Ford EV Frustration

Do you like how Ford is forcing dealers to advertise EVs at MSRP?

• Yes

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • No

Votes: 21 70.0%
  • Ford should limit to advertising at or BELOW MSRP

Votes: 8 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
local dealer had 40 lightnings sold to a fleet account, Ford could not build them for that MY, they did NOT get the price protection and the cost went up significantly when they had to convert the order to the next MY.. maybe thats just an EV thing, i dunno.. I ordered my 23 transit last July and still hasn't been built.. $65k MSRP for a loaded work van.. every couple of months i get an email from Ford, "yea we're sorry, covid and supply chain issues, blah blah blah" It's literally a joke now when i get the emails.
Ordered a ‘23 Edge ST Line for the wife on January 27 of this year.

Got the same apology excuse emails every couple of weeks.

Then suddenly last week got a VIN, and a build week of June 26, so hopefully delivery by the end of July.

6 months, for a simple Edge…..

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
25-35k is currently for the whole battery. They have arrays that can be replaced individually unlike tesla which would be the whole pack. I've seen some replaced already, but I don't recall seeing a whole pack having to be replaced yet. Sure there will be some degradation, but how often have you worried or had a cell phone battery completely quit?

It doesn’t take long for a cell phone battery to degrade to the point where it’s only holding 80% charge.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
For the same reason people repair old vehicles and everything else. In the case of a whole battery going out, I'm sure the vehicle would be junkyard bound, but that's currently not an issue with the batteries Ford is using.
"I am going to repair my 10 year old refrigerator"

- No one

IMO electric cars will be old appliances, not old vehicles.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
The big thing that scares me about EVs are the value 6ish years down the road or 80k miles.

With 8yr/100k battery warranties...when they reach the end of that or close...what's a vehicle worth that needs a $25-35k battery? Probably totaled.
Very much like an iPhone. The hardware/software outlasts the battery. When the battery no longer holds a charge, people end up replacing the entire phone vs just the battery making the phone worthless to anyone else.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
The big thing that scares me about EVs are the value 6ish years down the road or 80k miles.

With 8yr/100k battery warranties...when they reach the end of that or close...what's a vehicle worth that needs a $25-35k battery? Probably totaled.

This is where the poor take it in the ass. There is no bubble gum fixing these cars, the software won't allow it. Old ICE will be in huge demand and shrinking in supply, if the Feds don't mandate crushing.

Fat Boss

Established Member
@13COBRA what's your opinion in the long term with respect to MSRP pricing? If you disregarded the past 3 years or so, did you used to sell more vehicles under or over MSRP? Would you make more money over the next 20 years (after the current shit show) selling everything at MSRP, or what the market decides? Seems like you'd make more money selling everything at MSRP.

02reaper

Established Member
It doesn’t take long for a cell phone battery to degrade to the point where it’s only holding 80% charge.
I'm still sporting an ipone xs with 83% battery health. I treat it like shit too. Ill upgrade when it no longer works.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
This is where the poor take it in the ass. There is no bubble gum fixing these cars, the software won't allow it. Old ICE will be in huge demand and shrinking in supply, if the Feds don't mandate crushing.

If they mandate crushing, I imagine many people will not comply.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
@13COBRA what's your opinion in the long term with respect to MSRP pricing? If you disregarded the past 3 years or so, did you used to sell more vehicles under or over MSRP? Would you make more money over the next 20 years (after the current shit show) selling everything at MSRP, or what the market decides? Seems like you'd make more money selling everything at MSRP.

I would make SIGNIFICANTLY more if I sold everything at MSRP compared to the thousands back of MSRP pre-Covid. When I say significantly...I mean like 4-5x's. I'd sell my Viper racecar and buy a McLaren 720s GT3-X.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Very much like an iPhone. The hardware/software outlasts the battery. When the battery no longer holds a charge, people end up replacing the entire phone vs just the battery making the phone worthless to anyone else.
Reminds of buying a whole new cordless tool with a battery vs just the battery. It's sometimes cheaper or darn close.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
How? Going door to door knocking? Even if I couldn't get insurance, I'm not sending it to the crusher.

It’s simple.

You’ll be pulled over.
You’ll be ticketed.
If you don’t pay the fine,
A warrant will be put out for your arrest.
If you resist said arrest,
You’ll be shot.

Works if you don’t drive it too. You’ll get a summons to remove said vehicle from your property. Same chain of events after that.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
It’s simple.

You’ll be pulled over.
You’ll be ticketed.
If you don’t pay the fine,
A warrant will be put out for your arrest.
If you resist said arrest,
You’ll be shot.

Works if you don’t drive it too. You’ll get a summons to remove said vehicle from your property. Same chain of events after that.

I needed a good laugh. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread