Fixing up a 2003 Cobra

robvas

Established Member
Mine are still in their box. I need to make my dad free up his lift so he can help me install them.

There is a shop down the street I could call but I hate paying for stuff I can do myself.
Thought about using this as an excuse to buy a $200 welder at Harbor Freight

But I don't know how to weld. Don't have 220 in my garage (would my dryer be close enough?). Sure I could practice on scrap metal for a few days.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Thought about using this as an excuse to buy a $200 welder at Harbor Freight

But I don't know how to weld. Don't have 220 in my garage (would my dryer be close enough?). Sure I could practice on scrap metal for a few days.
Save your money and buy a Hobart, a much better welder. I bought a mig 140, runs on 110v and welds very nice. Can run it on gas or without. You will feel like a pro after a few practice welds.

Yes your dryer outlet or range outlet will run a welder. You will need the correct plug/outlet extension cord to do so. I did it for a few years til I ran a sub panel in my garage. My garage is off my kitchen.

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
Hobart here as well from Harbor Freight. Nice welder. Built my whole turbo kit with it. Welded new mounts in my CJ5 to accept a 408w and 9”.

Spent more on my auto darkening helmet than the welder lol.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

vr4

Established Member
Mine are still in their box. I need to make my dad free up his lift so he can help me install them.

There is a shop down the street I could call but I hate paying for stuff I can do myself.
Don't install subframe connectors on anything but a drive on lift. If all you have is a 2 post be sure to support the car with stands at the ends of the chassis.

robvas

Established Member
Bought the SVE's against my better judgement. Stifflers were out of stock and these were a deal at basically $100 so I'll give them a shot.

Attachments

• IMG_3353.jpeg
    IMG_3353.jpeg
    256.1 KB · Views: 114

robvas

Established Member
Perfect weather this weekend...but no car.

Dropped it off at the chassis shop to get the subframes installed, they called me Thursday afternoon to let me know a header job on another car was being a bitch, so that was going to delay me. Hopefully it should be done Monday or Tuesday. Appreciated the heads up.

Bought some new speakers so I can remove the Mach 460 stuff when I get a free day.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Not a big delay, and they were proactive in notifying you ahead of time. You're going to like the stiffened frame with the subframes installed.

robvas

Established Member
Hadn't heard from the shop yet so I figured I would drive over this evening and peek in the windows and see if it was up on a lift or not.

Parked out in front. Peeked under it and the subframes are on. Driver side window is down. Hrm.

Figure they will call me first thing in the morning, and it wa a just finished at the end of the day today.

robvas

Established Member
They also fixed a tear kind of thing in one of the holes in the subframe, from a tow truck driver or something. Or someone that jacked it up from the wrong spot at one point.

You can see the patch in the one picture

robvas

Established Member
It's far from perfect but this car is decently clean underneath.

Another shot of the subframes I had installed, and I adjusted the right side exhaust pipe as the muffler was tapping the floor on some start/stops.

Attachments

• IMG_4138.jpeg
    IMG_4138.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_4140.jpeg
    IMG_4140.jpeg
    287.5 KB · Views: 87

Rambro

Established Member
I had a set of SFC's sitting in the garage for about 10 years that I never pulled out of the box. Ended up trading them for some speakers.
I’ve had kooks headers, and x pipe sitting in my basement going on 3 years now. Sometimes I get excited about how they will sound, but then I think of how much of a pain they are and I’m just mehh about installing them.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I’ve had kooks headers, and x pipe sitting in my basement going on 3 years now. Sometimes I get excited about how they will sound, but then I think of how much of a pain they are and I’m just mehh about installing them.
It took some self motivation to put my headers on. But I'm really glad I did it.

03' White Snake

Established Member
My brother has you all beat. Has a brand new KB 2.8 from 2015, full return fuel system from 3 years ago, new clutch, 26 spline shaft, PC VC’s from years ago and more parts. I’d guess around 8k in part’s sitting in my garage to be installed on his cobra. When it comes down to it, I’ll have to be the one to install them all for him.

Users who are viewing this thread