn't to bad for a 14 yr old truck.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
They are at the bottom of the market now. They should hold and climb. But I don't think you're going to see huge gains for at least 10 years, then the nostalgia factor kicks in.
I'm kind of doubtful that we'll see the big gains like we saw for the muscle cars. That generation had much more disposable income and the car culture was a much larger part of their youth. Automobiles play a much smaller part in society's lives nowadays.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Lighting is a classic car already?!?! No. Might go up MANY years from now & may also stay the same or fall. It's a gamble like anything else. If you bought it to make $ you should hold for a long time...

SVT Wylde

The Accountant
Established Member
It's not a classic yet but I was trying to determine if would be worth keeping in the garage. I guess the market is to unpredictable to know for sure but I paid $25,000 for it in 2004 so it's not dropping like other vehicles. When I looked up the value 4 years ago it was at $16,900 so there has been some gain or maybe it was a website error at the time.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Look at history for your answer. All the classics that are pulling big money are certifiable originals. Not several thousands in mods vehicles.

SVT Wylde

The Accountant
Established Member
I can have it back to original in less than a week so I've got that covered. :dancenana: Ehhhh, I'll probably sell it. I can be enjoying a different car now and not wait for a gain that I may or may not get.

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Kinda like some of the 03-04 cobra guys who think they'll be worth a fortune. Maybe in 20 years, if they are stock, and good luck with that. I own one, lol.

SVT Wylde

The Accountant
Established Member
I don't expect a fortune out of it but if I could get a reasonable gain in a short period of time I'd keep it for a while but there is just no way to predict that I suppose. I'm just bored with it and I'll find a buyer who will appreciate it for what it is. I'm looking at a 302 BOSS

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
When you look at the cost of properly storing a vehicle, storage insurance, basic upkeep, you are better off selling and tossing the money in your investment account. Plus, to keep it's value you can't drive it much, kind of like marrying a super model that you can't bang.

Tx5811

Veni, vidi, vici
Established Member
I wish they were worth that much. Mine would be on the market lol. But lately I have seen people asking crazy amounts of money for lightnings. Dealer here in Texas asking 26k for a lightning with a whipple but stock internals. Only a matter of time on that one

o2gt

Established Member
I'm really surprised that kbb has such a high valuation on the truck. I wonder how many are really being sold near that. I guess I could see someone paying that much but that being more of an outlier. I think there really cool, I wanted one in high school. hell i would still like one , but not at that price.

Dusten

Established Member
I'm really surprised that kbb has such a high valuation on the truck. I wonder how many are really being sold near that. I guess I could see someone paying that much but that being more of an outlier. I think there really cool, I wanted one in high school. hell i would still like one , but not at that price.
Buddy paid 22k a year ago for an 02 with 22

SVT Wylde

The Accountant
Established Member
I took mine to a few local dealers and their jaws drop when they see it but they low ball me a $$15-16K offer knowing they will put it on the lot priced in the mid $20's. I know it's just a Lightning, but its a non smoker, factory engine, low mileage, no leaks, ice cold A/C, 95% perfect interior, 98% perfect exterior, garage kept truck and that's not counting the mods. I'll bet only around 5% of the Gen 2 Lightnings ever build can still make that claim but it will take finding the right buyer who is willing to pay more than what the bank will loan on it.

Here she is, every time I think about selling it I get a little sick but I'm going to pull the trigger and do it.

29962_1125532434148_5736192_n.jpg

1913319_10201465579673428_516386591_o.jpg

29962_1125532514150_6422839_n.jpg

Last edited:

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
$20k is an extremely generous value estimate...

Anyways, decades from now your truck will lose a significant amount of value simply because it isn't factory stock. :nono: Thats assuming lightnings will ever become desirable classics. Thats a big "if"........

Users who are viewing this thread