Ford is finally replacing both of my heads due to the TICK! Have some ??

Paratrooper82d

Established Member
I got mine back from the dealer on Tuesday after getting the heads replaced for the head tick. I had it up on the rack this morning getting an alignment and I was looking under it and it was leaking oil. I thought it may have been just from where the dealer changed the heads. Cleaned off the oil, drove it around about an hour and let it sit for another hour, put it back on the lift, and she is definitely leaking oil from the right side cylinder head, so I guess it is back to the dealer on Monday. They had the car to begin with almost two weeks the first time. Said they had to pull the motor to change out the heads.

mj8

Established Member
Wow, don't like to hear those kinds of stories. Wish you the best with everything bro.

BTW, I just called SVT and it's true, the new heads should be the fix for our tick.
Left side head part # 2C5Z-6049-BAB
Right side head part # 2C5Z-6049-CAB

Lets hope Paratrooper82d case was a one in a millon chance. no offense :)

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
Ok... Not to be argumentative but all the ticking Cobras I’ve heard have the same tick I do. It’s loud on start up and quiets down when the car warms up. Mine never goes away completely but it’s definitely louder on cold startup. That would seem to counter the “Heat” theory and point to what Ford originally said about the tick (a clearance issue).
Now… since there are two new heads out to resolve the tick (which I thought had been identified as being in only one head previously), that seems to support the Heat issue and water passage improvements.

Pretty darn confusing to me? :shrug:

And after hearing about the great engine building skills of the dealerships above, I’m thinking I might just live with my little ticker… ;-)

EVIL1

Get Outa My Way!
Established Member
The "real" tick occurs when the engine has reached normal operating temp.

Mine was diagnosed last year with "the tick" and I can only hear it when it is warmed up all the way!!

I have all the papers and everything from when it was diagnosed so I should be able to get them replaced no problem!

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Paratrooper82d said:
I got mine back from the dealer on Tuesday after getting the heads replaced for the head tick.
Can you clarify that for us... Did they replace both of your cylinder heads? Also, do the part numbers on your work order match the ones mentioned in this thread? You are the first person (I think) to come forward who has actually had these new heads installed.

Paratrooper82d

Established Member
Top_Fuel said:
Can you clarify that for us... Did they replace both of your cylinder heads? Also, do the part numbers on your work order match the ones mentioned in this thread? You are the first person (I think) to come forward who has actually had these new heads installed.

Top, they only replaced the left side head on mine. Although mine is the 03 Cobra.

4.6speed

Established Member
Elapidae said:
I wonder what a "water passage modification" has to do with the tick? :??:
This is what I was wondering. So the head is getting hot and then it makes the tick? I am just asking because the tick is the ONE problem that I have not experienced with my car, yet I read so much about it. I just want to make sure I am not over looking something. It seems to me that if there is a serious design flaw in the head than everyone should have there heads replaced, right??

eatonmufs

Established Member
I just started hearing mine a week ago and it seems to be getting louder. Heres my concern which no one has mentioned yet. Are all of you who are bringing your cars to the dealership stocking them back out? I notice that some are modded and was wondering the the dealer reaction. I don't mind stocking mine out but what a project. I heard they send a tech from SVT to examine the engine for modifications.?. I have marks on the blower snout from pulley install. Anyway, any advice or help would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Paratrooper82d said:
Top, they only replaced the left side head on mine. Although mine is the 03 Cobra.
That was the common fix on the early '03s. Left side head only replacement.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
eatonmufs said:
Just got off the phone with the dealer ship. They said that since my car was built Feb 2004, the head issue did not pertain to me. Yea I'm mad.........
That is BS. At one time that was true. But SVT has released a new fix. Tell your dealer to call SVT. If you want, call them (SVT) yourself on Monday and ask for Matt. Actually any of the reps should be able to help you. But there most definitely is a new fix, so don't let your dealer tell you otherwise.

03SvtSonicCobra

I got the Sonic Blues.
Established Member
What happens if they keep giving you the lame excuse thats its you Fuel Injectors Ticking? Just wondering because i bet alot of dealerships are going to do this so they don't have to fix your head.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
eatonmufs said:
...Heres my concern...I notice that some are modded and was wondering the the dealer reaction.
Dealer reaction can be all over the place. Depending on the dealership some mods seem to be OK. Ford reaction, however, is another story...they are pretty consistent. If a Ford rep sees mods on your car (especially the kind listed in your sig), you are screwed.

Here are some threads you might want to check out...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156431
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153128
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74993
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126431

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
eatonmufs said:
They said that since my car was built Feb 2004, the head issue did not pertain to me.
Bob's right...they are giving you out-dated info. There was an old TSB for the head tick that applied to early-build '03. This is probably why they gave you that story. Definitely call SVT.

By the way, here's the old TSB. I wonder if they'll issue another updated bulletin with the new heads... :shrug:

Article No. 03-11-4

ENGINE - MUSTANG COBRA - TICK NOISE FROM ENGINE - COBRA VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH ENGINES BUILT BEFORE 11/1/2002 ONLY
Publication Date: May 23, 2003

FORD: 2003 MUSTANG

ISSUE:
Some 2003 Mustang Cobra vehicles with engines built before 11/1/2002 may exhibit an unusual engine tick noise that is present at all temperatures during idle. This noise may be due to valve guide wear in the left bank cylinder head. Guide wear manifests itself as a tick noise which can be heard at the rear of LH head, through LH catalyst, at the LH front wheel well and may not be heard with the hood open.

ACTION:
Use the diagnostic procedures listed in this article to evaluate the vehicle condition and replace the cylinder head if applicable. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
NOTE: THIS REPLACEMENT CYLINDER HEAD WILL NOT IMPROVE OR REDUCE PERFORMANCE.

In order to diagnose noise, the following items must be checked:

Verify noise by placing a stethoscope on the back of the left head near the exhaust ports.

Verify that the noise is heard in the left side exhaust system (left side wheel well or catalytic converter, from underneath the vehicle).

Try to isolate the noise by canceling the cylinders, by unplugging the injectors one at a time (start with #8 cylinder).

Verify that there are no exhaust manifold leaks.

Check to make sure that the camshaft spacers are in place. If not, install cam spacers (per Workshop Manual Section 303-01C) and retest vehicle.

Check for proper cam sprocket bolt torque, retorque to spec listed in the Workshop Manual Section 303-01C.

Check for spongy lash adjusters (refer to Section 303-00 in the corresponding Workshop Manual).

Verify that the timing chain tensioner pin has been removed.

If the above diagnostics does not eliminate the noise while the cylinders are cancelled, and the engine was built prior to 11/1/2002, replace the left side cylinder head and cam assembly with Part Number 3R2Z-6049-GA. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 303-01C for cylinder head replacement procedures.

PART NUMBER / PART NAME
3R2Z-6049-GA Cylinder Head And Cam Assembly - Left - Cobra Only

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
03SvtSonicCobra said:
What happens if they keep giving you the lame excuse thats its you Fuel Injectors Ticking?
In some cases, that's true. If you have to pop your hood and bury your head into the engine to hear a tick, it probably is your injectors. The infamous head tick can (in most cases) easily be heard with the hood closed just standing next to the car. If you think you have a real problem that is being ignored, just go to another dealer.

Article No. 03-11-4

ENGINE - MUSTANG COBRA - TICK NOISE FROM ENGINE - COBRA VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH ENGINES BUILT BEFORE 11/1/2002 ONLY Publication Date: May 23, 2003

FORD: 2003 MUSTANG

ISSUE:
Some 2003 Mustang Cobra vehicles with engines built before 11/1/2002 may exhibit an unusual engine tick noise that is present at all temperatures during idle. This noise may be due to valve guide wear in the left bank cylinder head. Guide wear manifests itself as a tick noise which can be heard at the rear of LH head, through LH catalyst, at the LH front wheel well and may not be heard with the hood open.

ACTION:
Use the diagnostic procedures listed in this article to evaluate the vehicle condition and replace the cylinder head if applicable. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
NOTE: THIS REPLACEMENT CYLINDER HEAD WILL NOT IMPROVE OR REDUCE PERFORMANCE.

In order to diagnose noise, the following items must be checked:

Verify noise by placing a stethoscope on the back of the left head near the exhaust ports.

Verify that the noise is heard in the left side exhaust system (left side wheel well or catalytic converter, from underneath the vehicle).

Try to isolate the noise by canceling the cylinders, by unplugging the injectors one at a time (start with #8 cylinder).

Verify that there are no exhaust manifold leaks.

Check to make sure that the camshaft spacers are in place. If not, install cam spacers (per Workshop Manual Section 303-01C) and retest vehicle.

Check for proper cam sprocket bolt torque, retorque to spec listed in the Workshop Manual Section 303-01C.

Check for spongy lash adjusters (refer to Section 303-00 in the corresponding Workshop Manual).

Verify that the timing chain tensioner pin has been removed.

If the above diagnostics does not eliminate the noise while the cylinders are cancelled, and the engine was built prior to 11/1/2002, replace the left side cylinder head and cam assembly with Part Number 3R2Z-6049-GA. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 303-01C for cylinder head replacement procedures.

PART NUMBER / PART NAME
3R2Z-6049-GA Cylinder Head And Cam Assembly - Left - Cobra Only

Thanks

EVIL1

Get Outa My Way!
Established Member
Since ford redesigned the water passages and is basically admitting that the old heads have a poor or inadequate design,do you think they will issue a recall!

YGETV8

Established Member
If there is a TSB (am guessing they'll have an updated one) on these, why would they call in an SVT rep to determine if it is a needed repair? I thought that was for major repairs that they may have thought were due to owner abuse or mods. They are ADMITTING, by the mere existance of these replacements (second replacement now or third?), that there is a problem.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
03SvtSonicCobra said:
What happens if they keep giving you the lame excuse thats its you Fuel Injectors Ticking? Just wondering because i bet alot of dealerships are going to do this so they don't have to fix your head.
There have been some who "thought" they had the real tick issue but it WAS injector noise. Just take a look at how many people have to ask whether they might have it. It's one of those things that are prominent in the minds of people so any sound that even resembles a tick is suspect. Ford like all dealers won't always properly diagnose a problem but in their defense sometimes the owner is making an issue of a non-issue. I would recommend that anyone who thinks they might have a tick issue try to hook up with a dealer who has actually worked on cars that had the issue. Maybe, just maybe, those dealers will do a better diagnosis. Ford dealers are not going to replace heads unless they are sure there is actually a problem.

Don't you wish that Ford had issed a recall on all '03/'04 Cobras for replacement of all heads? Nothing wrong with dreaming. LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread