Ford Hints at The 2015 F-150 - The Atlas Concept

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...6541-ford-hints-2015-f-150-atlas-concept.html

Ford Atlas Concept: The Future of Pickups

• Innovative design integrates capability and smart technologies to transform customer expectations of what Built Ford Tough® will look like in the future
  • Next-generation EcoBoost® – coupled with advanced engineering and design innovations – creates leading fuel efficiency and increased capability
  • Trailer towing and cargo hauling are made easier with innovative features designed specifically for truck owners to improve utility and confidence

DETROIT, Jan. 15, 2013 – Ford today unveiled the Ford Atlas Concept to showcase the design, capability, fuel efficiency and smart technologies that will define future pickup trucks.

“The Ford Atlas Concept previews the innovations that will transform what people expect from their pickup,” said Raj Nair, Ford group vice president, Global Product Development. “With 36 years as America’s best-selling pickup, we are absolutely committed to setting the agenda in the truck market.”

[youtube_browser]9Rsa_9lkbbY[/youtube_browser]
Design with purpose
The Ford Atlas Concept is inspired by decades of listening to customers at the places they work and play. The result is a purpose-driven design with prominent wheel arches, a wide stance and chiseled grille – all to reinforce its functional Built Ford Tough® image.

“We wanted the concept to reflect how Ford trucks help customers in both their worlds – professionally and personally,” said J Mays, Ford group vice president and chief creative officer. “Every surface and feature in the vehicle has been crafted for purpose and capability while retaining an unmistakable Built Ford Tough look.”

Designers enhanced truck functionality, while creating new advanced features(see infographic here). For example, multiple tie-down points are integrated within the cargo box walls and load floor, along with 110-volt electrical outlets in the cargo box to charge power tools. An integrated roof carrying system and hidden extendable ramps give the truck unique functionality for a variety of jobs.

The interior is themed with structural styling cues and features the latest thinking in comfort, utility and refinement. Innovative, thin, lightweight seating in comfortable leather allows for extra legroom for rear passengers – along with integrated storage for smaller items. “Floating” instrument pods and glove-friendly buttons and controls keep the interior functional and ruggedly stylish.

Leading fuel efficiency
The Ford Atlas Concept features a next-generation EcoBoost® powertrain, which introduces truck-enhanced Auto Start-Stop engine shutoff technology. Auto Start-Stop shuts off the engine when stopped in traffic to save fuel – and smartly suspends the feature when the truck knows it is towing.

EcoBoost engines use gasoline direct injection and turbocharging to deliver fuel-economy gains of up to 20 percent and reduction of CO2 emissions of up to 15 percent, compared with larger-displacement engines. More than 500,000 EcoBoost engines have been sold globally, including 250,000 in the Ford F-150.

The Ford Atlas Concept goes further to save fuel through a combination of active aerodynamic elements that reduce wind resistance. They include:

• Active Grille Shutters: Automatic shutters behind the grille stay open when extra engine cooling is needed, such as during low-speed stop-and-go driving or while working in hot weather. The shutters automatically close to improve aerodynamics when cruising on the highway at steady speeds
  • Active Wheel Shutters: Automatic shutters in the wheels are hidden to improve style at rest and low speeds, but automatically close at highway speeds to improve aerodynamics. Self-charging batteries use energy from the wheels’ motion to power the shutters
  • Drop-Down Front Air Dam: A drop-down front wind spoiler lowers at highway speeds to improve underbody airflow. The air dam is raised at low speeds to improve ground clearance – helpful for off-roading
  • Power Running Boards: Auto-deploying running boards help passengers enter the truck at rest and tuck up against the truck when it is moving to improve aerodynamics and ground clearance

The combination of these fuel-saving features saves more than 2 mpg on the highway without diminishing towing or hauling capability.

