FMIC options??

USACHMP

Established Member
USACHMP, I am just curious as to what RPM your shifting at? Because with your pulley combination (got it off your other thread), I just wanted to point out that you are probably pushing the impeller to max speed with that YSI and are only seeing 20psi. Correct me if I am wrong, but at max impeller speed you should be somewhere in the 26psi range. I know that boost is only a measurement of resistance so if your motor flows a ton of air it won't be as much. But you have a 2V motor so I would expect you to see more boost than that. I garauntee that you are losing 4-5psi through that intercooler. I have a buddy with around the same HP in his 2V and he was losing 4-5psi through his. He was able to switch to a Treadstone unit and doesn't have to turn his blower so hard anymore to make the same power. May be something you might look into if it matters to you. Just a suggestion. Very impressive numbers by the way!

very interesting. you have a good point. I have always had lower than normal boost numbers in comparison. I have a stroker motor so i know that soaks up a bit of the boost and long tubes and cam but you bring up a good point. i will look into a more effecient intercooler.

HAS

Established Member
Does the plumbing for a front mount cause issues for the fog lights on 94-98 cars? Hate to butcher my junk up to bad.

USACHMP

Established Member
you may have to trim some inner housing stuff. Depends on how big the piping is. I had mine for awhile with 3inch piping and it wasnt an issue

JP_Stang

Established Member
It really depends on what you do with your front bumper support. Since my air enters the bottom of the intercooler and exits the top, I wsn't able to reinstall my bumper support. So now I have no way of putting my foglights back in. In the future I will probably fab up some brackets so that I can use them again. I hate not having foglights, especially since the front bumper has the holes specifically for them. When I do fab up some brackets I will remember to post pictures of how I do it so that others can use the design. If you can figure out a way to keep most of your bumper support I don't see why you couldn't keep the foglights. May just have to trim up the brackets a little to leave clearance for the piping.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
you no i was wondering that myself, if I could do something like that. Where would I run the BOV right after the blower?

Yeah mine is welded on the piping right after the discharge on the head unit:rockon:
svtcobra462.jpg

JP_Stang

Established Member
you no i was wondering that myself, if I could do something like that. Where would I run the BOV right after the blower?

Yeah, if you wanted to do it that way you would just need to mount the BOV inbetween the blower and aftercooler. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Also, can't you run a Killer Chiller with an aftercooler? I don't know much about them but I saw a video of a guy who had one that lived in Florida. It was around 105* outside that day and his IAT's were in the 60* range while he was driving around. I was pretty impressed by it. I believe it uses the A/C somehow? I don't know how safe or reliable they are, I am just thinking out loud.

crazycarlo

Established Member
Killer Chillers are very reliable. There are a TON of 03 guys using them. And they are proven effective. With the aftercooler Im pretty sure you can run one and since the actual cooler isnt in the lower manifold it would prob work even better.

96snake719

Established Member
Alright guys I finally decided Im just gonna go with the treadstone, do I want opposite or same side end tanks? and should i just get a flange to weld on for my MAF or should I get one of VMPs housings? and as far as the pipe connecting to the throttle body will a vortech work ok or should I custom rig that to lol. I no I dont have a lot of space to work with and I want to be sure I get the MAF in the correct spot so my tuning goes over smoothly sorry guys lots of questions just wanna be sure before I order everything thanks.

blownstang4.6

Established Member
31x12x3 cxracing intercooler will loose 2-3psi, but cools the air very well. Usually temps stay at 10-15 degrees above ambient. The 31x12x4 cxracing cooler is less restrictive and will have less psi drop. The Treadstone intercoolers are very good. Try to look for a used Procharger 3 core standard or race intercooler. I bought a 31x12x3 cxracing intercooler but found a used Procharger 3 core intercooler for $200 shipped so I jumped on it. The Procharger intercooler only looses about 1 psi of boost at lower psi levels. My old tuner recently tuned a car with the 31x12x3 cxracing intercooler and a YSI. Before the intercooler the setup was seeing 26psi and after the intercooler 19psi, but at that psi level iats did not increase more than 30 degrees. For 650rwhp and Treadstone or Procharger vertical core will be your best bet.

blownstang4.6

Established Member
Alright guys I finally decided Im just gonna go with the treadstone, do I want opposite or same side end tanks? and should i just get a flange to weld on for my MAF or should I get one of VMPs housings? and as far as the pipe connecting to the throttle body will a vortech work ok or should I custom rig that to lol. I no I dont have a lot of space to work with and I want to be sure I get the MAF in the correct spot so my tuning goes over smoothly sorry guys lots of questions just wanna be sure before I order everything thanks.

Opposite side end tanks. Get a flange to weld into the piping if you will be using the HPX slot style maf. You will need to cut the vortech dishcarge pipe going to the throttle body or just use a new aluminum pipe. You'll need to run all new piping to the intercooler anyway.

JP_Stang

Established Member
I personally kept the pipe coming off the TB from my Vortech kit because I wanted to keep my upper strut tower brace. I don't think I would have been able to keep it if I ran just a 3" round tube to the TB. It looks like it will be ok to me as far as not having too many bends, but I haven't been able to come up with the money yet to have her tuned. I am really hoping to have it done by the end of the month. She has been complete waiting on tune for almost 2 months! I just had too many priorities I had to have the money for.

96snake719

Established Member
ok guys what about this...

For Sale Procharger intercooler - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

between the treadstone and this procharger what would be the best bet thanks. Im sorry I just cant seem to get set on anything!!!! I hate when that happens lol the dimensions on the procharger are 27x12.5x3 the treadstone is 26.5x12x3.5, so there fairly close. Guy said its standard 3 core rated for 825 horse.

JP_Stang

Established Member
I think either one would be fine for you. I can't see the picture of it here at work tho so I don't know what it looks like. Procharger makes a good intercooler too. They use the same cores that Treadstone uses so they are probably equally good.

96snake719

Established Member
ok thanks procharger is rated at 825hp and treadstone is rated like 600-1000hp not sure what the differences are in them

2003GTIZZLE

**** YO COUCH NIKKA!
Established Member
Another CX Racing user here...450rwhp with a V1 Vortech from the jurassic, 3.33 pulley and she never seems low on boost even during the hot summer days. Boost on the dyno peaked at 9.1psi so I am guessing I lose around 2psi currently. Personally for the money if you are that concerned with boost pressure loss a pulley change and a CX cooler are alot cheaper then a 500-1000 dollar intercooler in my opinion. Plus if something happens like a rock or some other damage from street use its a cheap fix.

Just my .02

JTR

JP_Stang

Established Member
^^^ But there again you are turning the blower harder than it needs to be turned. Some people are willing to sacrifice that to safe a dollar, I am not. I just can't see how saving $200 now is worth shortening the life of a $2000 blower. Plus, by the time you bye the cheap intercooler and purchase a new pulley to make up for the pressure loss you are only saving $100 or so. I will pay the $100 now just for the efficiency alone. Also, with a decent cooler now, you have plenty of room to grow in the future if you decide to go bigger without having to purchase the same parts twice and end up spending more money in the end than you needed to.

But in the end OP, it all comes down to what you think is best for you. There isn't really a right or wrong way to do this, just what makes the most sense to you. Obviously there is a bunch of different opinions when it comes to these things.

Users who are viewing this thread