Ford Factory Paint??

ra03svtcobra

IT'LL TERMINATE YA!!
Established Member
Does anyone have any idea what brand paint Ford uses from the factory? I have an 03' Mineral Gray Cobra and I am looking at having it repainted the same color. I just want some of the small nicks and scratches removed and I want the paint to look comparable again to went it was sitting on the dealer lot (if it ever made it there). Also, if anyone knows a good auto painter close by I'm in Elmira, NY. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know prices to have it painted will vary widely, so I won't bother asking. Thanks

skratpiece

Established Member
I was told by a Ford Dealership that repainted my front bumper that Ford uses Dupont from the factory. He even badmouthed it himself. I wouldn't opt for Dupont. The Dupont junk they put on my car peeled around the wheelwells in less than a year. I have also had Glasurit which was excellent and another product beginning with and S used on my car which has been the best so far.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Just shop around and find out who locally is painting the high end cars in your area.

BMW, Porsche, Audi, Volvo, Mercedes, etc.

You can tell by looking at what cars are in the parking and holding lots.
Then look at some cars that were just done and talk to the shop manager.

Glasurit is one of the best paints on the market, if the shop is using it chances are they are an excellent shop.

Glasurit
Here is the North America locator--> https://www.basfrefinish.com/cgi-bi...mkmhcefecgefdgjhdfmo.0&action=BodyShopLocator

I wouldn't worry too much about using factory in order to get a good match.
The match on my Mystichrome repair is perfect and it's not Dupont.

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
There are 8 different shades of MG, ask me how I know. BTW, Deltron by PPG is one of best the paints out there right now.

jliddle

Established Member
+1 to what Jimmy said on the Glasurit. Its very rare that a shop uses it tho.

I was trained on Sherwin Williams in college. Then worked with PPG Deltron at my last job. Now Im at a shop where we use Standox.

I like PPG and Standox the best. As far as matching your factory color/texture, thats all in the painters hands. Not the brand of paint.

Satyr

Established Member
Dupont was the factory paint type.
For a repaint, I would definitely go PPG or Glasurit.

As Jimmy said, there's no need in going with the same brand just to get the same color. I have had a few things repainted with PPG paint and it has all matched perfectly. This was with ZY and RF cobras.

jliddle

Established Member
Hues can be off regardless of the brand.

PPG,Standox,Glasurit,Sherwin etc all use a "mixing bank". Basically a HUGE shelf of toners that the painter has to use to actually make your color. Some colors have alot of variants ( dark/light face, darker/lighter flop, more blue, more yellow, coarse, fine... the list goes on.)

The color match is WAY more dependent on whether the color was mixed exactly like the formula states. Then factor in PSI of the spray gun, spray techniques etc.

Satyr

Established Member
Hues can be off regardless of the brand.

PPG,Standox,Glasurit,Sherwin etc all use a "mixing bank". Basically a HUGE shelf of toners that the painter has to use to actually make your color. Some colors have alot of variants ( dark/light face, darker/lighter flop, more blue, more yellow, coarse, fine... the list goes on.)

The color match is WAY more dependent on whether the color was mixed exactly like the formula states. Then factor in PSI of the spray gun, spray techniques etc.

Yeah, from what I have heard, this is what makes light colors like white and mineral grey difficult to match.

ra03svtcobra

IT'LL TERMINATE YA!!
Established Member
I have a few areas on my car I hope can be repaired. The trunk lid has a broken edge on the passenger side near the spoiler.

03Cobra099.jpg

The rear bumper has some marks in it.

03Cobra096.jpg

03Cobra097.jpg

And the front bumper as well

03Cobra094.jpg

03Cobra093.jpg

And lastly, the is some small dents in front of the passenger rear tire

03Cobra104.jpg

Can all this stuff be repaired? My main concern seems to be with the trunk lid because it's on the edge. This all happened before I took custody of the car. Now I want to get it all fixed. It was one of my goals (first one was the Whipple and that's complete).

Last edited:

termin80r

Established Member
the best paint ive ever used is R-M its a great product. ive sprayed everything nason, sikkens, dupont, ppg, R-M. Dupont is honestly my last option when it come to buying paint. what ever brand you use, remember to stay within the brand with all youre coatings.

Users who are viewing this thread