Fish Owners Come Inside...

fire_4_effect

Motorsports = Expensive!
Established Member
i've kind of picked up a new hobby... raising fishes (arowanas to be exact)! enjoy the vid and plz share your pet fish(es)! :beer:

th_Arowanas.jpg

i currently have a silver arowana (the bigger one, around 7-8 inches) and a golden jardini (the smaller one, 3-4 inches), both are carnivores and will eat literally anything that is in the tank (except for the sucker fish, it maintains their home so they don't mess with it). the silver is semi-aggressive and the jardini is extremely aggressive... that is why i got it much smaller so it would not mess with the silver (for now). the water parameters are some what difficult to maintain for these types of fishes, however, they are beautiful and graceful fishes; i enjoy watching them swim... so peaceful.

semperfimrn1

Established Member
i am also into aquariums.

i recently took down my 125g Reef tank.

but i had to have a tank up and running so i currently have a 80g planted tank. mostly community fish. tetras as such along with the plants and drift wood.

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
WOW, how much was he? They have one around here thats over a foot long that they want 500 for. I love fresh water fish, saltwater are to much effort. I was rocking piranha's for a long time, but the tank is so hard to clean with those bastards in it. So now im just rocking african cichlids. Il see if i have pics. Hes beautiful!

My favorite to own so far where the piranha and i had a stingray till he got WAY to big. I really want to buy a shark egg and raise it. Id also really like to own some puffer fish, but they require brackish water which is useless for anything but puffers.

OOOOLD feeding video back when i first got him and still had smaller tanks (gets good around 0:51 - carnage at 2:05):
[youtube_browser]JqKV4XrfKv4[/youtube_browser]

Only pic i could find of my currect cichlid set up with 8 fish. Only 35-40 gallons, but i love this tank.
img00019201009171312.jpg

My dad has angel fish, silver dollar, and some sort of fresh water shark that we got when they were only an inch long and 4 years later they are almost half a foot each. Has a 150 gallon. Il get pics in the am. I love the more aggressive fish, they always come to me when they see me walk by in hopes for food or pets (yes my catfish literally enjoys being pet lol). My dads had those fish for almost 5 years and they STILL run like hell when you walk by.

Last edited:

Fuzzy Logic

ʎʇıןɐǝɹ ɹnoʎ ʇɔǝɾǝɹ ן
Established Member
my stepdad wants an arowana and has a pretty decent sized tank. i just have a small 5 gal tank for now.

Hi-Hat

Established Member
I love arowanas!

Mine out-grew his 100 gallon tank a few years back. He started jumping out of the damn tank! I love the fish but I can't justify having an even bigger tank around.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
My LFS had a huge arowana in one of their ponds the other day. They're really graceful.

fire_4_effect

Motorsports = Expensive!
Established Member
i am also into aquariums.

i recently took down my 125g Reef tank.

but i had to have a tank up and running so i currently have a 80g planted tank. mostly community fish. tetras as such along with the plants and drift wood.

reef set-ups are so nice... having a community tank is also nice, especially when all the fishes get along; arowanas are different. i have to carefully pick out their tank mates and even then, depending on the temperament of my arowanas... they may not accept the newcomers; sucks but true.

WOW, how much was he? They have one around here thats over a foot long that they want 500 for. I love fresh water fish, saltwater are to much effort. I was rocking piranha's for a long time, but the tank is so hard to clean with those bastards in it. So now im just rocking african cichlids. Il see if i have pics. Hes beautiful!

My favorite to own so far where the piranha and i had a stingray till he got WAY to big. I really want to buy a shark egg and raise it. Id also really like to own some puffer fish, but they require brackish water which is useless for anything but puffers.

OOOOLD feeding video back when i first got him and still had smaller tanks (gets good around 0:51 - carnage at 2:05):
[youtube_browser]JqKV4XrfKv4[/youtube_browser]

Only pic i could find of my currect cichlid set up with 8 fish. Only 35-40 gallons, but i love this tank.
img00019201009171312.jpg

My dad has angel fish, silver dollar, and some sort of fresh water shark that we got when they were only an inch long and 4 years later they are almost half a foot each. Has a 150 gallon. Il get pics in the am. I love the more aggressive fish, they always come to me when they see me walk by in hopes for food or pets (yes my catfish literally enjoys being pet lol). My dads had those fish for almost 5 years and they STILL run like hell when you walk by.

thx for sharing! at first i did want a african cichlid tank but decided to go with more "expensive" fishes... arowanas (the silver ran me about $75 and the jardini ran me around $150). currently they are in a 55 gal tank, i predict within 10-12 months from now... i will have to upgrade to a 100+ gal tank :eek: :-D

Last edited:

G2Mach1

Cameltosis
Established Member
Cool. I like those Arowanas. We keep a few cichlid tanks in our house, plus a turtle and large lizard. The main tank is 125 gal with about 40 various Cichlids. 1 huge Tiger Oscar, 20+ med - large Jack Dempseys, Electric Blue African, Yellow Africans, Bumble Bees, and some other odds ones. Plus a monster 18" sucker Fish (lazy bum). Maybe I can dig up a photo and repost.

2003GTIZZLE

**** YO COUCH NIKKA!
Established Member
I have had fish my entire life, nothing more relaxing then watching them and now my 1.5year old daughter loves them. Right now I have two oscars Master and Craft with some snails and really cool dwarf spotted plecostamus. Just a 40 Long tank for now but I am looking into a 90 gallon corner tank with a bow front, I just cant see spending over 500 bucks on glass.

I set it up to mimic the bottom of a river in the amazon. I now have lots of brazilian drift wood covered in the good algae and the rocks are not as bright, I like it.
StarvedRock07003-1.jpg

JTR

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member
I started with fresh water, which i think everyone does then over the years started going with salt water. Right now I have a few Damsels There pretty hardy and durable, aggressive, but there are so many different kinds you can make a full tank of them and not get bored. Plus I like going to the beach and finding critters and putting them in the tanks. Snails, crabs, Starfish ect

fire_4_effect

Motorsports = Expensive!
Established Member
I love arowanas!

Mine out-grew his 100 gallon tank a few years back. He started jumping out of the damn tank! I love the fish but I can't justify having an even bigger tank around.

glad to hear that i'm not the only one who "likes" these ancient fishes... :thumbsup:
these arowanas are certainly jumpers, i always ensure that my lids are on and every night before i go to bed, i place 2 decent weighted books on top of the lids for added safety measures; it would suck to lose one of them.

My LFS had a huge arowana in one of their ponds the other day. They're really graceful.

ponds are the ultimate environment for arowanas... perhaps one day when my gets around that size.

Last edited:

Z28

Established Member
Man, I came in here thinking it was a thread about Camaros. (leaving thread now)

lol

semperfimrn1

Established Member
here is a pic of my planted

0674b5ad.jpg

love the way my tetras school together. think its awesome seeing 30 small fish school together, as oppose to having 5 or 6 big fish.

ive kept a stingray before in my saltwater, eels, ive hatched a shark out of its egg before. various corals with tons of live rock. i love Tangs tho.

RYU583

HADOOOUKENNN
Established Member
my 10" Bala Shark committed suicide last night....

He kept ramming the glass lids what I can only guess were his attempts of escaping.
damn near shattered my tops

he hit it so hard he would fall into a coma for like 10 minutes and then go try again just to fall in several comas
poor guy... I loved him
155Gal Bow
IMAG0013.gif

Slightly Motivated

Stormtrooper
Established Member
my 10" Bala Shark committed suicide last night....

He kept ramming the glass lids what I can only guess were his attempts of escaping.
damn near shattered my tops

he hit it so hard he would fall into a coma for like 10 minutes and then go try again just to fall in several comas
poor guy... I loved him

lol awww, its sad but i couldnt help but laugh at the idea of a little fish coma. Especially pulling out of it just to try again. Rip lil fishy

RYU583

HADOOOUKENNN
Established Member
lol awww, its sad but i couldnt help but laugh at the idea of a little fish coma. Especially pulling out of it just to try again. Rip lil fishy

amazingly strong fish....
he did this over the course of 2 days! every time I thought he was dead, he would just wake back up and smash into the glass.

Never seen a fish just go nuts before:(

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Oh, if you haven't checked it out already you should wander over to monsterfishkeepers.com

Be prepared to be amazed by some of the setups people have.

Users who are viewing this thread