For all of you looking at blowers or forged internals......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
no.
the prochargers and other centri blowers whine at idle.
they are quiet at speed.

the eaton is the other way around.

cobra29

Established Member
Holly God; those are some of the best info I ever read. Quadcammer, when I am ready to do some internal work, I'll be sure trying to contact you. Keep up the good work.

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
quadcammer said:
do you mean sitting like sitting at a light, or like sitting as in the car being turned off?

might be a valve seal or pcv issue or possibly a bad ring.

hey quad... I figured out why my car is smoking like it does...

with the rebuild my oil rings arent very tight on cold startup to compensate for how much more a forged piston expands. Well letting my car idle when I crank it up and warm up for 10 minutes or so allows some cylinder pressure to suck up a little oil past the rings(when I say a little maybe 1/4 teaspoon, after all it does smoke that bad). When its go time and I pull out it burns that small amoutn of oil ans smokes for a second or two. By then the car is warm and the pistons and rings are sealing properly.

Quadcammer

Established Member
VenomousSVT said:
hey quad... I figured out why my car is smoking like it does...

with the rebuild my oil rings arent very tight on cold startup to compensate for how much more a forged piston expands. Well letting my car idle when I crank it up and warm up for 10 minutes or so allows some cylinder pressure to suck up a little oil past the rings(when I say a little maybe 1/4 teaspoon, after all it does smoke that bad). When its go time and I pull out it burns that small amoutn of oil ans smokes for a second or two. By then the car is warm and the pistons and rings are sealing properly.
that makes sense.
my car doesn't really puff any smoke but it does tend to burn a bit more oil than a stocker. as long as it doesn't become more excessive, I wouldn't worry about it. :thumbsup:

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
quadcammer said:
that makes sense.
my car doesn't really puff any smoke but it does tend to burn a bit more oil than a stocker. as long as it doesn't become more excessive, I wouldn't worry about it. :thumbsup:
cool deal :beer:
just wanted to let you know what we come up with in case your ever hit with this problem as well.

HeXX 1

Established Member
excellent write up. looks like you've done lots of research/got lots of experience.

Thank you very much for the info as I am currently trying to decide what rotating assembly to go with :)

Quadcammer

Established Member
your welcome.
it all depends on what you are looking for in terms of driveability, streetability, power, and powerband.

BlueStripe

Bad Ass with Class
Established Member
What's the deal with Billet Aluminum not being good for a street car? I've never heard that before.

Quadcammer

Established Member
whats that?

you mean aluminum rods? they like to heat up and expand quite a bit, so you need a shorter rod, with holes in the bearings for nubs to prevent the bearing from moving when the rod heats up. bottom line, if you need a light rod, go with a forged I beam.

BlueStripe

Bad Ass with Class
Established Member
quadcammer said:
whats that?

you mean aluminum rods? they like to heat up and expand quite a bit, so you need a shorter rod, with holes in the bearings for nubs to prevent the bearing from moving when the rod heats up. bottom line, if you need a light rod, go with a forged I beam.

What about the crank and pistons?

--Doug

quadcammer said:
99-01 Mustang Cobra FAQ……Supercharging

Q. What supercharger kits are available for my 99/01 Cobra?
etc.

quadcammer, thanks for taking the time to answer a lot of questions.
Here's another: does the 2001 Cobra hood need to be modified to accomodate the Eaton add-ons you have described?

no cigar

I want a $944 camera!
Established Member
I was wondeirng about align honing and if it is really required. Also I'm not too briefed up on decking the block. As far as I can tell, it's just shaving the surface/decks to get them straight and ensure a good seal when you mate up the head? But since you are in effect lowering the head, you decrease the area of combustion, thereby raising the compression ratio? Is there any specific amount a block should be decked?

Quadcammer

Established Member
decking ensures a flat surface with the correct RA for the head gasket. you are removing very little material, but yes, compression is negligibly affected. Align honing is necessary if any of the mains are out, and is good practice in any case.

i don't know how much a block should be decked.

no cigar

I want a $944 camera!
Established Member
I keep getting answers like, "do you mean align boring?" from the machine shops. I think they have no experience with these blocks. Most of them don't even have the torque plates for the block.

So far I've gotten quotes of $725 and $650 to
clean/magnaflux/pressure test
bore/hone w. torque plates
deck
align hone

4vBlewDevil

HOW MUCH BOOST??
Established Member
anyone else think this is a good idea ~~~~~> compiling info on the top 8 roots and centrafugal superchargers and what exactly is needed to make the setup work well to make max boost for 1.stock setup 2.forged setup safely for a daily driver. i think that would help ease the supercharger question clones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread