Ford EV Frustration

Do you like how Ford is forcing dealers to advertise EVs at MSRP?

• Yes

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • No

Votes: 21 70.0%
  • Ford should limit to advertising at or BELOW MSRP

Votes: 8 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
In Michigan, if you advertise a price, that is the price. I got lucky with the GT350 because the web guy puts all of the cars on the site at MSRP. I printed it off and they honored it even though the sticker in the window had a $5k ADM.
As much as it sucks, I say let the dealers get whatever they can get. If someone is willing to pay over MSRP why shouldn't the dealer reap the reward. If any of us were selling our house and a bidding war started, who would turn down the extra cash to sell to the first buyer that offered our asking price?

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Hate when any company advertises a call for pricing and when you inquire about the price without wanting to waste your time they try to lure you into the place of business to get the actual price. That is an INSTANT hang up on a phone call.

Is there any way that Ford would advertise the MSRP and hold the dealer to that MSRP price?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hate when any company advertises a call for pricing and when you inquire about the price without wanting to waste your time they try to lure you into the place of business to get the actual price. That is an INSTANT hang up on a phone call.

Is there any way that Ford would advertise the MSRP and hold the dealer to that MSRP price?

I wish we sold everything at MSRP, but that's not the case lol

But no, manufacturers cannot dictate selling prices for their dealer's to sell to consumers.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
I wish we sold everything at MSRP, but that's not the case lol

But no, manufacturers cannot dictate selling prices for their dealer's to sell to consumers.
Is there any way to advertise your price for the Ford required MSRP listing elsewhere in an ad or online?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Is there any way to advertise your price for the Ford required MSRP listing elsewhere in an ad or online?

Well, yes and no. As far as price....no.

We're getting creative though. We'll see if it warrants a slap on the wrist or not. I'm giving away a $4,000 charge card that will be given to EV buyers to cover their first year or two of charging costs. That goes live today.

sleek98

Established Member
Its like MAP pricing on performance parts, you cant show the supercharger for less than 6,999 but when you add to cart it drops to 5,348.

Not an easy way for you to add that option on cars though.

Are they not letting you discount the mach-e when you sell it, or is the rule only advertising a different price than MSRP?

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
gotta remember whose product your selling.. personally i think advertising should include a price, MSRP is a good start.

I also believe you should be able to factory order vehicles at whatever pricing the manufacturer is setting at the time.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Its like MAP pricing on performance parts, you cant show the supercharger for less than 6,999 but when you add to cart it drops to 5,348.

Not an easy way for you to add that option on cars though.

Are they not letting you discount the mach-e when you sell it, or is the rule only advertising a different price than MSRP?

Yeah, similar for sure.

You can sell it for as much or little as you want...just can't advertise that. Advertising has to be at MSRP sales price, period.

gotta remember whose product your selling.. personally i think advertising should include a price, MSRP is a good start.

I also believe you should be able to factory order vehicles at whatever pricing the manufacturer is setting at the time.

I remember whose product I'm selling...I also remember I've already paid for the product before it gets delivered to my store... so essentially I'm selling my product.

Also, you can factory order vehicles at whatever pricing the manufacturer is setting at that time. If you order on Jan 10th and the MSRP is $55,000 and there's a $5,000 rebate.... when it comes in on May 30th, you either pay the $50,000, or if the rebates are better when it shows up, you get the benefit of that.

I had Super Duty customers last year that were price protected by $10,000 or so from the beginning of the model year until the end when it showed up.

02reaper

Established Member
Franchise laws.....I don't like that model. You should have to advertise what you are selling the vehicle for.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Franchise laws.....I don't like that model. You should have to advertise what you are selling the vehicle for.

You don't like the Franchise Laws...or you don't like manufacturers dictating what you can advertise for, yet it not necessarily being the actual transaction amount?

02reaper

Established Member
You don't like the Franchise Laws...or you don't like manufacturers dictating what you can advertise for, yet it not necessarily being the actual transaction amount?
I don't like either one. I feel that if Ford wants to sell direct, then they should be able to sell direct. Do dealers own the vehicles on the lot that come from the manufacturer? If so then the dealer should be able to sell the vehicle for whatever they want, but they should have to advertise the true price. If the dealer doesn't own the vehicles, then I think whoever owns them should be able to dictate what they are sold for. In the end, markups hurt the manufacturer, especially when they are looking to gain profit in volume. I think that's probably the reason that Ford raised the prices on the EV's, because dealers were the real ones profiting from the markups.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Either Ford needs to force dealers to sell at MSRP or lose allocations or let them advertise the price they wants (+/- MSRP)

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I don't like either one. I feel that if Ford wants to sell direct, then they should be able to sell direct. Do dealers own the vehicles on the lot that come from the manufacturer? If so then the dealer should be able to sell the vehicle for whatever they want, but they should have to advertise the true price. If the dealer doesn't own the vehicles, then I think whoever owns them should be able to dictate what they are sold for. In the end, markups hurt the manufacturer, especially when they are looking to gain profit in volume. I think that's probably the reason that Ford raised the prices on the EV's, because dealers were the real ones profiting from the markups.

Ford tried to sell direct at three different points back in the late 90s, quickly folded all three stores and dipped out of retail. They were used to a MUCH higher profit margin than what dealerships live off of. The vast majority of states now have Franchise Laws in place that don't allow auto manufacturers to sell direct. In fact, Tesla has started lobbying WITH the state automobile associations in favor of this as well, stating that it is a better model for selling vehicles.

Dealers own the vehicles before the vehicle hits the lot. We own ours in cash, some own theirs via floorplans (loans) and pay high interest rates on the vehicles.

Markups don't hurt manufacturers in the form of profit. Before the vehicle is delivered, the manufacturer is paid and gets their profit then. It may hurt them in the form of sales volume as far as leadership goes in specific segments. Most dealers are good entrepreneurs and understand how demand/supply works, so it doesn't have a huge negative affect on the sales volume. No one was selling Ecosports at $10,000 over MSRP at any point, because the supply was always higher than the demand. Yet, specialty vehicles or vehicles with a high demand and low supply, did see an increase in sales prices the last few years and will continue to. Just the law of economics.

Ford raised the prices on EVs because the cost of mining the minerals and production costs increased dramatically when every other manufacturer was fighting for the same resources. Ford has since lowered prices some and our essentially cutting into their margin in order to get more EV sales and have a higher segment penetration rate. They're hedging that EVs will dominate the market in the future, and they want to have the brand imagery in place before then to be known as one of the best in the segment, it's cheaper to 'buy in' now and lose money than it would be to buy in later and try to gain a ton of market share and brand image when other manufacturers have been in the game longer.

Yes, dealer's profited from markups. They're the only ones that profited from markups as far as the original sale. However, I can't tell you the number of second hand buyers that were profiting from it as well. When new vehicle prices increase to the point they did, pre-owned vehicles did as well. The number of people that traded with me in the last few years and received a trade allowance equal or higher than the original purchase price is astronomical; even being a few years old with 25k miles on them. Those individuals profited as well. When the new car market slows, prices creep down, used prices creep down as well. When that happens, sure you pay less for a new one, but your trade in isn't worth as much either. That's why I STRONGLY suggest always focusing on the difference, not the sales price or the trade allowance. If you pay $25k over MSRP for something, but that dealer takes you trade in at $30k over market value, you're winning.

Either Ford needs to force dealers to sell at MSRP or lose allocations or let them advertise the price they wants (+/- MSRP)

Manufacturers can't force dealers to sell at a certain price, it violates the franchise agreement.

02reaper

Established Member
Ford tried to sell direct at three different points back in the late 90s, quickly folded all three stores and dipped out of retail. They were used to a MUCH higher profit margin than what dealerships live off of. The vast majority of states now have Franchise Laws in place that don't allow auto manufacturers to sell direct. In fact, Tesla has started lobbying WITH the state automobile associations in favor of this as well, stating that it is a better model for selling vehicles.

Dealers own the vehicles before the vehicle hits the lot. We own ours in cash, some own theirs via floorplans (loans) and pay high interest rates on the vehicles.

Markups don't hurt manufacturers in the form of profit. Before the vehicle is delivered, the manufacturer is paid and gets their profit then. It may hurt them in the form of sales volume as far as leadership goes in specific segments. Most dealers are good entrepreneurs and understand how demand/supply works, so it doesn't have a huge negative affect on the sales volume. No one was selling Ecosports at $10,000 over MSRP at any point, because the supply was always higher than the demand. Yet, specialty vehicles or vehicles with a high demand and low supply, did see an increase in sales prices the last few years and will continue to. Just the law of economics.

Ford raised the prices on EVs because the cost of mining the minerals and production costs increased dramatically when every other manufacturer was fighting for the same resources. Ford has since lowered prices some and our essentially cutting into their margin in order to get more EV sales and have a higher segment penetration rate. They're hedging that EVs will dominate the market in the future, and they want to have the brand imagery in place before then to be known as one of the best in the segment, it's cheaper to 'buy in' now and lose money than it would be to buy in later and try to gain a ton of market share and brand image when other manufacturers have been in the game longer.

Yes, dealer's profited from markups. They're the only ones that profited from markups as far as the original sale. However, I can't tell you the number of second hand buyers that were profiting from it as well. When new vehicle prices increase to the point they did, pre-owned vehicles did as well. The number of people that traded with me in the last few years and received a trade allowance equal or higher than the original purchase price is astronomical; even being a few years old with 25k miles on them. Those individuals profited as well. When the new car market slows, prices creep down, used prices creep down as well. When that happens, sure you pay less for a new one, but your trade in isn't worth as much either. That's why I STRONGLY suggest always focusing on the difference, not the sales price or the trade allowance. If you pay $25k over MSRP for something, but that dealer takes you trade in at $30k over market value, you're winning.

Manufacturers can't force dealers to sell at a certain price, it violates the franchise agreement.
Seems like Ford is wanting to follow in the footsteps of Tesla and Rivian for their EV sales....I guess the question is why? How is that better or worse for them as a manufacturer?

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Ford and all the other OEM's are wrestling with how to solve EV inventory with all the bans, restrictions and EPA stupidity. It is going to be a blood bath in flyover country when it becomes apparent that natural EV demand level is probably going to be 15 to 20 percent of current light vehicle sales. Dealers are keenly aware of this and are basically praying sanity returns in time to prevent the apocalypse. If the Feds mandate crushing ICE older than XX years old on a rolling basis, chaos.

Tesla has never been through a true over supply situation, be interesting to see 200,000 Tesla parked in the TX sun because no one wants them.

Everyone see's the wall coming and the Green Insanity just rolls on.

Users who are viewing this thread