Flex Fuel Kits

Turbosnake95

Established Member
Does anyone know of any GT500 Flex Fuel kits being researched or developed?

I know the GT-R crowd are running them. Seems like it would be something that would sell well. Being able to use anything from 100% pump gas, E85 or any mixture in between and the computer self calibrates itself for the appropriate fueling.

Got Boost Performance seems to have a nice kit (GT-R). Could it be possible to make this kit or something similar like the Ford Flex Fuel setup work for the 13-14 GT500?

GT-R-Flex-Fuel-1.jpg

Last edited:

Bad Company

Established Member
ProEFI was working on a plug and play kit a while ago. Now whether or not they have finished all of the R & D and are now marketing for sale, I don't know. Here is a link to the website. You can give them a call to see. Post your findings, as this may be something I'd consider myself

http://proefi.com/info/

Turbosnake95

Established Member
ProEFI was working on a plug and play kit a while ago. Now whether or not they have finished all of the R & D and are now marketing for sale, I don't know. Here is a link to the website. You can give them a call to see. Post your findings, as this may be something I'd consider myself

http://proefi.com/info/

Sent them an email in regards to more information.

On their website they do have this posted to include a dyno graph -

"Just Finished Dyno Tuning a STOCK 2013 Mustang Shelby GT500 with the only mods being a Catback Exhaust and the addition of a ProEFI Pro128 ECU. This setup was done by Saad Racing in Scottsdale Arizona and is being prepped for future mods. The tuning capability of the ProEFI alone was worth 120whp, and then E85 was added in to the mix for an additional 50whp. Bringing the total to a whopping 170whp and 84 ftlbs of torque!!"

http://proefi.com/info/news/

:rockon:

Imatk

Established Member
I would love something like this setup.

My only question is... does this negate the tune on the car?

Right now I have a Ford Racing tune on my car, but would I need to put it back to stock for something like this?

07 Black Beauty

Established Member

Right now I have a Ford Racing tune on my car, but would I need to put it back to stock for something like this?

A custom tune is needed to run E85 or at least to get the full benefit from it.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I would be extremely interested in this, some of my buddies with Z06s run flex fuel kits and love them. I would think Lund could build something like this.

Bad Company

Established Member

As far as the hard part modifications go concerning ProEFI, you can do anything you want in this area. As far as the PMC is concerned I,m not sure if you replace it with the ProEFI unit or if the ProEFI unit is a secondary Engine Control Management system piggybacked to the stock PMC.

Bad Company

Established Member
A custom tune is needed to run E85 or at least to get the full benefit from it.
The ProEFI system has an optional flex-fuel sensor that can be added to the system. Then the computer constantly adjusts the rate of fuel flow depending on the % content of alcohol in the fuel. This system automatically adjusts from 100% gasoline to whatever percentage alcohol is present in the fuel without changing the tune in the PMC. It makes the car a true Flex-Fuel conversion in the same manner that you can buy one from the OEM manufactures. If you driving the car on E85 with 1/2 tank of fuel and stop to fill up at a gas station that doesn't sell E85, the system will recalculate the fueling rate for perfect A/F ratios, while also adjusting timing to keep away from detonation or engine damage from leaning or over rich out conditions. The system doesn't need to be retuned every time you change back and forth between E85 and gasoline.

Bad Company

Established Member
I would be extremely interested in this, some of my buddies with Z06s run flex fuel kits and love them. I would think Lund could build something like this.
LOL..........Lund is a ProEFI dealer. Or at least he is is listed on ProEFI's website as a dealer for this product. I would imagine he has some experience with this system in the past to be listed as a dealer for them

Imatk

Established Member
The ProEFI system has an optional flex-fuel sensor that can be added to the system. Then the computer constantly adjusts the rate of fuel flow depending on the % content of alcohol in the fuel. This system automatically adjusts from 100% gasoline to whatever percentage alcohol is present in the fuel without changing the tune in the PMC. It makes the car a true Flex-Fuel conversion in the same manner that you can buy one from the OEM manufactures. If you driving the car on E85 with 1/2 tank of fuel and stop to fill up at a gas station that doesn't sell E85, the system will recalculate the fueling rate for perfect A/F ratios, while also adjusting timing to keep away from detonation or engine damage from leaning or over rich out conditions. The system doesn't need to be retuned every time you change back and forth between E85 and gasoline.

