FiST - Which Oil?

Jaytecherectus

Established Member
The supplement manual for the FiST says to use 5W-20. It's a dd but I push the limit as much as I can. Would a 0W-30 or 5W-30 synthetic be a better choice?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
You can use any of the x-30 Signature lubricants in the engine if you chose. Heck, if it's only a grocery getter, never sees redline, you can use their 5W-20.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Correct, xW-16 is on the way. Imagine, an engine lubricant in the 4-5 cSt range @ 100*C. What's next, air lubrication?

I heard years ago that Shell was working on a similar formulation. For low load engines this lube spec could prove to give quite a boost in efficiency.

5.0Flareside

Established Member
I heard years ago that Shell was working on a similar formulation. For low load engines this lube spec could prove to give quite a boost in efficiency.

its been in Japan for a lil while I believe. Honda was the ones pushing it in the us.

TRBO VNM

Yes. With over 20 lbs. of boost!

I've heard many times that the engineers know best. Maybe they engineered something into this engine that has made it capable of running a 20 wt. A magical oil cooler or something. :??:

The 5w-20 they recommend, is it the blend or sythentic? Does ford offer a 5w-20 synthetic only? I know in my Focus ST it recommends the 5w-30 full sythentic, so that is what I use. I would go with that.

And no, nothing magical in the engine. The terminator recommendation from ford is 5w-20 blend but most everyone uses at least 5w-30 at a minimum.

Jaytecherectus

Established Member
Thanks for the replies.

Both the 1.0 and 1.6 ecoboost engines per the owner's manual require semi or full synthetic 5w-20.

When I look up oil recommendation for 1.6 ecoboost in Europe or Australia it comes up with no results. It just says to use an oil meeting Ford specs which is a 5w-20. All other Ford engines are 5w-30 in the UK. What's gives?

In my field of outdoor power equipment, all the engines from Honda, Kawasaki, Kohler, B&S, etc... recommend 10w-30 but I know that a 40 or 50 wt synthetic will double engine life. Not saying that this applies to water-cooled automotive engines.

I just want 5 minutes with the engineering team of this engine. Until that happens I'm just going to use the Amsoil 5w-20 SS.

Jaytecherectus

Established Member
Hmm, so in my new husqvarna zero turn with Kawasaki 25hp engine I should use a 40 weight?

Kawasaki's love thicker oils. I have two commercial companies that were only getting about 1000 hours before major engine problems, broken connecting rods and burning oil 1-2 qts per day caused by excessive crank pressures due to worn pistons, rings, cylinders.

Switched one company to mobil 1 15w-50 and now their engines are pushing 2500 hours.

Another company had bulk delo 15w-40 and they have started running that with the same positive results.

TRBO VNM

not really.. a higher quality 30 will protect it just as well as a 40. if not better.

Thank you

Kawasaki's love thicker oils. I have two commercial companies that were only getting about 1000 hours before major engine problems, broken connecting rods and burning oil 1-2 qts per day caused by excessive crank pressures due to worn pistons, rings, cylinders.

Switched one company to mobil 1 15w-50 and now their engines are pushing 2500 hours.

Another company had bulk delo 15w-40 and they have started running that with the same positive results.

LOL at the hours...only because in 8yrs I only put 124 hrs on my cub cadet.

When would you switch to synthetic? I should pick it up this week and it will be a month or two before it's first use. So I don't know if they come with synthetic from the manufacturer or not.

DevilDog81

Can't fix stupid!!!
Established Member
Thank you

When would you switch to synthetic? I should pick it up this week and it will be a month or two before it's first use. So I don't know if they come with synthetic from the manufacturer or not.

Talking about oil, I need to reset my speed hut oil gauge, the douche who installed it won't return my messages or calls. Can you help me with that TRBO VNM. Thanks. :beer:

Jaytecherectus

Established Member
Thank you

Yeah. 124 hours is nothing. I would just change the oil and oil filter once a year with any 30 weight that is on sale. That's more than most people do. I think Kawasaki doubles the engine warranty if you run their oil.

If it was a commercial application pushing 200 hours a month, I would recommend a synthetic with a stout additive package after 50 hours.

The quality of fuel is the biggest problem I have seen in the last year. I have replaced 3 times as many carburetors compared to other years. Three years ago I rarely replaced carb, I would chuck them in the ultrasonic cleaner and rebuild them. I have found the hard water like crust isn't as bad with Chevron or Shell supreme.

Sorry I got so off topic. Peace!

Users who are viewing this thread