Fixing glazed rotors

Jroc

Established Member
I just had my brakes redone, and didn't break them in good, and they are glazed. The noise is pissing me off. Is there any way to fix this without having them turned again or buying new rotors? I was told a 90 degree sander and an abrassive might work, but you want to keep the thickness of the rotor the same around the whole think because if not you'll start getting into shimming, and all that mess when you go to braking.

Would a 90 degree sander and a brillow pad disc remove the glazed area?

Thanks,

Jesse

Jefe

Established Member
How many miles on the rotors before you had them done? Any pics? My rear brakes are grinding and the pads are very thin. Need new pads but not sure if they can turn my rotors or If I need new ones(34k miles.)

Jroc

Established Member
How many miles on the rotors before you had them done? Any pics? My rear brakes are grinding and the pads are very thin. Need new pads but not sure if they can turn my rotors or If I need new ones(34k miles.)

My car has 35,5xx miles, and I had them done two weeks ago.

Its really my fault. I had them done on Friday two weeks ago, and I parked my car after getting house until Monday, and I was going to work where I got on this long strait on this back road, and got down on it and let off at 130 mph, and didn't slam on my brakes, but got on them enough to slow me down somewhat quickly, and after that I started hearing them. I had totally forgotten that I had just had my brakes done a few days before that until I started hearing it churping/squeaking.

Jroc

Established Member
Ok this is starting to annoy me. I took the wheels off to get the rotors, and looking at them more I just don't think they're glazed on either side. They don't feel smooth or slick either.
2yjvkol.jpg

xbbzpv.jpg

So then I took the calipers off to see if the pads were glazed, and to me they sure looked smooth and shiney which says glazed to me.
vevqc1.jpg

So I did the old Shadetree trick where you rub they on ruff concrete to put a new face on them.(Same principle as dressing a loaded up grinding wheel)
2v96k5e.jpg

Well I started driving it to break it in and sure enough it wasn't squeaking. I though I had fixed the problem, but after I did a couple of quick decelerations its started sqeaking again. Its like these pads just keep glazing themselves over which is pissing me off. I also theorized that it might be the springy tabs on the pads rubbing the caliper bracket as you can see that the brackets are pretty shiney wher they have been rubbing.

On a side note I took my replica's off,(no they're not for sale) and put my factory wheels back on because my Falkens are getting pretty worn. The tread wear indicators are being worn into pretty bad.
156rfwg.jpg

My car sure does look uglier with a drop running no spacers on the factory wheels, and bulging 315 555R's. lol

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
What kind of pads?
Super common on Hawk fronts.

They're Hawk HPS pads.

So its normal for them to squeak like crazy on the front brakes when not applying brake pressure?

It sounds like a constant, loud ungreased bearing on a wheelbarrow, or cart, or something. Very annoying, and embarrassing. Will it eventually wear the noise away after a while?

I'm tempted just to order some OEM pads.

Jefe

Established Member
Well I started driving it to break it in and sure enough it wasn't squeaking. I though I had fixed the problem, but after I did a couple of quick decelerations its started sqeaking again.

Arent you supposed to break them in lightly? Greased the back of the pad?

sideways03

LS What?
Established Member
They're Hawk HPS pads.

So its normal for them to squeak like crazy on the front brakes when not applying brake pressure?

It sounds like a constant, loud ungreased bearing on a wheelbarrow, or cart, or something. Very annoying, and embarrassing. Will it eventually wear the noise away after a while?

I'm tempted just to order some OEM pads.

I have the same sounds. Except it is the rear on mine. Annoying as hell and makes the car sound like an old covered wagon. My pads keep glazing too. The noise does NOT eventually go away, at least it hasn't for me. I am getting new OEM pads soon.

EDIT: I have Hawk HPS pads also.

Jroc

Established Member
Arent you supposed to break them in lightly? Greased the back of the pad?

This is how I've been trying to break in my pads.

Instructions for bedding in your brakes

From my understanding you don't want to go crazy trying to slow down while breaking them in, but you do want to brake fairly firm.

I did not grease the back of my pads, but I don't feel that thats the problem. I feel that these pads are just glazing over and squeaking. Other than them being loud they seem to be great pads. They stop hard when you slam on them, but they are not grabby under normal conditions. They do dust pretty bad.(atleast for the time I've had them)

IMO some things are just better to use factory parts than aftermarket parts for a street car. Examples are factory batteries, filters, rotors,(for a Terminator anyway) and in this case brake pads. I know when you change parts you want to try and improve your performance, but think about it, the factory pads stop the car good, they're not noisey, and they are a very good street pad IMO. When you buy them you know they are a quality product that should work with no issue.

Jroc

Established Member
Hawk HPS = squeeking. Solution = roll up windows and turn up radio.

lol.

Turn the radio way up.

I just hate that everyone else is hearing my car squeaking like crazy down the road.

Last edited:

Tractionless1

Established Member
lol.

Turn the radio way up.

I just hate that everyone else is hearing my car squeaking like crazy down the road.

I have HP+ and it sounds like the UPS truck. I guess people are looking and thinking I really need a brake job. Good thing I don't care with people think, especially those driving around in the typical cookie cutter (camry, Suv, etc.) cars. :thumbsup:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I have HPS's and they've never squeaked. Did you replace all the anti-rattle clips?

I put some brake quiet on the rear of the pads and no issues ever.

Users who are viewing this thread