So could I just get one of these units, plug it in.. and be good to go?

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
LOL..........Lund is a ProEFI dealer. Or at least he is is listed on ProEFI's website as a dealer for this product. I would imagine he has some experience with this system in the past to be listed as a dealer for them

Well I'm not interested in switching over to PRO EFIs ECU to run a flex fuel sensor, there has to be a way to make a flex fuel sensor work with the Ford ECU

Bad Company

Established Member
So could I just get one of these units, plug it in.. and be good to go?
You'll have to call them to see what is required to make this happen. I know ProEFI was looking for a members of this forum to give them a few cars for R & D. The reason was they wanted to build a complete plug and play wiring harness for the GT500s. Whether or not this ever happened, I don't know. Here is the thread link. So instead of buying a stand alone ECU and Flex Fuel sensor and having to do your own wiring harnesses to make it work. ProEFI wanted to offer a complete kit to make the upgrade easier for the consumer.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...Proefi&highlight=ProEFI+fuel+injection+tuning

Bad Company

Established Member
Well I'm not interested in switching over to PRO EFIs ECU to run a flex fuel sensor, there has to be a way to make a flex fuel sensor work with the Ford ECU
Whew........that is a tall order. You may not realize that the PMC probably would need 2 to 3 times the storage area in the chip for the flash file in the PMC. Then the PMC would need the extra pins for the addition of the flex fuel sensor. The only way I could ever see that happening is starting with a PMC from a car that is already flex fuel and then modifying the file in it to run a GT500 engine. That may be a lot harder to do and be more costly then ProEFI

07 Black Beauty

Established Member

So no larger injectors or pumps needed to run E85 just the PROEFI system?

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Whew........that is a tall order. You may not realize that the PMC probably would need 2 to 3 times the storage area in the chip for the flash file in the PMC. Then the PMC would need the extra pins for the addition of the flex fuel sensor. The only way I could ever see that happening is starting with a PMC from a car that is already flex fuel and then modifying the file in it to run a GT500 engine. That may be a lot harder to do and be more costly then ProEFI

I understand what you're saying. But I wounder how the Z06s and GTRs get away with the stock ECU and running the extra sensor. I'll have to look into it more.

Bad Company

Established Member
Van is correct. It takes roughly 30% more fuel by volume to produce the same Hp in the same engine on E85 versus gasoline. Take a stock 13/14 5.8L engine. It has 54lb injectors installed by Ford, for the injector duty cycle to remain the same with the engine using E85 as fuel oppsed to gasoline the injector size would need to be increased to the 72lb injectors. The fuel pumps at this power level can use a BAP system to maintian proper flow and volume in a 13/14 car. But the earlier model GT500s will more than likely requie pump upgrades, especially if you raise Hp above stock levels.

Turbosnake95

Established Member
UPDATE.

Couple responses from ProEFI:

Me - I was wondering if you were still developing something for the 13-14 Shelby GT500 crowd in regards to Flex Fuel, E85 and adaptive fuel management? Something that would let us run anything from 100% pump gas, E85 and any mixture in between.

ProEFI - We are actively working on developing a patch harness for the GT500. Currently if you would like to run a ProEFI on a GT500 you would have to have a custom harness built.

Me - Does the ProEFI 128 work in parallel with the stock ECU or does it replace it completely?

ProEFI - Currently it would run in parallel with the stock ECU, as the stock ECU provides data to other modules in the vehicle. If someone was willing to donate a car for a few months we could develop a full replacement ECU kit where the stock ECU could be completely removed without losing any factory functionality, it just takes time to reverse engineer all the CAN stuff.

- END

So who here wants to donate their car to ProEFI for a few months? If this wasn't my daily driver I would be very tempted to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread