Fish Owners Come Inside...

SSmoked99

Burn that sh*t UBZ
Established Member
I wish I had more space for a fish tank. I sold my 125gl for super cheap too about 2 years ago. 1 of my silver Arowana's grew to 13in. I wish I had the $ at the time to get the red Arowana, but If I remember they were like $200. I always liked my aggressive cichlids and there was nothing more aggressive than the Dovii. He took out Red Devil's, Managuense's, etc. like it was a walk in the park. Some day I'll definitely have another tank. I also had a salt water tank and it was a lot of work, but worth it.

F8LBITEva

Alexis Texas' #1 fan
Established Member
DSC01625-1.jpg

DSC01693.jpg

DSC01691.jpg

DSC01690.jpg

DSC01654.jpg

DSC01637-1.jpg

DSC01642.jpg

DSC01571.jpg

DSC01601.jpg

dsc02126o.jpg

dsc02180g.jpg

dsc02162.jpg

dsc02111u.jpg

dsc02112t.jpg

dsc02115.jpg

RYU583

HADOOOUKENNN
Established Member
your discus are beautiful.... can you lend me some tips???

they are so friggen hard to keep alive..

I changed the water every other week, kept water at around 83 degrees, feed them different foods throughout the week, low light, low traffic areas, peaceful companions and they still wouldn't eat

$300 down the drain....

help me out please

F8LBITEva

Alexis Texas' #1 fan
Established Member
your discus are beautiful.... can you lend me some tips???

they are so friggen hard to keep alive..

I changed the water every other week, kept water at around 83 degrees, feed them different foods throughout the week, low light, low traffic areas, peaceful companions and they still wouldn't eat

$300 down the drain....

help me out please

Well, the key is to start with young ones. Know where they come from because Discus from Asia will show brilliant colors at a very young age but that is because they pump them full of hormones so they appear healthy and colorful but the long term effect on them is stunted growth and short life span. Discus require 85F, lots of food, feed 3-5X a day, clean water, I mean 50% WC's every other day. I know its a PITA but you see the end result :-D

2003GTIZZLE

**** YO COUCH NIKKA!
Established Member
Holy shit 50% every other would turn this guy into a future goldfish owner!

I do 25% or so every other week with my Oscars and keep a strict eye on the filter/carbon. You can never over filter so I got the biggest twin wheel I could fit without turning my tank into a whirpool. It does add to the river effect though which is cool!

Fish1004.jpg

Fish1001.jpg

Horibble glare sorry...
Fish1003.jpg

Never miss a photo op...
Fish005.jpg

Fish008.jpg

F8Lbite Your cichlids look incredible man!!!

JTR

Last edited:

129saleen

Saleen poster
Established Member
i have 2 tanks.. one 55g and other 125g..

I turned on my light last night on the 125g and opened half the lid for half a second and my 10inch+ bala shark jumped out and landed about 8 feet away from the tank.. little ****er got some speed and flew.. There is a big gash on his head now but he is still alive so I am happy.

I have 5 bala's ranging from ~7-11 inches and they are the most skitish fish I have ever owned. They hurt themselves so dam much it's not even funny. I got them all when they were just about 1 inch long years ago and they have somehow made it even after all the injuries.
Also have a pictus catfish.. angelfish.. ugly suckercat fish.. some little see through green thing.. 3 sucker fish ranging from 4" to 14".. and then 3 other little fish.

Ill post a video of my cat trying to catch them (thorugh the glass) he is obsessed with these fish

347zz5.0

Established Member
my 10" Bala Shark committed suicide last night....

He kept ramming the glass lids what I can only guess were his attempts of escaping.
damn near shattered my tops

he hit it so hard he would fall into a coma for like 10 minutes and then go try again just to fall in several comas
poor guy... I loved him
155Gal Bow
IMAG0013.gif

Love Balas!

They are notorious for jumping but are you sure this wasn't a case of violent flashing instead of jumping? I've seen some fish flash so violently they do some nasty damage to themselves. I could see a larger fish, with some weight behind it, be able to kill itself with repeatedly flashing and crashing into the tank.

Last edited:

fire_4_effect

Motorsports = Expensive!
Established Member

amazing collection that you had there! i've always wanted a nice "community" tank, however, my passion for the arowanas changed that since they will eat anything that they can swallow; that kind of left me with no other option except to keep strictly those types (for some reason they don't mess with algae eaters (sucker fishes) :thumbsup:

F8LBITEva

Alexis Texas' #1 fan
Established Member
amazing collection that you had there! i've always wanted a nice "community" tank, however, my passion for the arowanas changed that since they will eat anything that they can swallow; that kind of left me with no other option except to keep strictly those types (for some reason they don't mess with algae eaters (sucker fishes) :thumbsup:

Thanks man. You can keep Arrows with anything that wont fit in their mouth. Large species of Geophagus, Rays, severums, catfish, plecos but youll need massive filtration and a big tank 6FT+. Definitely check out Monsterfishkeepers.com for ideas and answers to questions you may have.

fire_4_effect

Motorsports = Expensive!
Established Member
Thanks man. You can keep Arrows with anything that wont fit in their mouth. Large species of Geophagus, Rays, severums, catfish, plecos but youll need massive filtration and a big tank 6FT+. Definitely check out Monsterfishkeepers.com for ideas and answers to questions you may have.

currently my 2 arowanas are in a 55g tank but i'm expecting to go up to a 100+ gallons within the next 6 months or so... they can throw down some trout/meal worms!!! :-D

the filtration that i currently have is more than enough, between the 2 filters... the water in the tank is getting circulated around 700g per hour! :thumbsup:

03LCalgaryAB

Established Member
I used to have an Silver Arowana as well until it committed suicide. He was about 6 inches and managed to jump out a hole in the back :(

I have a 180gal that I am slowly stocking up..cichlids, silver dollars & mono at the moment

Well, the key is to start with young ones. Know where they come from because Discus from Asia will show brilliant colors at a very young age but that is because they pump them full of hormones so they appear healthy and colorful but the long term effect on them is stunted growth and short life span. Discus require 85F, lots of food, feed 3-5X a day, clean water, I mean 50% WC's every other day. I know its a PITA but you see the end result :-D

damn 50%+ water change on a 125g is a PITA. I'll stick to a more hardy fish. Your fish look amazing btw. Great setups!

Jack Burton

Established Member
135g setup - 14" male dovii

125g setup - community tank/grow out tank: female midas/devil/ jack dempsey, green terror, carpintes, firemouth, silver dollars, pleco.

Both tanks are running wet/dry filters for filtration. If I remember right one pump is 1,000gph and the other is 1,200gph.

With the exception of the dovii, I'm kind of keeping easy to maintain and acquire cichlids since I'm not as big into the hobby anymore. I used to keep more rare (not usually found in pet stores, usually have to order them from Rapps) cichlids such as:

red tiger motaguence
umbriferum
zonatum
pearsaei
lyonsi
etc...

I also went on a kick of keeping pure midas (99% of the ones you get at the pet store are red devil (labiatus) mixed with midas (citrinellum). So, I was usually ordering a bunch of Rapps on a consistent basis.

Jack Burton

Established Member
currently my 2 arowanas are in a 55g tank but i'm expecting to go up to a 100+ gallons within the next 6 months or so... they can throw down some trout/meal worms!!! :-D

the filtration that i currently have is more than enough, between the 2 filters... the water in the tank is getting circulated around 700g per hour! :thumbsup:

Personally, with arowana I wouldn't go with anything smaller than a 180g when it comes time to upgrade. That would be the minimum I would go with.

Have you looked into wet/dry filters yet? If not, I recommend you check them out, especially if you upgrade to a tank that has already been drilled and has the overflow boxes. You can make the wet/dry pretty cheap and easy, with the most expensive part being the pump/s. Usually ends up cheaper than buying a bunch of HOB filters or canister filters.

Granted you can buy a wet/dry that's already setup, but if you are on a budget you can make one on the cheap. :beer:

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
i love the arrowanas---i used to always keep one when i had fish tanks

the biggest one i had is pictured below. its roughly 12-15" in the pic below---it was over 18" when i had to part with it---just too big for my 120 gallon tank.

s3500083.jpg

RYU583

HADOOOUKENNN
Established Member
That's no where near enough for Discus. Some Discus breeders don't even have filters on their tanks because they do daily 100% wc's.

It was fine for a good while.... one day my heater broke and it was all downhill from there.
100% daily water change seems like the bacteria wouldn't have a chance to grow...

Love Balas!

They are notorious for jumping but are you sure this wasn't a case of violent flashing instead of jumping? I've seen some fish flash so violently they do some nasty damage to themselves. I could see a larger fish, with some weight behind it, be able to kill itself with repeatedly flashing and crashing into the tank.

Flashing? whats that?

I tried looking up any info while he was doing this, but I did not have another tank to put him in and I could not approach the tank without him going nuts and then spearheading himself into the gravel at which point he would appear dead just to gather himself and do it another 50 times...

he had considerable damage to himself :cryying:

Users who are viewing this thread