Work and play smarter, not harder
Ford Atlas Concept is a rolling showcase of features that improve capability, durability and productivity to meet the diverse needs of pickup truck owners. Features include:

• Dual-Purpose Tailgate Step and Cargo Cradle: The acclaimed Ford Tailgate Step goes a step further by adding the ability to also act as a cargo cradle – lifting and holding extra-long cargo items above the truck and freeing valuable bed spaceTrailer Backup Assist: This segment-first innovation allows drivers to back a trailer with the twist of a knob. Ford research shows that backing a trailer is often the most intimidating task a truck customer can face
  • Dynamic Hitch Assist: Hitching a trailer can be time consuming and difficult. Dynamic Hitch Assist helps precisely line up the truck’s hitch with the trailer coupling, eliminating maneuvering guesswork by showing visual cues in the truck’s center display screen
  • 360-Degree Point-of-View Camera: A Ford truck first, the system gives a bird’s-eye view of the truck to help position the vehicle in tight places or when there are obstacles near the truck – such as on a busy job site or grocery store parking lot
  • LED Headlamps and Taillamps: Advanced LED lighting offers better road illumination than conventional halogen or HID lights and lasts longer. LED lamps also offer near-instant response, giving valuable extra warning time for following traffic
  • LED Cargo Box and Side Mirror Lighting: Advanced, powerful yet efficient LED lighting brightly lights the cargo box and job site after the sun goes down with minimal battery drain compared to standard headlights or plug-in lights
  • Hidden Cargo Ramps: Lightweight, durable loading ramps stowed below the cargo box can be quickly removed and set up to assist with loading wheeled items into the bed – from landscaping equipment to dirt bikes

Ford_Atlas_Concept_002.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_003.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_004.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_005.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_006.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_007.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_008.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_009.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_010.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_011.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_012.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_013.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_014.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_015.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_016.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_017.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_018.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_019.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_020.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_021.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_022.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_023.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_024.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_025.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_026.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_027.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_028.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_029.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_030.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_031.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_032.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_033.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_034.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_035.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_036.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_037.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_038.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_039.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_040.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_041.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_042.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_043.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_044.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_045.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_046.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_047.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_048.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_049.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_050.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_051.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_052.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_053.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_054.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_055.jpg

Ford_Atlas_Concept_056.jpg

-SID297:beer:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
not a truck guy, but i like this and would consider it with a 2.3-2.5 eco 4...?
Um...I wouldn't think so...but you never know. This truck will still be pushing the scales at around 5000#, so the smallest motor will still be the 3.7 and 3.5 EB, unless they go to a diesel option by then, which will likely me a small turbo 3.xL DI...MAYBE dip into the upper 2s for a fleet truck.

Wait, a truck looks like another truck... STOP THE PRESS YA'WALL!
I'm referring to design cues. The current F150 looks nothing like the other competitors. Just like the Ram looks nothing like Ford or Chevy/GMC, and the Chevy/GMC looks nothing like the other two.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm not a truck user either, but I like Ford's commitment to being the leader in this vehicle segment. I expect the 2015 will be a hit. At least I hope so.

Shifty Powers

The Shifty Mobile
Established Member
That is awesome! Looks good from the outside and the interior looks like it has gone up a notch again as well! Ford keeps leading their trucks in the right direction.

Those automatic aerodynamic vents and all are cool. But man can I see those things getting Fed up and causing some other problem or costing a butt ton to fix.

Otherwise that is awesome!

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's a good looking truck. I hope it doesn't get lost in the mix like a few other prototypes..

ford_bronco.jpg

6a00d83451b3c669e20120a7791b52970b-800wi

2007-Ford-Interceptor-Concept-2.jpg

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
I hope the new ecoboost will get the MPG its rated at. Seeing that the bad MPG threads on F150online (and the like) are 10:1 over the Good MPG threads...it scares me to get one.....and i want one so bad lol.

I remember when Truck Trend did a tow test with 8k trailer and the 5.0 vs the Ecoboost...sure the eco won the drag race but all the editors noted the 5.0 did fine on power and never was underpowered...and it got almost 2mpg better.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
?? That exact bodystyle has been the truck of the year twice...with no changes lol.
Don't ask me how. I was more or less poking fun at the fact that truck hasn't changed and isn't much more advanced than the previous gen truck...

I hope the new ecoboost will get the MPG its rated at. Seeing that the bad MPG threads on F150online (and the like) are 10:1 over the Good MPG threads...it scares me to get one.....and i want one so bad lol.

I remember when Truck Trend did a tow test with 8k trailer and the 5.0 vs the Ecoboost...sure the eco won the drag race but all the editors noted the 5.0 did fine on power and never was underpowered...and it got almost 2mpg better.
Yeah, when I saw all those threads popping up right after people started buying EBs, I was very skeptical...

we need a RC/SB truck with the 3.5EB in it, GET ON IT FORD.
Too bad they stated they aren't going to do so. But you can order a 5.0 in a RC/SB. :burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread