For all of you looking at blowers or forged internals......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member
quadcammer:

This is a 2 part question, sorry if you have answered this before but:

1. if i rebuild with forged internals set up for a blower to be added later, is it safe/ok if the blower might not be put on the car for awhile? should i still be able to drive the car like normal? (i.e. before the rebuild)

2. if i am not adding a blower right away, should i have the car professionally tuned in the meantime(n/a)?

p.s. i have a 97 cobra (you referrenced 99/01's) but i think this applies all the same.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
1. yes its perfectly fine. If you lower compression, you may be down on power a bit, but there is nothing wrong with doing so.

2. Depending on what changes are made. If all you do is lower compression a bit, and leave the rest of the motor stock (ie no headwork or cams), then you should be fine with the stock programming. Once you get into cams and headwork, you'll want to tune it NA, to make sure that its not so rich as to wash the oil off the cyl. walls, and not too lean to damage the pistons.

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member
quadcammer said:
1. yes its perfectly fine. If you lower compression, you may be down on power a bit, but there is nothing wrong with doing so.

2. Depending on what changes are made. If all you do is lower compression a bit, and leave the rest of the motor stock (ie no headwork or cams), then you should be fine with the stock programming. Once you get into cams and headwork, you'll want to tune it NA, to make sure that its not so rich as to wash the oil off the cyl. walls, and not too lean to damage the pistons.

great, thanks.

Are there any engine shops who specialize in mod motors you recommend? I cant seem to find any near where i live (mobile, al).

Quadcammer

Established Member
either VT engines, Boss330 racing or modular performance.

modperf and vt are in michigan, and boss is in florida

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member
quadcammer said:
either VT engines, Boss330 racing or modular performance.

modperf and vt are in michigan, and boss is in florida

Boss330 is the closest and its a 9 hour drive... man that sucks.

pest36

Established Member
any good guys in CT? haven't had any success with any of them so far (with rear ends).
planning on doing this over the summer!!
4340 rods or the series I (1200hp) if i do a D1sc?

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member
pest36 said:
any good guys in CT? haven't had any success with any of them so far (with rear ends).
planning on doing this over the summer!!
4340 rods or the series I (1200hp) if i do a D1sc?

I have contacted VT Engines in MI and they will arrange shipping and everything of your motor. They are good about responding to emails so email them and ask them whatever you want. They use CP or Diamond pistons on non-strokers and manley or eagle rods. the BEST stuff you can buy. you have to pull your own motor and get it on a pallet but thats it. they do everything else.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
whats that?

you mean aluminum rods? they like to heat up and expand quite a bit, so you need a shorter rod, with holes in the bearings for nubs to prevent the bearing from moving when the rod heats up. bottom line, if you need a light rod, go with a forged I beam.

I am looking for a light rod... what's the best place to get forged I beams? I only found billet I beams that are 3 times the price of the H beams.

I'm looking to build a high reving N/A motor

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member

Quadcammer

Established Member
says for 7500rpms, I was hoping to be able to go up to 8000rpms on races... I don't know much about internals, just now trying to figure out what combo to go with. appreciate your help

Those rods should be fine to 8000.

H beam rods should also be fine to about 8000 rpm, but they are heavier.

The billet I beams should absolutely handle 8000rpm, but they are pricey as you noticed.

All of the rods in question should be fine for the occasional jaunt up to 8,000rpm, but if you plan to regularly hit 8000rpm, id probably spring for the billets, but then again, im a paranoid guy.

VenomousSVT, it has been a long time. Hows it going man?

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
i went Hbeams in mine and you could tell they were heavier... i hate to say that but you really could.. I ran my car n/a during break-in and it really felt like it took some real pedal usage to get that bad boy to rev. After the blower it really helped though.

Quad, i have been hear and there brotha. Putting new bearings in the POS AGAIN next week, the car has been sitting under the shed for a year un touched. There for a long time there was only you and I on here with forged bottom ends.

How is you setup holding up since the first build? Have you ever had to go back into it? I only made it 10k miles... someone didnt do something right when they built mine apparently.

9snakebite6

Banned
Sorry for the dumb question quadcammer, But do know where i can find those "big bore" sleeves for the 4.6?? (besides that costly, new setup i looked at) Thanks!:burnout:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread