Ford EV Frustration

Do you like how Ford is forcing dealers to advertise EVs at MSRP?

• Yes

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • No

Votes: 21 70.0%
  • Ford should limit to advertising at or BELOW MSRP

Votes: 8 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Seems like Ford is wanting to follow in the footsteps of Tesla and Rivian for their EV sales....I guess the question is why? How is that better or worse for them as a manufacturer?

In my personal opinion... I think this rule came out in the middle of the pandemic while dealers were marking everything up, because there were shortages. It was Ford's way of making it the dealer's issue to explain to customers why they are charging XXX over MSRP. Now, that dealers aren't charging near as much, it's hindering us from moving product.

Ford and all the other OEM's are wrestling with how to solve EV inventory with all the bans, restrictions and EPA stupidity. It is going to be a blood bath in flyover country when it becomes apparent that natural EV demand level is probably going to be 15 to 20 percent of current light vehicle sales. Dealers are keenly aware of this and are basically praying sanity returns in time to prevent the apocalypse. If the Feds mandate crushing ICE older than XX years old on a rolling basis, chaos.

Tesla has never been through a true over supply situation, be interesting to see 200,000 Tesla parked in the TX sun because no one wants them.

Everyone see's the wall coming and the Green Insanity just rolls on.

I can't even fathom 15-20% adoption in the Midwest. Doesn't make sense.

All EVs are starting to be in the oversupply situation now. Auction prices have PLUMMETED on them, I have never seen so many no-sells in my life (no-sell = when bidding is over, and the vehicle doesn't meet the reserve amount set by seller).

02reaper

Established Member
In my personal opinion... I think this rule came out in the middle of the pandemic while dealers were marking everything up, because there were shortages. It was Ford's way of making it the dealer's issue to explain to customers why they are charging XXX over MSRP. Now, that dealers aren't charging near as much, it's hindering us from moving product.

I can't even fathom 15-20% adoption in the Midwest. Doesn't make sense.

All EVs are starting to be in the oversupply situation now. Auction prices have PLUMMETED on them, I have never seen so many no-sells in my life (no-sell = when bidding is over, and the vehicle doesn't meet the reserve amount set by seller).
On the other forums and such it seems like a lot of reservation holders were pissed with the markups, price increases, wait times of the whole f150 lightning EV rollout. Essentially a lot reservation holders and non reservation holders just gave up and said screw it one way or another.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
On the other forums and such it seems like a lot of reservation holders were pissed with the markups, price increases, wait times of the whole f150 lightning EV rollout. Essentially a lot reservation holders and non reservation holders just gave up and said screw it one way or another.

Totally get it. If they were being charged more than what it was when they ordered, they were working with dirt bags. The wait was/is brutal.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
This coupled with the fact that the "Truck" is completely ****ing useless.....

Im shocked the sales are what they are...

02reaper

Established Member
Totally get it. If they were being charged more than what it was when they ordered, they were working with dirt bags. The wait was/is brutal.
Back to your question though.... I say stop playing games. If your going to advertise a price, sell at that price. Nobody wants to spend hours of time going back and forth about it. Not a salesperson, and not a buyer.

02reaper

Established Member
This coupled with the fact that the "Truck" is completely ****ing useless.....

Im shocked the sales are what they are...
Wasn't you all in on wanting one a while back? I have 10K useless miles on mine so far.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
I'm going to assume here but as a dealer, you can look up and know exactly what you will pay for a vehicle from Ford? I think the dealer's customers should have the same experience.

Maybe I'm oversimplifying it though.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm going to assume here but as a dealer, you can look up and know exactly what you will pay for a vehicle from Ford? I think the dealer's customers should have the same experience.

Maybe I'm oversimplifying it though.

Sure. Just like any industry. Ford is basically our supplier. So we know what our supplier will charge us based on what we order, or get sent.

I agree 100%. I think online advertising should show what the customer will pay. Obviously there are a few things that will be variable an unable to be 100% transparent online with. For example if you qualify for a private offer rebate, obviously that can't be in the general online price. Or tax/titling/licensing...it varies area to area, and even in the same town it can vary by address. But I'd say for the most part, the online price should be what 95% of the public will pay for it.

Tezz500

Established Member
Wasn't you all in on wanting one a while back? I have 10K useless miles on mine so far.
Apparently you missed the analysis.

Upon further review….

I’ve been crunching the numbers recently as my order is supposed to be here end of the summer, beginning of fall….

The conclusion?

1. It doesn’t make any sense to buy this truck if you want a truck to do truck things…

2. It doesn’t make any sense to buy this truck if you’re thinking it’ll save the environment. It won’t. In fact, it’s worse on so many levels.

3. Battery replacement costs are ASTRONOMICAL. You’re not going to get anywhere near the same type of longevity as you would from an ICE engine.

4. You’ll NEVER recoup the money from buying a $75,000 EV truck at the fuel pump. NEVER.

5. As a Lightning enthusiast who owned a Lightning for some 16 years, I can truly say it’s an all around disappointment to the Name.

Instead, I’ve decided to keep my paid off 2017 Focus 1L 3cyl Ecoboost for commuting and I bought a 2022 F150 5.0 4x4 for 50k. (Thanks Nick.)

The focus gets over 40mpg and the truck has a 36gal fuel tank and all the capabilities of a 4x4 off-road vehicle.

9f2f309e1079a155b28642a3d21bcb6a.jpg

7a3c91df8eaf02067a7be62b676734e4.jpg

Buying an Electric F-150 for $75,000 that can’t tow 5000lbs even 100miles makes zero sense.

I'm about to Drive 1900 miles towing my Shelby with my 5.0L F150.

Your truck can't make it 80 miles towing something without needing to charge, which takes 30-40 minutes to get to 80% not even 100%.

Yes, as a Truck, Its worthless. Thankfully I did my research before jumping off the cliff.

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
Ford tried to sell direct at three different points back in the late 90s, quickly folded all three stores and dipped out of retail. They were used to a MUCH higher profit margin than what dealerships live off of. The vast majority of states now have Franchise Laws in place that don't allow auto manufacturers to sell direct. In fact, Tesla has started lobbying WITH the state automobile associations in favor of this as well, stating that it is a better model for selling vehicles.
They don't need stores. They need to sell online directly to the public for MRSP or sale price. No one wants to go to a store anymore to buy anything - the 90s are long gone. Go on your phone, make the purchase, delivered to your house. Dealerships can still be stealerships, some people will not want to wait for a delivery, some people will want to ring a bell or something dumb which is fine. What this will do is keep everyone honest with pricing. Look at the Apple Store. When the new iPhone comes out I can wait in line there or get one a week later delivered to my house. Notice Apple Store don't gouge people that wait in line? Last I checked Apple doing pretty good - much better than Ford is doing.

02reaper

Established Member
Apparently you missed the analysis.

I'm about to Drive 1900 miles towing my Shelby with my 5.0L F150.

Your truck can't make it 80 miles towing something without needing to charge, which takes 30-40 minutes to get to 80% not even 100%.

Yes, as a Truck, Its worthless. Thankfully I did my research before jumping off the cliff.
Mine must be magical then. I routinely pull a 275 gallon full tote on a trailer in excess of 100 miles. Sure, it can't go the distance without charging like my ecoboost could, but it held 36 gallons of gasoline too. Its not all as bad as your making it out to be. Its like you fell in love with something and then figured out it wasn't your exact fit and now you have massive hatred for it. Lighten up. Gasoline and/or diesel ain't going away anytime soon. They all have their place still. Its not much different than when I was 16 and had a s10 with a 20 gallon tank that got me around 300 miles to a tank.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Mine must be magical then. I routinely pull a 275 gallon full tote on a trailer in excess of 100 miles. Sure, it can't go the distance without charging like my ecoboost could, but it held 36 gallons of gasoline too. Its not all as bad as your making it out to be. Its like you fell in love with something and then figured out it wasn't your exact fit and now you have massive hatred for it. Lighten up. Gasoline and/or diesel ain't going away anytime soon. They all have their place still. Its not much different than when I was 16 and had a s10 with a 20 gallon tank that got me around 300 miles to a tank.

That fuel tote won't weigh over 2000lbs.... Most SUVs will pull that just fine.

I think EV trucks are the dumbest thing since Pontiac announced the Aztek. EV cars make a lot more sense than a truck, and even then, it's hard to pencil out how it makes more sense than a gasoline vehicle.

02reaper

Established Member
That fuel tote won't weigh over 2000lbs.... Most SUVs will pull that just fine.

I think EV trucks are the dumbest thing since Pontiac announced the Aztek. EV cars make a lot more sense than a truck, and even then, it's hard to pencil out how it makes more sense than a gasoline vehicle.

Well like me, I'm sure most people who bought or buy these trucks could care less about efficiency or saving the planet. I needed it about as much as most on here need their performance vehicle of choice. Here we are though.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Electric vehicles are limited to commuter cars. Some people make them work for road trips, but the vast majority of people don't want to wait 30 minutes to an hour to recharge. And then when they get to Grandma's house, how do they charge up for the trip home? Certainly not on a typical 110 home outlet.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Well like me, I'm sure most people who bought or buy these trucks could care less about efficiency or saving the planet. I needed it about as much as most on here need their performance vehicle of choice. Here we are though.

What was your reasoning to buy one?

Tezz500

Established Member

Did you seriously compare a 275 fuel tote to trailering a 4000lbs car on a 1000+lbs trailer??

Do the math on how long it would take you to tow a 2020 GT500 1900miles. How many stops, for a 1900 mile trip. You’ll be going over the mountains in this one. Good luck. See you in 2024.

Users who are viewing this thread