Ford is finally replacing both of my heads due to the TICK! Have some ??

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
CobraBob said:
There have been some who "thought" they had the real tick issue but it WAS injector noise. Just take a look at how many people have to ask whether they might have it. It's one of those things that are prominent in the minds of people so any sound that even resembles a tick is suspect.
Very well said! :thumbsup:

I think people tend to forget that while a significant number of Cobras have developed this problem, the majority of these cars don't have it. But when your $30K car makes a funny noise, the natural reaction is to be concerned. I know I would be...but my car doesn't tick (knock on wood!)

Don't you wish that Ford had issed a recall on all '03/'04 Cobras for replacement of all heads? Nothing wrong with dreaming. LOL!
:lol1: New heads for all!!!! :-D

Yeah...no way is this going to turn into a recall. I'll be very interested to see if any vendors (or engine builders) get ahold of this new head and do some comparisons on what exactly has been changed.

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
My Heads should be in this coming week. Both are being replaced, and the part numbers match the ones mentioned in this thread. All Cobras, 03 and 04, could be affected. MY 04 was verfied and confirmed to have it. Ford already bought back my 032 which had the Tick as well and several other problems. Thanky ou for all of the advice.

LCCOBRA

Established Member
CobraBob said:
There have been some who "thought" they had the real tick issue but it WAS injector noise. Just take a look at how many people have to ask whether they might have it. It's one of those things that are prominent in the minds of people so any sound that even resembles a tick is suspect. Ford like all dealers won't always properly diagnose a problem but in their defense sometimes the owner is making an issue of a non-issue. I would recommend that anyone who thinks they might have a tick issue try to hook up with a dealer who has actually worked on cars that had the issue. Maybe, just maybe, those dealers will do a better diagnosis. Ford dealers are not going to replace heads unless they are sure there is actually a problem.

Don't you wish that Ford had issed a recall on all '03/'04 Cobras for replacement of all heads? Nothing wrong with dreaming. LOL!

Something to think about cobra bob as I’m not even sure if I have the tick or will as the miles on my car are clocked at around 8300 and I hear of some ticking later down the road mile wise. But I took it to the dealer and was wondering about the tick but the service writer and the tech at the time couldn’t really here anything except like you said cobra bob injector noise and maybe someone with the tick or had it at one time could chime in and tell us if it can be mistaken as an injector noise instead of the tick. I do here it’s really loud though. I really have nothing to base it off of as I have yet to here an actual case in person but I do have a sound clip saved from a person that had the tick and it was loud. But come spring I’ll have them listen to it again and see if they hear anything, but at the time that I was asking about the tick they didn’t have the replacement head that actually worked. But if it turns out I do have the tick then it will really suck as I would have to demod everything right down to the stock air box but the only thing I would be worried about is the rims as their aftermarket and bigger tires. But dealing with issues of the tick I don't see how they would void for bigger tires/rims but you never know its ford and at times I think they'll do anything to void a warranty. But will see what happens come spring and good luck to those having the new heads installed.

Last edited:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
brasil said:
My Heads should be in this coming week. Both are being replaced, and the part numbers match the ones mentioned in this thread. All Cobras, 03 and 04, could be affected. MY 04 was verfied and confirmed to have it. Ford already bought back my 032 which had the Tick as well and several other problems. Thanky ou for all of the advice.

James; which dealer is doing the swap for you?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
LCCOBRA, do you have any friends or club members (if you're in a Mustang club) in your area that could help you in your diagnosis? If you're concerned I'd recommend you try to hook up with someone who has experienced it. Or find a good dealer who can do a good diagnosis. It's a tough call because as Top Fuel said, when you hear any motor noise you get concerned and want to know if there is an issue. And too often when you take the car to the dealer the issue is never big enough for them to hear it. Maybe our ears are more sensitive to noises. Ain't it the truth! LOL! Best of luck with your car. I really hope you get to the bottom of it soon so that you have more peace of mind. I know what you're going through.

LCCOBRA

Established Member
CobraBob said:
LCCOBRA, do you have any friends or club members (if you're in a Mustang club) in your area that could help you in your diagnosis? If you're concerned I'd recommend you try to hook up with someone who has experienced it. Or find a good dealer who can do a good diagnosis. It's a tough call because as Top Fuel said, when you hear any motor noise you get concerned and want to know if there is an issue. And too often when you take the car to the dealer the issue is never big enough for them to hear it. Maybe our ears are more sensitive to noises. Ain't it the truth! LOL! Best of luck with your car. I really hope you get to the bottom of it soon so that you have more peace of mind. I know what you're going through.

