Ford GT Aluminum block motor in 2000 Cobra R #177

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
First off I must thank Marv at C&M Performance for his tireless efforts on this project. http://www.candmperformance.com/

I honestly think that if we both knew what this project really was going to take, I doubt either of us would have had the intestinal fortitude to tackle the job. But luckily we didn't know what we were in for and did the job. (we is defined as Marv 98% and me 2%) ;-)

The basics: Ford GT Aluminum block with a pair of ported 2000 Cobra R experimental heads, utilizing the original cobra R intake with an Aviad dry sump system.

The project started a while ago and we had hoped to fire the new motor on Saturday but ran into too many snags. The good news is we fired the motor today! :bowdown: Ok, technically Marv fired the motor, I just fetch tools! :p

Here are a few pics of the new mill:

motorfrontal0.jpg

pandsdd9.jpg

remotefilterwb7.jpg

oilcoolergr4.jpg

oilpump2ug8.jpg

oiltankventfe3.jpg

Dyno on 93 is scheduled for tomorrow. Hope to break 400 RWHP ;-):p

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Why did you go dry sump?

Since you are "weight conscious" how much did you remove with the block and add with the dry sump?

Tom

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
Why did you go dry sump?

Since you are "weight conscious" how much did you remove with the block and add with the dry sump?

Tom

There is a little better distribution of the weight also, with that oil can in the back. About 5 gals. of oil?

Bruce,

VERY COOL, by the way.

steve121

Established Member
Bruce,
When are we going to see the top view of that engine? I noticed your oil filter is behind the bumper cover. When I had the MM k-member installed I had to relocate mine, but I decided to mount it in the open spot where the battery used to be. It's much easier to service not to mention a safer if you ever 'bump' something.

I'm just finishing the paint on the billet Cobra R intake plaque. I'll get you a few pictures today-it came out great.

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

Bullitt54

5.4 Anti-Venom
Established Member
What did you do about the oil drainbacks from the heads? I assume you had to plug them where they come thru the pan rails and redrill on the inside?

I would like to build a FordGT block for wet sump and was trying to figure out what mods I would have to make.

VENM

One of the Fab 5 Fords
Established Member
Congrats Bruce :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Now let's get the baby home where it belongs :burnout:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Why did you go dry sump?

Tom

Tom:

The FGT motor is a dry sump set-up from the factory. I'd rather carry the oil on the lightest corner of the car as opposed to the front end.

that is one hell of a project. i never dreamed it would be that intense.:beer:well earned!

what were the power numbers on the old set up?

Old motor ended up 409 RWHP. Not nearly enough for the crowd I hang around with! ;-):poke:

There is a little better distribution of the weight also, with that oil can in the back. About 5 gals. of oil?

Bruce,

VERY COOL, by the way.

I put 17 quarts in and it's a tad over filled. I think 14 or 15 quarts would be perfect. BTW it's a 3 gallon oil tank.

Bruce,
When are we going to see the top view of that engine? I noticed your oil filter is behind the bumper cover. When I had the MM k-member installed I had to relocate mine, but I decided to mount it in the open spot where the battery used to be.

I can get a top view shot tonight. It hasn't changed much from the original.

It's much easier to service not to mention a safer if you ever 'bump' something.

This will be plenty easy to service. I haven't 'bumped' anything yet. Don't have any plans to either! :p

I'm just finishing the paint on the billet Cobra R intake plaque. I'll get you a few pictures today-it came out great.

I need one bad. Two front corners are busted off mine already!! :cryying:

What did you do about the oil drainbacks from the heads? I assume you had to plug them where they come thru the pan rails and redrill on the inside?

The drainbacks are internally machined to drain into the dry sump pan.

Congrats Bruce :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Now let's get the baby home where it belongs :burnout:

I hope to be breaking it in at Gingy this weekend! :pepper:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
This weekend:??:

Nice to see you finally got it together!!!:rockon: Can't wait to see what it puts out on the dyno:thumbsup:

I'll be there instructing with the Windy City BMW Club.

you mean bump drafting those vettes do not count???:poke:

There's hardly ANY impact involved in a bump draft! :idea:;-)

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Bruce,
Here are a couple of pictures of the intake plaques.

Which one's mine!? ;-)

I see, I'd come visit but there are a couple race cars I need to attend to on the other side of the state this weekend:lol1::(

We ALL have priorities!

forgive me for my ignorance...whats the difference between bump drafting and rubbin?:shrug:

See below.

Bump drafting uses the bumpers and rubbin uses the doors, fenders and tires/wheels:banana::pepper::-D
:-D

Users who are viewing this thread