first trip to track disappointing

canadiancobra

Established Member
Went to the track tonight with the cobra for the first time and it sucked. Are nitto dr worth anything. Worst time was a 13.9 at 113 with a 2.5 60ft Best time was a 13.5 at 116 with a 2,6 60ft no traction till the middle of 3rd launthing at just over 2k yet on the highway it spins a bit in first then hooks hard Previous owner ran a 12.5 with bad wheelhop at 123 but broke his dif housing. i tryed shortshifting out of first and 2nd but it did not make a difference. I made a total of 5 runs then went home pissed the car should have a high 11 with 123 mph. It was the first race of the season and the track was unpreped but still i think regular street tires would have been better and i am not new to racing as i used to have a fox that would run a 11.6 with slicks with a 1.57 60ft and 12.6 with cheap cooper 295 tires with a 1.9 60ft tim WHAT GIVES

Danderson

Established Member
u have to do a 5 sec + burnout with nitttos to get them to hook. when you can see the smoke rolling out you know ur good.

40calcobra

Established Member
So your whippled and stuck in the 13s? Sounds like you need more time in the seat. These cobras are a pain to get moving, but a 2.6 60ft u r just overpowering the tires. I am cutting 2.0 60ft on nitto invo's and I am no Evan smith!

scotts99snake

Established Member
Like everybody else has said, a good smokey burnout is a must. You will have to ride the clutch out a little way too, depending how well the track is prepped.

canadiancobra

Established Member
u have to do a 5 sec + burnout with nitttos to get them to hook. when you can see the smoke rolling out you know ur good.

why the hell does the car hook good on the highway, i get very little weellspin the track should hook better becaus of all the rubber that is put down by other cars I only did a rolling burnout of the box i did not heat them very long

40calcobra

Established Member
why the hell does the car hook good on the highway, i get very little weellspin the track should hook better becaus of all the rubber that is put down by other cars I only did a rolling burnout of the box i did not heat them very long

Are you doing digs on the highway or slow rolls?

gabe1530

Banned
that rolling burnout on the nittos is killing you. on the highway, your tires have been heated just from driving around but not nearly the same amount as doing a proper burnout.

04SloSnake

Its just an Eaton
Established Member
When it comes to drag racing there is no replacement for seat time. I have yet to have my Cobra on the 1/4, but with a previous car I took 1.2 secs off my ET just with seat time. It took me 3 trips to the track, but it paid off in the end. Just keep going and find what works best.

canadiancobra

Established Member
whith a best mph of 123 what should my car be able to run if i can get it to hook. It is about 4000lb with me in the car. Once i run quicker than a 13.50 i will get the boot as i have no roll cage

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
With the Nitto's, you're going to have to heat them up and run them at 17 psi...I use to have a mid 10 second FOX myself, these Cobra's are much heavier!!!

Best I did with the Nitto's was a 1.80 .... GL :)

mach1033

Established Member
I would try the nto5r or the m/t Dr's. I had the m/t and they dead hooked in first gear at over 600 HP.

2SlwPgy

Established Member
What were you launching at? I launched at 2500 it bogged with a 2.0 60ft but I ran 12.3 @ 119 on Nittos. I only have a 2.9 upper and JLT intake so you should be way faster than me.

canadiancobra

Established Member
What were you launching at? I launched at 2500 it bogged with a 2.0 60ft but I ran 12.3 @ 119 on Nittos. I only have a 2.9 upper and JLT intake so you should be way faster than me.

i was launching just over 2 and it would spin instantly and i would try short shifting into second but it made no difference. It only started to hook in the middle of 3rd My 8th mile times were in the mid to low 9s at about 85mph

Last edited:

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Definitely need more heat in the tires. Do a good 2nd gear burnout until the smoke is rolling.

Launch starting around 3500 and move up/down from there. Do not dump the clutch, instead ride it out until you feel the car hooking then floor from there. If you dump and punch it won't hook and you'll be replacing halfshafts. If it dead hooks dumping it you'll be replacing halfshafts. I've done both, it's not fun.

zincslowbra

Established Member
i was launching just over 2 and it would spin instantly and i would try short shifting into second but it made no difference. It only started to hook in the middle of 3rd My 8th mile times were in the mid to low 9s at about 85mph

seat time as already stated, unless you have tires dont bother launching at anything but idle like a stoplight start, just slip it out and nail it. be careful with DR as you can get wheelhop esp. in a vert. i run a DR and just slip out off idle, yes im losing .4 tenths or so but i like driving it home. i 60ft about 2.0 and run 12.2s once your rollin the DR's will hook esp. at track, you should have plenty of pull to clip high 11.9s at that mph with an off idle launch. if you drive it hard with slicks launch at 4-45 with subframes you should 60 round low 1.7s maybe high 1.6 and 11.4 or 11.5 is in store at that mph GL

Users who are viewing this thread