Ford GT Aluminum block motor in 2000 Cobra R #177

TimB

Established Member
Bruce

Looks good , where did you run the oil lines to the tank and are you building a enclosure for the oil tank. I can relate to the comments about the project being a little tougher than expected .

Tim

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
may i ask who belongs to the #70 Bondurant car?

A fellow Wisconsinite track dawg Tim owns the Bondy car.

Looking good Bruce!

Thanks Andy. It's been a challenging project to say the least. I'm a little happier now then when I talked to you earlier. :-D

Bruce,

What did you do for the starter?

Al Papitto machined the block for Mustang install and starter.

results???

437/413 on 93 with a conservative break-in tune.

We gained about 3-4 HP with every pull. Motor only has about an hour on it or less. The idle was our biggest problem due to the cams (we believe) because it kept throwing off the MAF. Of course Marv had that figured out in no time! :bowdown:

what happen to the old eng.?

Nothing. It's a perfectly good functional virgin 2000 Cobra R motor that will sit on an engine stand in my shop with a sign on it that reads:

Original 2000 Cobra R motor
177 of 300 built
low mileage
driven by an old guy
on the weekends only
not for sale

What'd you use for the "pan", and windage tray? Stock FGT?

The pan is an Aviad piece that came with the dry sump kit.

I can't tell you for sure if there's a windage tray in there or not?!?! Maybe Marv can answer that?!?

Bruce

Looks good , where did you run the oil lines to the tank and are you building a enclosure for the oil tank. I can relate to the comments about the project being a little tougher than expected .

Tim

Tim:

We had not run all of the tank lines at picture time. I was not planning on an enclosure. Do I need one? Do you have one?

Ironically enough the only oil leak we had was on the only fitting we never touched. The adjustment screw for oil pressure on the dry sump pump. Go figure.

I hope to pick the car up tomorrow and start prepping it for the break in event this weekend.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member

We gained about 3-4 HP with every pull. Motor only has about an hour on it or less. The idle was our biggest problem due to the cams (we believe) because it kept throwing off the MAF. Of course Marv had that figured out in no time! :bowdown:

what type of numbers were you looking for when you started this project? and do you feel that you are on your way to reaching those goals?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
what type of numbers were you looking for when you started this project? and do you feel that you are on your way to reaching those goals?

To be honest with you we really didn't have a "number" as a goal. It was more of a project to be different.

I don't see any issues on smashing the 450 barrier pretty hard with a new tune on 100 octane. But only time will tell.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
it will be interesting to see if you feel any difference in the handling with the new bullet in front? i was going to say maybe a little less brake dive then i remembered you dont use the brakes, they just slow you down!!!!;-):bowdown:

good numbers either way. nice!

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Just a side note. For someone looking to reduce the weight of his vehicle I'm surprised you haven't replaced that 30-40 lbs front bumper beam with 5-10 lbs of aluminum stock.

Glad to see this project reaching completion. For the group can you list the before hp/tq numbers to the group and the mods made to reach the new numbers?

Last edited:

BIGGESTJOHNSON

Established Member
Tim:

We had not run all of the tank lines at picture time. I was not planning on an enclosure. Do I need one? Do you have one?

Ironically enough the only oil leak we had was on the only fitting we never touched. The adjustment screw for oil pressure on the dry sump pump. Go figure.

I hope to pick the car up tomorrow and start prepping it for the break in event this weekend.

Yes we are running a tank enclosure, we like to refer to it as the Little Chief Smoker", As soon as I figure out how to post them, I will post some of our pics.

Wayne

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Bruce, that is an awesome motor :rockon:

I even managed to find the video you made firing it up for the first time:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMwm3wwqtwc"]YouTube - Lego 1440 rpm V8[/ame]

:burnout:

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
The pan is an Aviad piece that came with the dry sump kit.

I can't tell you for sure if there's a windage tray in there or not?!?! Maybe Marv can answer that?!?

Cool, thanks

Al Papitto machined the block for Mustang install and starter.

Interesting, what cams? Al P spec? Compression? Did you use the piston squirters? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm planning one of these out, and the more examples the better!

On a related note, Al's driver w/ ported R's, secret grind comps, proto R intake, (possible stock cobra shorties?) made 462/440 in its final tune and if I'm not mistaken a bit less power than you on startup... If his build is any indication I'll bet you find that 450 fairly easily!

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Just a side note. For someone looking to reduce the weight of his vehicle I'm surprised you haven't replaced that 30-40 lbs front bumper beam with 5-10 lbs of aluminum stock.

That may be something I will look at in the future. My front fascia needs replacing and I kind of like that Steeda splitter bottom. All in time.

Glad to see this project reaching completion.

I drove the car last night. Ok, technically it was just putting it in the trailer. But it sure seems like a hot rod. :pepper:

For the group can you list the before hp/tq numbers to the group and the mods made to reach the new numbers?

Unfortunately I don't have a baseline run. :( But after the Bassani catted X-pipe install along with my home made Spin-Tech cat back the car put down 385/384 at Mid-Ohio April 04.

Then after the removal of the cats, new Burns Stainless mufflers, the installation of my 90mm intake kits I sold on this forum, along with a Tune from Marv at C and M, she cranked out 410/388.

MORE PICS!!!

I want more pics :cuss:

Patience man, patience! ;-) The car needs to be prepped for the weekend! :read:

Bruce, that is an awesome motor :rockon:

I even managed to find the video you made firing it up for the first time:

:burnout:

Thanks Dave. No offense, but I like my motor lots more.

Cool, thanks

Interesting, what cams? Al P spec? Compression? Did you use the piston squirters? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm planning one of these out, and the more examples the better!

On a related note, Al's driver w/ ported R's, secret grind comps, proto R intake, (possible stock cobra shorties?) made 462/440 in its final tune and if I'm not mistaken a bit less power than you on startup... If his build is any indication I'll bet you find that 450 fairly easily!

From what Marv tells me, the Avaid pan has built in scrapers and there is no windage tray. No real need for it. There is not a lot of oil that accumulates in the pan. It's getting sucked out by three scavenge lines.

Cams are .480" lift both int. and exh. 230 degree intake duration @ .050" and 233 or 234 degree exhaust duration @ .050".

SlowSVT

Established Member
Bruce

Can you post wider angle views of your car? You were teasing me with the close up details but I could not see the big picture. I bet that car is more fun then a 22 year bleach blond old Newport Beach bimbo........... probably cost less too.

I hope you post a vid of the race this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread