ford gt burn to the ground

08mojo

Established Member
Perhaps, I'm wondering why a boy and his father would close the doors to a $450,000 car they are fleeing from that just burst into flames.

I've heard others saying this may be some sort of insurance fraud, but who knows. Whenever I get out of a car, I close the door without even thinking. I'd think if I was fleeing from a car, I'd use the door as 'leverage' to get away faster and it would shut as a result.

03'Darin

Established Member
Shows you just how hot these cars are.......

As far as insurance goes that will be interesting. Insurance pays based on market value. Back in 1991 when the Explorer first came out and was selling exceptionally well one of my customers total theirs. I had sold it to them new and about 6 months later they totaled it. Insurance paid them more than they paid for it new.

As far as Ford building an extra unit to replace that one... I strongly doubt it. Only way I'd possibly see that happening is if it was proven that Ford was at fault for the fire.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
@03'Darin, even if Ford is found to be at fault, I don't see another one being built. The owner, assuming it was not insurance fraud, will be compensated monetarily. Ford won't just build a replacement.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
The fact is these cars will draw seven figures after their 24 month owner contracts expire... insurance in all likelihood will only pay MSRP.... unless he had a stated value insurance policy and opted for $1m+ value.
Ford gave the GT350 owner who’s car burned up on track a new GT350R... they might make an extra one for this fellow if no fraud is found.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Perhaps, I'm wondering why a boy and his father would close the doors to a $450,000 car they are fleeing from that just burst into flames.

Based on the tow straps on the front wheel, they may have, or are about to move it when the pic was taken. It would make sense to close the door.

Impossible to know for sure based on a few pics.

Last edited:

raustin0017

Established Member
Going to turn out that the guy was in way too deep over his head and used a 1/2 liter of petrol to assist solving his $$$ problems...just my guess.
The chance of having a fuel leak and an ignition source (think spark not heat) is far fetched.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
@DBK any idea what ford will do?

Haven't asked but I would be 99.9% positive they will build him another (assuming it's the cars fault). They have never committed to a maximum build number.

Not sure what happened, but I'd be inclined to think it's something Euro specific. They've built 250+ cars now, and there hasn't even been a car wrecked, let alone roasted, and the vast majority of those cars are in the U.S. Now they are building a huge amount of cars for Europe, with Euro specific hardware, trying to crank them out before Euro 6 and one catches fire. I was up at the production facility a couple weeks ago and virtually every car in production was bound for the EU.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
After being in and out of a Ford dealership for most of my adult life, Ford has progressively gotten more "proprietary" in the tools needed to work on these cars. I imagine the EU variations aren't any better, and compound that again with the fact it's a GT.

The likelihood they fooled with anything is pretty low. I'm honestly not sure what they could've done to the car to cause this in the first place. It's not like they could call up MSD and order a set of coil packs along with a set of ID injectors.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
One sold at mecum for $1.8 million back in May.

I had a feeling Ford will build the customer another one, if it was a Ford issue. GJ confirming my beliefs DBK!

Users who are viewing this thread