FMIC options??

96snake719

Established Member
Hey guys ditchin my aftercooler next spring and goin air to air, BOV, blow through MAF etc... Love the aftercooler but Im having sooooo many driveability issues I think because of being draw through and dumping my mini race back into the power pipe is creating my MAF to go crazy! I could mess around with it some more but Im about done with it to be honest with you lol. So I think best bet is for me to go the route above. Any way I believe Im gonna just piece my own kit together, can anybody recomend a good intercooler and a size that will support 650 whp without hacking the car up to bad? Thanks for any info guys.

hittinboost

Established Member
sub'd, I'm interested in doing the same, keep us updated with the route you take.

Fwiw, I've always heard cxracing.com was a popular choice for FMIC's, I'm not sure of the quality or fitment but check them out.

96snake719

Established Member
Yea thats where Im gonna get the piping kit from but I heard there intercoolers werent the greatest... somebody correct me if Im wrong.

pacific4v

Established Member
My buddy used they're intercooler without any problems except his car really isn't making the boost they think it should. I've hearers those intercoolers are bad about robbing boost.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
My recommendation is removing the factory bumper support, it'll give you much more clearance to fit the Intercooler, it'll also help with airflow to it!
Treadstone and Godspeed make good ones!

JP_Stang

Established Member
Go with one of the intercoolers that Brute mentioned. Stay away from the CXRacing intercoolers! They cool the charge okay, but they are very restrictive. There are several guys running 700+whp through the Treadstone units. Treadstone uses Garrett cores just like most of the high end companies like Procharger are using and at a fraction of the cost.

crazycarlo

Established Member
I used the cxracing intercooler and their piping kit with no problem. And I saw very little psi loss. I was seeing about 10lbs with a V-1 SC trim and a 3.33 pulley. Thats about normal. I had it setup blow through with a HPX meter and a turbo xs RFL Bov. The car laid down between 430-440 rwhp I cant remember exactly. And that was on a conservative tune. It deff woul dhave made more had I taken it back to the tuner after I worked some problems out.

The parts you buy are all dependent on how much money you can spend. Sure id have loved a paxton IC setup but I couldnt justify spending the money for it on a street car like that.

CIMG0172.jpg

intercooler1.jpg

CIMG0176.jpg

Last edited:

JP_Stang

Established Member
You can get a good Treadstone unit for around $500. I don't think you will regret going ahead and spending the little extra cash now and know that you won't have to replace it later on down the road when you decide to go more boost. The more air you try to force those intercoolers the more restrictive they become. If you are only looking to push 10lbs. through your car, then go that route. But if you plan to go big in the future, do yourself a favor now and spend the little extra cash.

96snake719

Established Member
thanks for the pics! yea I was looking at the treadstone ones, what size would you guys recomend? By the way Im only seeing 11 psi right now through my aftercooler and thats with a 2.87 inch pulley, but the car still made 588 horse I was thinking about going with a 10 % OD crank to try and compensate for any boost lost through the new intercooler, Hopefully my little s trim will survive lol

Last edited:

JP_Stang

Established Member
Depends on how much boost and hp your looking for. I think my buddy has a 24x6x3 and is over 700 to the wheels in his car. Go with the vertical flow style also. They are less restrictive than the cross flow cores.

96snake719

Established Member
Nice! but what Im the most confused about is sizing. How does the size of the above one look, right now Im gonna be makin prolly 11-12 psi and pushin 600 rwhp. Who knows later down the road lol.

Zacharyx

Established Member
I have seen a bunch of the CX units on cars with no issues, personally I would go with this one

VS Racing

I have a bigger version they no longer carry, I replace my bumper support with a tubular piece and have plenty of room to spare

JP_Stang

Established Member
USACHMP, I am just curious as to what RPM your shifting at? Because with your pulley combination (got it off your other thread), I just wanted to point out that you are probably pushing the impeller to max speed with that YSI and are only seeing 20psi. Correct me if I am wrong, but at max impeller speed you should be somewhere in the 26psi range. I know that boost is only a measurement of resistance so if your motor flows a ton of air it won't be as much. But you have a 2V motor so I would expect you to see more boost than that. I garauntee that you are losing 4-5psi through that intercooler. I have a buddy with around the same HP in his 2V and he was losing 4-5psi through his. He was able to switch to a Treadstone unit and doesn't have to turn his blower so hard anymore to make the same power. May be something you might look into if it matters to you. Just a suggestion. Very impressive numbers by the way!

JP_Stang

Established Member
Guys, I am not saying you will have issues. I am simply stating that they are restrictive. I just like everything to be as efficient as possible. That way I am not pushing the blower any harder than it has to be pushed. Its just good practice so that your very expensive parts will last you as long as possible. I like to save money just as much as the next guy, but reliability is also very important to me.

scott2001GT

Established Member
I have a Precision 750hp intercooler for 375 shipped brand new only mounted! call me if interested at 636 667 1960

Users who are viewing this thread