First trip to the track in the Lethal Performance 2011 5.0L Mustang GT

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
WOW!!! First run out last year in your 2010 GT500 was 12.77 @112 MPH (not sure if that was your best of the day). Now today your first run in the Mustang GT is a 12.79!!! The 5.0 is impressive. I got the V6 for now because I wanted navigation and all of the tech goodies and a mustang as a daily driver. Still have my 03 cobra for now. GT or GT500 later this year.

Last edited:

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Some more pics from our first night at the track with the new 5.0L.

Thanks Danielle!

4692518930_6f6629604e_b.jpg

4692518628_d998d4709f_b.jpg

4691888759_0916de5967_b.jpg

4691888551_9e8c82fe76_b.jpg

4691888375_d9c1855cb3_b.jpg

4691887899_58e6aecb02_b.jpg

4691887339_2a7c8649f8_b.jpg

4691886653_9a6b0af395_b.jpg

4691885265_2e1d15e812_b.jpg

jleews6

Established Member
I want to see a stock 03 cobra vs that.

My 03 went 12.6 @113 when it was a week old and 100% stock so I would say that these new GTs will be faster in time. I think that in the fall we will see 12.3 and 12.40 out of these cars.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
This car, in this weather we have now will run 12.50's as it sits, I just have to 60 foot it better. I'm anxious for this coming Wednesday so I cam go for it again.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
My 03 went 12.6 @113 when it was a week old and 100% stock so I would say that these new GTs will be faster in time. I think that in the fall we will see 12.3 and 12.40 out of these cars.

In what weather? elevation?

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
This car doesn't hop too bad, and doesn't hop at all with the right launch, and it has pirelli's which aren't half bad when they're real hot. 2nd gear burnouts ftw!

jleews6

Established Member
In what weather? elevation?

:shrug:That was about 7 years ago so I have no idea what the weather was like but I bought the car around this time of the years and the runs were at Virginia motorsports park so Im sure it was decent.
I would love to take a new 5.0 and add just tires and pull the belt. I wouldn't be suprised to see 12.2 or better at 114 plus.

Driver72

Established Member
Just to be clear, the Brembo Brake package tires and wheels are lighter than the non Brembo Brake package tires and wheels (by about 4-6 lbs each). I suspect the Brembo brakes themselves probably weigh 1-2 lbs heavier than the non Brembo brakes. But you are still lighter overall with the Brembo brake wheels/tires. And that's rotational mass too, so with every 1 pound rotational mass lost it's equal to about 2.5-2.75 sprung weight in my testing.

Further, the Brembo brake car comes with no spare tire. That is a weight saving of about 30-35 lbs too.

Sure a non Brembo brake car could just remove their spare as well, but then technically it is not "stock" anymore. It's running with weight reduction.

Further, I believe, as others do that the 3.55 gear ratio would be superior for drag racing.
There is no need for the shift to 5th. So you save about .2 seconds from that shift alone.
Also, you can launch the car at a higher rpm with equal or less tire spin than you can with the 3.73's. On top of that, you'll get less wheel spin or breaking loose of the tires going into 2nd as well.

With 3.55's you can probably lightly mod the car to 15-20 hp more and still finish in 4th.

I'm sure on the street in a rolling race that starts in 2nd or 3rd and goes to say 120 mph, the 3.73's should pull a bit though. But on a drag strip, the ability of the 3.55's to hit 116-117 mph in 4th make it the axle ratio of choice for the 1/4 mile runs.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
You can go to ~117 mph with 3.55s on stock height tires with the stock 6850 rpm rev limiter.

On the Brembo package...where are the numbers that show the Brembo's with 19's weighs less than the standard brakes with 18's? Not saying it isn't true (because I don't know), but I'd like to see the data itself.

Thanks.
Bob

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
You can go to ~117 mph with 3.55s on stock height tires with the stock 6850 rpm rev limiter.

On the Brembo package...where are the numbers that show the Brembo's with 19's weighs less than the standard brakes with 18's? Not saying it isn't true (because I don't know), but I'd like to see the data itself.

Thanks.
Bob

Me too,

A GT500 rotor is what is used in that package and they weigh 25.3 pounds I suspect that is more than 2 pounds heavier than the standard GT rotor.
oemgt500rotorwtny5.jpg

Not being a drag racer anymore this would not bother me one bit if I was using one of these cars.
Instead I would be on a road course and repeatedly slowing from 130+ to 60 and less 20 or more times within very short time intervals, which at that point that mass is welcome being used specifically to dissipate all that heat energy.

These cars are going to kick serious ASS!:rockon::dancenana:

Driver72

Established Member

Thanks.
Bob

Yes, as stated you can do about 116-117 mph in 4th with the 3.55's

The 18" tires come with P Zero Nero All Seasons.
They weigh 29 lbs each.

The 19" tires on Brembo pack come with P Zero Max Performance
They weigh 27 lbs each.

Not sure which thread it was in that I read, but the 18" base wheels weigh around 31-32 lbs. If I'm not mistaken they are the same as the 18" wheels on the 2010. I'm sure somebody here has weighed them and can verify.

On one of the other Mustang forums, a guy who is well connected to someone inside Ford, asked how much the 19" Brembo brake package wheels weigh and he said, "just under 30 lbs each"
He said he did not clarify if that was 29 lbs or 29.5 lbs or 29.9 lbs, but either way, under 30 lbs is 1-2 lbs less than the 18's.

As for where I got 2 lbs for the Brembo brakes themselves, well that was a guesstimate based on asking on a prior car how much more weight a BBK would add to my brake weight.
A shop told me that it would only add a couple pounds per corner over my stock weight.
The Brembo are only 1/2 bigger correct? And they are vented too correct?
So I'd think 2 lbs more than the stock would be fair.
But even if they were twice that, you still don't have anymore weight with the Brembo brake package than you do with the base 18" wheels.

Further, even if the overall weight of the wheels, tires and brakes were the same, you'd still be a bit better off with the Brembo's as the added weight is in the brakes, which are the closest to the center diameter of the hub. The weight further out (the tires) have the biggest impact on rotational mass.

BTW, the optional 19" wheels and tires that you can order without the Brembos are the worst.
Those tires alone are
31 lbs each (2 more than the 18's and 4 more than the Brembo brake package tires).
And again from what I heard those 19 inch wheels weigh 32-33 lbs, again 1-2 lbs heavier than the 18's and 3-4 lbs heavier than the Brembo 19's.

In any case, it doesn't appear that the Brembo brake package car's rotational mass would be any different than the base cars, and as stated, in fact it may very well be a bit less, especially when you take into account the weight savings from not having the spare tire standard either.

However, if somebody actually knows the weight difference of the Brembo brake package rotors and brakes over the standard, lets hear it. That's the only part of the weight calculations I was estimating on.

Last edited:

Bob Cosby

Established Member
Ok, tks for the info. It seems we're really not sure if the Brembo package is lighter or not, though it also seems rather obvious that it doesn't add significant weight.

Would be very interesting to see some actual corroborating numbers.

Driver72

Established Member
Ok, tks for the info. It seems we're really not sure if the Brembo package is lighter or not, though it also seems rather obvious that it doesn't add significant weight.

Would be very interesting to see some actual corroborating numbers.

I agree, I'm really surprised nobody yet with 18, optional 19 and Brembo 19 inch wheels/tires have not taken them off and weighed the set yet.
Would give us some verification for sure.
However, Tirerack lists the weight of the tires and the weights given me regarding the wheels seems dead on target for OEM non forged wheels of those sizes.

I'll ask him if he can ask his insider friend the weight difference between the Brembo rotors/brakes and the regular ones.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Its even easier than taking parts off and weighing them. All it takes is a dealer who has seen a 5.0 with and without the brembo brake package to look at the shipping weight of the two mustangs. My 03 mach 1 shipped with a weight of 3317lbs.:beer:

Driver72

Established Member
Its even easier than taking parts off and weighing them. All it takes is a dealer who has seen a 5.0 with and without the brembo brake package to look at the shipping weight of the two mustangs. My 03 mach 1 shipped with a weight of 3317lbs.:beer:

but the two cars would have to be identically equipped ( other than the Brembos) and have the exact same amount of fluids in them. Which would probably never be the case at the same dealer.

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
but the two cars would have to be identically equipped ( other than the Brembos) and have the exact same amount of fluids in them. Which would probably never be the case at the same dealer.

Are we talking about a lb or two or a significant difference in weight(10+ lbs)? I just spoke with a Sales Manager and he will check later this week or early next. He was not sure if the shipping weight is for each car or a base from each lineup of cars(each mustang gt might have the same shipping weight regardless of options).

Either case The Sales Manager I pm is a member here and has received his 11 gt500 w/ svt pack. I am curious as to what his shipping weight was.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
The 3.73's will be fine with the stock cars, it's the factory limiter that is causing me to shift early. Without the limiter, I would be able to rev the car to 7000+ rpm and pass in 4th which would be best since the car would be passing the traps just past peak power RPM. We'll see what raising the limiter does this coming Wednesday. I am going to make a few more 100% stock passes, then we will load the SCT tune that only raises the limiter, than we will install the Bogarts.

Users who are viewing this thread