I'll figure something out but thanks for the kind words

DitchTehFish

Established Member
mj8 said:
BTW, I just called SVT and it's true, the new heads should be the fix for our tick.
Left side head part # 2C5Z-6049-BAB
Right side head part # 2C5Z-6049-CAB

In early January these same part numbers arose and supposedly they were available. So I called my service manager and he called the SVT technical line, the guys that only the dealers can talk to. Anyhow, the service manager called me back with the same ol' info, the heads are still in production. :rollseyes WTF, I'm going back tomorrow and I'm NOT taking no for an answer. :mj:

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
SilverCobra04 said:
In early January these same part numbers arose and supposedly they were available. So I called my service manager and he called the SVT technical line, the guys that only the dealers can talk to. Anyhow, the service manager called me back with the same ol' info, the heads are still in production...
Wow that's pretty sad. Ford is really slow in getting this info out to dealers for some reason. You'd think every SVT dealer would have some official notification by now. :shrug: These heads have supposedly been available for over 6 weeks now.

I guess next time have them call the non-technical line, since they seem to be the only ones who will gladly acknowledge that there are new heads available.

I don't know what's up with those part numbers. A Ford parts counter will tell you they don't exist right now...but guys in this thread have work order paperwork with those numbers. Hmmmm... :read:

DitchTehFish

Established Member
Top_Fuel said:
Wow that's pretty sad. Ford is really slow in getting this info out to dealers for some reason. You'd think every SVT dealer would have some official notification by now. :shrug: These heads have supposedly been available for over 6 weeks now.

I guess next time have them call the non-technical line, since they seem to be the only ones who will gladly acknowledge that there are new heads available.

I don't know what's up with those part numbers. A Ford parts counter will tell you they don't exist right now...but guys in this thread have work order paperwork with those numbers. Hmmmm... :read:

Update on my situation. Today I called my service manger and DEMANDED the revised heads be ordered. The service manger called me back and FINALLY acknowledged the heads are available. However, they only found 1 of the heads in stock in detroit, the other head is on backorder. :nonono: He assured me that both heads have been ordered, but God knows how long the backordered head will take to come in.

Last edited:

blacksnake04

Need for Speed
Established Member
To tick or not to tick

Elapidae said:
Ok... Not to be argumentative but all the ticking Cobras I’ve heard have the same tick I do. It’s loud on start up and quiets down when the car warms up. Mine never goes away completely but it’s definitely louder on cold startup. That would seem to counter the “Heat” theory and point to what Ford originally said about the tick (a clearance issue).
Now… since there are two new heads out to resolve the tick (which I thought had been identified as being in only one head previously), that seems to support the Heat issue and water passage improvements.

Pretty darn confusing to me? :shrug:

And after hearing about the great engine building skills of the dealerships above, I’m thinking I might just live with my little ticker… ;-)

Already posted in engine/mods. Posting here because it's relevant...

I think I have it. I've also got a bad case of Tick Anxiety

I've searched and read through more posts than I can count. My tick is loud on a cold start but still noticeable after running hot for any length of time.

I'm confused because this noise is coming from the passenger side around the front wheel, not the driver side. Hood is closed. It's as loud if not louder than a couple sound clips I found on the forum. Driver side is quiet. When the engined has warmed up the sound can only be heard outside.

I don't know what injectors sound like but this definitely sounds like valve train to me.

I get on it from time to time but haven't been to the track and I haven't done any high speed runs over 120. Oil changes have been about every 3k give or take. I have 11k on a 04 built in 11/03.

I'm about to take it to the dealer but would like to have all my ducks in a row before I do. My mods are cai, exhaust and sfcs. I don't expect any problems with warranty coverage.

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
this "tick" sure is a random thing. i don't think many cars have it. but boy i sure feel for you guys that do.good luck

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
brasil said:
I got a call from the dealer today, and both heads are in!!

James: which dealer is doing the work for you? Or would you rather not say? or are you simply ignoring my question? Any response would be nice.............

Last edited:

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
Hey Mark, I just saw your post man. I have not heard from you for years! WHere have you been? Still driving the Caddy? Pm me your number, and I will call you!

Users who are viewing this thread